Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked my car up this morning after having it coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum, which, by the way, makes it look ridiculously gorgeous, and at a stop light, a lady in a huge Chevy truck is motioning me to put the window down. I do, and she wants to know what sort of car it is - Tesla, it's all electric - and she says "it is absolutely stunning". I thank her and say "it's quite quick too" and then, because I can't help myself, I provide a little display of said speed when the light turns green. You sometimes just have to, don't you? :)

Picked my car up this morning after having it coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum, which, by the way, makes it look ridiculously gorgeous, and at a stop light, a lady in a huge Chevy truck is motioning me to put the window down. I do, and she wants to know what sort of car it is - Tesla, it's all electric - and she says "it is absolutely stunning". I thank her and say "it's quite quick too" and then, because I can't help myself, I provide a little display of said speed when the light turns green. You sometimes just have to, don't you? :)
I just had crystal serum applied, too. I'm thoroughly impressed, it looks and feels ridiculously smooth as glass. Last Tesla I had c quartz finest, which was good but was wearing off just before the 2 year mark. At 7 years for this stuff, our cars should be looking new for a long time!

Last edited:
I just got back from a road trip to New Jersey. While there I was showing the car to relatives, most of whom had never seen one in person. I was giving everyone over 25 an opportunity to drive it. My nephew was generally the "co-pilot" - I was very comfortable sitting at the kitchen table chatting with folks.

Before my sister-in-law (nephew's mother) took her turn, she asked "Does it steer with the steering wheel?" :rolleyes:
Only one possible answer to give to that - "No, that's just there to make it look more like other cars."
It'll be a long time before anyone forgets that one!

Upon returning to my car while visiting in Champaign, IL this afternoon found three gentlemen ogling it, one of whom
turned out to be the father of a Tesla employee. Gave them "the tour" and "the sales pitch". It was a beautiful
sunny day and the deep blue metallic glowed in the sun :D Also let the friend I was visiting drive, so there's another Tesla
customer in the pipeline :)

I was coming back from a trip and in the airport off-site parking shuttle returning to the lot to get my car. As we approached my car, the driver called out "gray Tesla." I opened the rear hatch with the Fob from inside the van. Someone else in the van commented that was really cool. So I closed the rear hatch, said, "watch this," and summoned the car back a couple of feet. Priceless!

How much did it cost to get it installed?
Depends how much correction your paint needs, but should be in the neighborhood about $1800.

The night I picked it up it rained (I have no garage for it, sadly). I was going to show it off at a cars & coffee deal the next morning, and had to leave at 5:45am. No time to dry it, and it was soaked. By the time I got there (interstate all the way), it had all simply blown off leaving no trace. It looked show-ready! The boys couldn't believe it had been rained on and just dried by driving! And THAT is worth it!

A TSLA shareholder who had yet to see the product he had invested in stopped by for a look while I was moving propane tank and gas cans in and out of the frunk at the gas station. We don’t have a lot of Teslas here and to see an X just made his day. While I was inside paying for my carbon fuels he was crawling around on the ground looking underneath and we all nodded understandingly through the window. He lamented not having a reservation for the M3 already but his stock is doing well. I suspect by time time he can order an M3 with a short delivery time his stock will be doing very well.

How much did it cost to get it installed?

Mine was $1,300 - level one paint correction (the car is only three weeks old), level two protection (Gtechniq Crystal Serum Pro, all exposed paint plus wheels). There's a chap who comes highly recommended by pretty much all the owners in the MN group, and I was extremely pleased with the outcome. Much like Btrflyl8e mentioned above, the way rain runs off the car now is ridiculous - it's actually really cool to watch it bead up and just slide off. I mainly got it for the MN winters - road salt, dirty snow, etc. - so I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up. Plus it's shiny as heck - so pretty!

Mine was $1,300 - level one paint correction (the car is only three weeks old), level two protection (Gtechniq Crystal Serum Pro, all exposed paint plus wheels). There's a chap who comes highly recommended by pretty much all the owners in the MN group, and I was extremely pleased with the outcome. Much like Btrflyl8e mentioned above, the way rain runs off the car now is ridiculous - it's actually really cool to watch it bead up and just slide off. I mainly got it for the MN winters - road salt, dirty snow, etc. - so I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up. Plus it's shiny as heck - so pretty!
The best is when you wash it... and dry it WITH WATER. After rinsing, remove any spray nozzle and turn the water flow down until it's a steady stream, not too hard but steady. Carefully walk the sides of the car"pouring" the water down from the top, and down the hood from up near the windshield, and watch it take nearly all the water off as it sheets away, leaving just a few tiny droplets. Then use your battery powered blower to blow water out of the mirrors and other crevices. Then just pat dry with a good microfiber, that's never ever been in a hot dryer. Good stuff right there!

What does something like Crystal Serum do for wheels? I've got a problem with ugly black brake dust accumulating
on my shiny-slick Silver Cyclone wheels. Might this help with that?
Yep, or with rust from the brakes because you don't use them very often and - depending on where you live - they rust :) Helps make it significantly easier to get the grime off with just water.

I get out of the car in a grocery store parking lot.

Random guy: "That is a totally slick-looking car, it's beautiful."
Me: "Thanks man!"
Random guy: "So what exactly is that ... is that the new Buick?"
Me: "No, this is a Tesla."
Random guy: "Oh WOW! I didn't know Buick made those!"

< Pause >

I proceed to start at the very beginning ... Tesla is a new American car company ... made in California ... only been making mass-production cars for 4 years ...

whilst simultaneously doing my best to choke back the tears of laughter ...

On my way home from work yesterday I was sitting at a traffic light, when I caught movement in the car next to me out of the corner of my eye. I looked over, and there was a little buy in the backseat of the SUV next to me, frantically waving and smiling. I smiled and waved back, then the light changed and we were moving through traffic again. I got an opening, so I gunned it a little. Next light, we're next to each other again, and now the boy and another boy in the back are waving and laughing, and giving me the thumbs up. I was trying to think of something fun I could do, and the only thing that came to mind was hit the Park button to extend the door handles. They lost their minds! It was awesome, they looked to be about 7 and 10. I love that kids know a Tesla on sight!

I just had crystal serum applied, too. I'm thoroughly impressed, it looks and feels ridiculously smooth as glass. Last Tesla I had c quartz finest, which was good but was wearing off just before the 2 year mark. At 7 years for this stuff, our cars should be looking new for a long time!

Just wondering, is Crystal Serum applied instead of film wraps or in addition to them?

I get out of the car in a grocery store parking lot.

Random guy: "That is a totally slick-looking car, it's beautiful."
Me: "Thanks man!"
Random guy: "So what exactly is that ... is that the new Buick?"
Me: "No, this is a Tesla."
Random guy: "Oh WOW! I didn't know Buick made those!"

< Pause >

I proceed to start at the very beginning ... Tesla is a new American car company ... made in California ... only been making mass-production cars for 4 years ...

whilst simultaneously doing my best to choke back the tears of laughter ...
I get this -- a lot.

- It is a Tesla Model S
- Yeah but who makes it?
- Tesla
(Blank stare)

Maybe it is regional.