Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We keep a hamster wheel with a toy hamster in it - started in our 2013 S and it continues with the 2018 S replacement. Always good for a laugh when we show off the 'engine'.

I have a model GM V-8 I got on Ebay up there. It's visible between the two cats in my avatar. I often forget the frunk is there though.

The frunk is great for transporting food- it keeps the lingering smells out of the car.

Biodefense mode for 30 seconds is usually good for this too.

way to make your electric car back into a gas car :)

I had to refiill two propane tanks at once a year or so back. I removed the cover to the smuggler's hold in the back and put them in there. The guy who filled the tanks at the local station had a lot of questions about the car. He had actually driven my car across the parking lot when I got a piece of metal in a tire on a holiday weekend and had the car towed to their shop. He was impressed with just that short drive.

Our son is learning to drive (not yet allowed to drive our S) and while he was driving us home from a family camping trip in the Leaf, I was reading aloud some of posts in this forum. We discussed the joys and perils of driving and then had the perfect demonstration of what we expect: on the other side of the street was a pretty new S stopped at a light with a newer BMW right next to it. Frisky BMW wanted to play & took off at the green. Tesla driver didn't take the bait; she accelerated smoothly and kept it at the speed limit. (Was probably smiling to herself about what she *could* do if she had really wanted to; I know I do!)

Message to son: just because you can dust someone, doesn't mean you do it. Knowing what you and your tools are capable of is not the same as showing off. And when it comes down to it, the Leaf (when not in ECO mode) could surprise people off the line...but we're not going to advertise it on a public street.

If he builds his skills and hones his reaction times and eventually wants to do performance driving, we can talk about safer options....

Same philosophy in martial arts. Just because you have the ability dosn't mean that's what you do, even when provoked.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm curious why people back into parking spots so much these days. I much prefer driving IN and backing OUT. Yes, there is visibility, but with all the backup cameras etc its pretty easy/safe to back out. My feeling is that driving INTO a confined space (the parking spot) is harder than driving OUT of one, so I'd rather do the hard bit driving forward.

It’s perfect for groceries. Not all fit, but most do, and it holds them secure for more active driving. It’s amazing how much will actually hold.
With 2 teen boys, the frunk only holds two hours worth of cereal. Grocery shopping for us involves hooking up the 12 foot utility trailer to the back of the MX...just kidding, but only by a little.

Back in to park in shopping centers because, when you arrive, you see everything going on, you know where everyone (pedestrians, cars, bikes) is, and can safely put the car in straight where you want it to be. On departure, day or night, but especially night) you can easily see any movement that might interfere with your planned departure. Besides, you can make a quick getaway.

I'm curious why people back into parking spots so much these days. I much prefer driving IN and backing OUT. Yes, there is visibility, but with all the backup cameras etc its pretty easy/safe to back out. My feeling is that driving INTO a confined space (the parking spot) is harder than driving OUT of one, so I'd rather do the hard bit driving forward.
Either way you’ve got to back; whether into, or out of, a parking spot. Might as well back into the spot, when you can see your surroundings; backing out of a parking spot it’s less obvious if there’s a car about to T-bone you. Also, quick getaway.

I got into the habit at home because it puts the FWD behind the garage door opener and rails.

Tesla makes me do it at most Superchargers, too.

So why not do it elsewhere?

At the company I worked for before I retired (5,000+ employees), the #1 vehicular accident was a backing accident. They implemented a program called "Attack Backing". When driving a company vehicle, we were required to always use a pull-thru parking space if available if it would not result in going against the traffic flow on the other side. If a pull-thru space was not available, back into the space because there is less chance of hitting something while backing into a parking space than backing out. If there was a passenger in the vehicle, the passenger was required to get out and watch or assist the driver any time a vehicle was backing up. The program practically eliminated backing accidents. Another advantage of backing in is that the wheels that steer are on the front of the vehicle. If backing out, they can hardly be turned until almost out of the space. The new #1 vehicular accident became "hitting stationary objects" They implemented the "Circle of Safety" program for that. We were required to circle the vehicle and observe what was around it before entering the vehicle.

In regard to the usefulness of the frunk - the early RWD Teslas (mid-2014 and earlier) have a huge frunk, 3 or 4 times bigger than the AWD models. It included an area that went under the windshield and far back towards the passenger compartment. On trips, all our luggage fits in the frunk. We prefer motels where we can park right in front of the room. It's only a few steps to bring the luggage from the frunk to the room. On our next trip, I'll take a picture of all the luggage we fit in there.
IMG_1312.JPG

Every so often, even in the Tesla-land that is the SF Bay Area, I get a surprise. Just backed my Model S into a parking space at work, pulled my backpack and lunchbox out of the frunk like I do every day. I hear a guy yelling to me from across the parking lot, "Your car has a trunk in the front?!?" This started a 10 minute conversation about how much storage the Model S has, and how being electric leaves a bunch more interior space because there's no ICE, transmission, etc.

If any non-Tesla person asks me, I put my stuff in the frunk because it's easier to get to when I back into parking spaces, also it's marginally more secure (or at least more obscure) than the trunk. But another reason is to spark conversations like that.

Bruce.

I keep the frunk as an empty crumple zone for that front-end collision that I hope will never happen! So no propane tank and no kids in my frunk:) OK, kidding a little! My son believes the frunk is designed for groceries, but his preferred style is to load half the grocery in the trunk and half in the frunk to do a complete display and confuse the heck out of bystanders in the parking lots...:)

I keep camping gear in the frunk, which gets used on road trips. The sleeping bag, air mattress and pump stay in there full time in case I need to sleep in the car, something I've done a lot:
20190523_060004.jpg

The tent goes in when I'm heading to a campground, as will be the case tomorrow since I managed to get a reservation for the beautiful Devil's Garden campground in Arches National Park (usually booked six months in advance).

However, I can't recall anyone paying any attention to my pulling gear out of the frunk, sad to say. Perhaps I need to try groceries!

Last edited:
Either way you’ve got to back; whether into, or out of, a parking spot. Might as well back into the spot, when you can see your surroundings; backing out of a parking spot it’s less obvious if there’s a car about to T-bone you. Also, quick getaway.

I think I have to train myself to back into a parking place. How many of you use the auto park? I've been afraid to try it.

I also love putting my groceries in the frunk. I enjoy the strange looks.

I think I have to train myself to back into a parking place. How many of you use the auto park? I've been afraid to try it.

I also love putting my groceries in the frunk. I enjoy the strange looks.
I find autopark works quite well when it deigns to engage at all. There better not be anyone coming up behind you, 'cause you'll confuse the heck out of them with your weirdo Tesla parking maneuver.