Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This makes me want to put an audio clip with the sound of a vacuum on my thumb drive so if someone pulls up trying this I can make it seem like mine is working

Delightfully evil!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, obligatory Tesla moment - I was driving to the dump yesterday in the pickup. An S was coming the other way.

I just checked Tesla Motors Shop Accessories but couldn't find the Dump Trunk one; maybe it's from EVAnnex. :)

This old chestnut from six years ago might not sound like much of a Tesla moment now, but I thought I'd throw it out there so we can see how far we've come:

Shortly after I got my Roadster, my wife and I decided to try out a longer drive. At one point I was going 50-60mph on a curvy mountain road, and when we got to a straight section I could see an 18-wheeler laboring slowly in the right lane (we were going up a fairly steep part). Unfortunately, I also saw that he was almost to the point where the lanes merged and became one; with all the turns, passing might be difficult. I wanted to get there in front of the truck, so naturally I pressed down on the accelerator - around 55mph going up a steep hill. My wife hit her head restraint hard enough that she got a headache and was mad at me the rest of the day.

OK, even when it happened, it wasn't much of a Tesla moment - my wife was really mad about it and told me I could never accelerate without warning her first (something she still bugs me about). But what made it a "Tesla Moment" for me was how well that story worked to change the minds of people seeing an EV for the first over the next few years. Sure, first I had to get past the ubiquitous "Really? Electric? You mean, all electric? No gas at all?" questions. Back this far, well outside of California, they were surprised to hear that EVs even existed, so they hadn't yet been conditioned by media about "range anxiety". Questions about range and charging time weren't the first questions out; in fact shorter conversations reasonably often didn't even get there. Once it was established that the car was electric, the questions were more often either "Can it go on the freeway?" or "Does it handle hills and mountains OK?"

Of course taking them for a ride has always worked best as an answer, but there have been an enormous number of conversations where that wasn't practical. So the story of my wife's headache became what I used to get across the idea that yes, electric cars can perform. It worked wonderfully, though now in the days of viral P85D launch videos, it seems pretty hokey.

Last edited:
Once it was established that the car was electric, the questions were more often either "Can it go on the freeway?" or "Does it handle hills and mountains OK?"

I got this just a couple of weeks ago. A local company organized a little car show for their 16th anniversary (the idea being that their mascot was now old enough to drive) and invited a couple of local owners of cool cars to exhibit. I was there in my Model S along with a Tesla Roadster, a DeLorean, and an Audi R8.

One fellow asked me something like, "How does it do on the highway? Can you get it up to 60?"

I kind of smiled at him and gently informed him that it'll do 0-60 in just over 5 seconds and the top speed is 140MPH. Most amusing!

It was a fun little show overall. I think the best thing about it was how the other three all brought weird, impractical, but cool cars, while I just brought my family car but it fit right in. I kept joking to people that I had more seats than the other three combined.

I had not realized the Roadster looks so much like a Prius.

Just slightly less of a head-scratcher...

I used to drive a silver Prius (2005). Now I have a silver Model S. The first time I drove the Model S to my parents' house (on the street I grew up on), I parked in the driveway as I always do. Within about 10 minutes, one of the neighbors (who has known me since I was about 2 years old, or a Really Long Time) stopped by to say hi, saying, "I saw your car parked here in the driveway". Huh? Nobody knew I bought this car. Oh well. We kept talking for about another 5 minutes about random things before he realized this wasn't my usual car and he finally asked, "Wait, did you get a new car? What kind of car is this?" I started explaining what a Tesla Model S is, but within about 30 seconds he "got it" ("This is an electric car! And they make those at the old NUMI plant up in the Bay Area!"). The rest of the conversation was pretty pleasant, although I was left wondering how one could mistake a Model S for a Gen-II Prius (especially since the gentleman in question also drives a Prius of similar vintage).

Just slightly less of a head-scratcher...

I used to drive a silver Prius (2005). Now I have a silver Model S. The first time I drove the Model S to my parents' house (on the street I grew up on), I parked in the driveway as I always do. Within about 10 minutes, one of the neighbors (who has known me since I was about 2 years old, or a Really Long Time) stopped by to say hi, saying, "I saw your car parked here in the driveway". Huh? Nobody knew I bought this car.

I don't think it's that much of a head-scratcher. I think "I saw your car parked here in the driveway" really meant "I saw you get out of that car while looking out my window."

I don't think it's that much of a head-scratcher. I think "I saw your car parked here in the driveway" really meant "I saw you get out of that car while looking out my window."

