Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another one from last Friday at work when I had my Tesla jacket on because the office is freezing cold. A coworker walked by, spotted the jacket, and stopped dead in her tracks. "Do you own a Tesla?" I shook my head yes. "When are we going for a ride?" I answered "any time you want." 3 minutes later a calendar invitation showed up in my email for "Lunch and Tesla test drive."

Another one from last Friday at work when I had my Tesla jacket on because the office is freezing cold. A coworker walked by, spotted the jacket, and stopped dead in her tracks. "Do you own a Tesla?" I shook my head yes. "When are we going for a ride?" I answered "any time you want." 3 minutes later a calendar invitation showed up in my email for "Lunch and Tesla test drive."

Did not happen without pictures. ;)

• Love
Reactions: hiroshiy and omarti
I took my Tesla on its first road trip this past weekend. I didn't have any really big Tesla Moments, other than showing my friends that already knew I had it. But I had several smaller "Moments" like the girl in a car next to me giggling and waving when they passed me and noticed that I didn't have my hands on the wheel and the National Guard weekend warrior that stared at my car when I was driving into a gas station (for coffee) and just smiled and said "Nice Car!" when I got out.

I give my daughter and her friends rides all the time (shuttle them around to where they want to go etc...). I was talking to the mom of one of her friends who owns a Chevy Traverse. Her mom told me this story. The were going up a hill and she pressed harder on the gas and it downshifted to maintain speed up the hill. And my daughter's friend turned to her mom and said "This is SOOOO not Mr. Steve's car"

Friday, I parked on the National Mall to pick up my daughter from her summer camp. We were leaving on a trip directly afterwards, so I used one of the public J1772 chargers they have there. The first one was ICEd by some jerk SUV with a New Jersey plate (go figure) but the second one was available. Well, almost. The cars on either side were too close, and I couldn't fit into the space. Or so I thought! As I went past, the car put up the little P emblem so I said, well, it knows better than I do, so I let autopark do its thing and I fit perfectly. Cool!

I got out and started fiddling with the station. It's a paid station but not part of any network, so it just takes credit cards. Naturally, the machine is difficult to understand, so it took me a bit to work it all out. Just as I finished, a group of ladies walked up behind me and one of them exclaimed, "Oh no, I forgot to pay for parking! I hope I didn't get a ticket!"

I assured her that you only had to pay to charge, and parking was free. She was relieved, and they were instantly curious about this "charge your car" concept. Quick discussion of range, charging costs, long-distance travel, etc. ensued. Amusing!

At work, I've admiringly parked next to a BMW beauty for the last year. Finally met the proud owner today. After the perfunctory 'awesome Tesla Q&A' chat he jumped in his car, revved it a bit, lowered the window and shouted have a great day. But I really didn't hear the great day wishes, because I was actually reading his lips. All I really heard was a put-put, rumble-rumble, put-put, vroom. I flashed him the biggest Tesla grin possible, threw in a royal wave and quietly slipped away. You know the feeling!

Last edited:
Two wee moments this past week...driving home one evening, a chap driving a Miata dashed past me (I was stuck behind a slow Prius again - it's becoming a common thing for me...), then slowed, dropped behind me, dashed past again, pulled in front, stuck his arm out of the window and gave me a thumbs up, which I duly returned. Last night, waiting to turn at a light, a pizza delivery BMW crossed in front of me and did the same thing! Very much a fun part of owning this car :)

I was at the West Yellowstone Super Charger, yesterday when another Model S backed in and plugged in. The next thing I saw was the mother opened the Frunk, laid her baby down inside and did a diaper change. The whole time, another mom in an ICE car, with a baby strapped on her chest, was standing about 30 feet away, with her mouth open. Imagine seeing someone putting their baby in the engine compartment of a car, as though she thought the air filter cover or the 300 degree engine block was the perfect place for the diaper change. The Tesla Mom then casually pulled the baby out of the frunk, handed it to her husband, closed the frunk while the other woman, shook her head in disbelief. Ignorant of the true nature of the frunk, this other mother was totally baffled and almost ready to call Dept. of family services!

Last edited:
I operate a limo service in the Niagara area with my Tesla and cross the border almost every day as I go back and forward to Buffalo airport. Many times the border agent is surprised that a Tesla is used for this purpose and sometimes spends a while asking all about the car. Meanwhile the cars lined up behind me must be thinking that the agent is being tough on me! If they only knew!

I was at the West Yellowstone Super Charger, yesterday when another Model S backed in and plugged in. The next thing I saw was the mother opened the Frunk, laid her baby down inside and did a diaper change. The whole time, another mom in an ICE car, with a baby strapped on her chest, was standing about 30 feet away, with her mouth open. Imagine seeing someone putting their baby in the engine compartment of a car, as though she thought the air filter cover or the 300 degree engine block was the perfect place for the diaper change. The Tesla Mom then casually pulled the baby out of the frunk, handed it to her husband, closed the frunk while the other woman, shook her head in disbelief. Ignorant of the true nature of the frunk, this other mother was totally baffled and almost ready to call Dept. of family services!

Sounds like a story my grandpa would tell me. "When I was a child we didn't have it so easy. My mother would change my diaper on a hot carburator."

My sixteen year old son is in Driver's Education class, and today I was invited to bring my 90D to his class. I spoke for an hour about all the benefits of EV vs. ICE and how supporting Tesla helps support something bigger than all of us, the transition away from fossil fuels. Then I showed the car to the class and soon had 30 teens crawling all over the car and connecting their various Pandora playlists, cranking out the tunes. They thought they were going to see a " 3 wheeled Wonder" and instead I heard a student say, it looks like a Maserati/Jaguar/ Aston Martin all in one! After the students were free to leave class I gave the Driving Instructor a 0-40 MPH launch and he got extremely excited and said he did not expect "full blown roller coaster performance" and could not stop laughing. He told me next semester he will have a couple classes where all 70 students would be in one class and asked If I would come back again to share it with more students. I said yes. I told the students that I named my car "Inspiration", because it is, and they all agreed!

My sixteen year old son is in Driver's Education class, and today I was invited to bring my 90D to his class. I spoke for an hour about all the benefits of EV vs. ICE and how supporting Tesla helps support something bigger than all of us, the transition away from fossil fuels. Then I showed the car to the class and soon had 30 teens crawling all over the car and connecting their various Pandora playlists, cranking out the tunes. They thought they were going to see a " 3 wheeled Wonder" and instead I heard a student say, it looks like a Maserati/Jaguar/ Aston Martin all in one! After the students were free to leave class I gave the Driving Instructor a 0-40 MPH launch and he got extremely excited and said he did not expect "full blown roller coaster performance" and could not stop laughing. He told me next semester he will have a couple classes where all 70 students would be in one class and asked If I would come back again to share it with more students. I said yes. I told the students that I named my car "Inspiration", because it is, and they all agreed!
Outstanding idea!

Love love love this. I'll be contacting my local high school drivers Ed dept to do this.

This is a stellar idea! Now if only I can get my hands on a 90D ;)

• Funny
Reactions: fallen888