Well, he knew my "normal" car was a Prius...he'd seen me drive it for the past ten years and somewhere along the way it was a factor in him buying one. I'll give it to him that my Prius and my Tesla are approximately the same color, otherwise known as "silver accented with bugspots and other gunk you pick up by driving through Central California". :)

"Some things must be believed to be seen."

Car, check. Silver, check. Parents' house, check. Must be bmah.

If you've ever seen that video of the university-aged kids bouncing and passing basketballs to each other, some in black shirts, some in white (you are told before the video starts to count the number of times a white-shirted student touches the ball), you don't even see the gorilla that suddenly walks calmly into frame, through the group, and out of frame. I don't think I've spoiled the fun for everyone - I knew about it and tried to do the counting while noticing the gorilla, and couldn't do it. The brain is great at filtering out extraneous information. Now, if your neighbour had seen the DRLs...??

"Some things must be believed to be seen."

Car, check. Silver, check. Parents' house, check. Must be bmah.

If you've ever seen that video of the university-aged kids bouncing and passing basketballs to each other, some in black shirts, some in white (you are told before the video starts to count the number of times a white-shirted student touches the ball), you don't even see the gorilla that suddenly walks calmly into frame, through the group, and out of frame. I don't think I've spoiled the fun for everyone - I knew about it and tried to do the counting while noticing the gorilla, and couldn't do it. The brain is great at filtering out extraneous information. Now, if your neighbour had seen the DRLs...??

I totally agree. The cars may not look the same, but sedan with the same color at his orients house is what triggers for attention without close inspection.

selective attention test - YouTube

Yesterday I did a lot of driving - a bit over 200 miles in total. I figured on "localing" the SC in Dedham for 10-15 minutes on my way from visiting the Seabrook SC construction to southern MA, since I was already down around 55 miles or so by then but still had 80 to go for the day. When I got there, the place was closed, 2 unattended cars in SC stalls, and a gentleman walking around. I asked if he was on a road trip, or just a busy day like me. Turns out he was passing by and didn't know about the Dedham store/SC/SC and just thought he'd stop by. He's not even an owner, just interested and had already been on a test drive out of Natick.
We ended up talking for about 40 minutes, I showed him supercharge.info on my screen, etc... (I got up to 85% charge, but I don't feel guilty.:smile:)
I apologized for talking his ear off, and he thanked me for the chat. Maybe another Model S sold, who knows!

BTW, judging by the plates (CA and MA EV) the 2 cars in SC stalls were probably an inventory and CPO left by the staff. Do you call that EVing a SC?

The oldest son was planning on becoming a mechanic, now he is considering whether it might be better to become an electrical-engineer.
"Same thing"? ;)
Not where I live. Electricians install stuff, electrical engineers design and build stuff :) Both are very respectable and good jobs imho, but guess which pays more.
I think you misunderstood my comment. Added underlines to help clarify. I was referring to a future where mechanics spend a lot more time training for EVs than ICEs.

I think you misunderstood my comment. Added underlines to help clarify. I was referring to a future where mechanics spend a lot more time training for EVs than ICEs.

I was contemplating this a little while ago. How "mechanics" in the future will be closer to electro-mechanical technicians, learning about how electricity and computer circuitry will drive motors rather than ICEs.

As do most of u I'm sure, when going through a turn, you lean forward and into the turn. At the apex you punch it launching yourself vertically. Well I leaned forward today in my Nissan Sentra rental when going into a turn. Yeah, I almost smacked my head on the dash because the car stuttered and didn't launch like I expected.

It was a momentary lapse in judgement. I miss my Joules. I will have her back tomorrow afternoon.

On the way home in the usual evening rush hour traffic, going roughly 20 MPH on a freeway ending in a couple miles, a white pickup to my right honked and the guy gave a moderately excited thumbs up, which I quickly returned. The traffic in front of him started slowing down when he honked, and immediately after I returned the thumbs up, he slammed on his brakes to avoid rear ending the car in front. It looked very close and I'm relieved not to be part of the cause of an accident.

My best Tesla moment so far occurred last night. My co-workers got me a bad ass, full-sized Chewbacca costume for my birthday, which I obviously had to wear on the drive home. A wookie driving a P85D isn't something most people see everyday, even in Silicon Valley.

I picked up my parents from the airport last night after work, and as it was dinner time, we stopped in the neighborhood Italian joint for a bite. When we approached the host, he asked "are you the people with the Tesla?", and proceeded to talk excitedly about how the owner has one, and he loves the car, did I know it scored 103 out of 100, etc etc. This Tesla talk continued as he showed us to our table, and then a few minutes longer as we were seated. When he left out table, my mom said, " wow, that was something " and I smiled and said "welcome to my LIFE the last 2+ years!"