Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
" They had a TT30 available, but that is only marginally better than 20A/120V."

You call 5.7 kW only marginally better than 1.9 kW? I could get 57 kWh overnight (during 10pm to 8am super off peak rates time) when I was using NEMA 10-30.
@SmartElectric, you are quite correct to disagree with my erroneous post, but @Saghost and @Ticobird were nice enough to explain how I was mistaken.

Reactions: mblakele
@SmartElectric, you are quite correct to disagree with my erroneous post, but @Saghost and @Ticobird were nice enough to explain how I was mistaken.

Maybe next time you won't act rashly and post non factual information. That's what disagree is for. Someone else may read your post and think it's true, so my disagree is on purpose so they will know to keep reading to see properly researched replies.

Car and fuel source:

20191026_080205.jpg

^ Taken this morning on US 24 on the Eastern Plains of Colorado.

OT:

I'm at Iceland Airwaves right now. Mega concert series in Reykjavík - I usually attend 80 or so in a matter of days. I encounter some friends at the front row at Gaukurinn before KÚL starts and we start chatting about what we've seen so far. I pull out my phone to show some pictures, and a friend makes a weird face.

Her: "Why do you have an app with a picture of a uterus on it?"

Me: "..."

459565-9a2fac0f196e8cf0a6caa34c2f8322e8.jpg

Not OT in this thread.

In 2015, when Supercharger coverage was spotty at best, we road tripped our Model S from San Jose, CA to Yellowstone and have nothing but the fondest memories. I was educating my then 5 year old on classic rock as Tommy was being streamed whole and vividly remember coming over the top of a ridge to a stunning view of Pyramid lake in Nevada just as the the music was reaching an emotional peak.

One of my friends is a hardline right winger. Day by day he’s becoming more radicalised. I live in Alberta, land of oil and he works in oil and gas.

At beer on Friday night he finally called me out, “you should be ashamed driving that POS in this province” you are putting us out of work”.

I said “umm you build and maintain gas plants right?, most of the power in Alberta is from gas fired plants, my electricity consumption is keeping you working, your gasoline powered truck is putting YOU out of business, you need to switch to an EV”

he didn’t have much of a rebuttal to that! Not necessarily a “Tesla moment” but certainly an EV one.

In 2015, when Supercharger coverage was spotty at best, we road tripped our Model S from San Jose, CA to Yellowstone and have nothing but the fondest memories. I was educating my then 5 year old on classic rock as Tommy was being streamed whole and vividly remember coming over the top of a ridge to a stunning view of Pyramid lake in Nevada just as the the music was reaching an emotional peak.
What part of Tommy? It's a long Rock Opera. Glad you didn't have to explain the whole story of Tommy to a five year old. Sometimes its best not to understand the lyrics. Example: Every Breath You Take by The Police (sounds like the thoughts of a stalker).

• Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP
What part of Tommy? It's a long Rock Opera. Glad you didn't have to explain the whole story of Tommy to a five year old. Sometimes its best not to understand the lyrics. Example: Every Breath You Take by The Police (sounds like the thoughts of a stalker).

See me, feel me, touch me - which having just typed out, I would prefer not to explain to anyone, especially as, if I’m remembering correctly, Townshend was accused of some inappropriate behaviors....

Pinball Wizard still rocks for all ages tho!

Reactions: tmoz
Had a minor Tesla Moment today. I was driving in the rain on SR-14 and a dark car was coming up behind me. Because of the rain it wasn't completely clear, but it looked kind of like a pre-refresh Model S, but I talked myself out of it because it obviously had an empty roof rack. It turned out to really be a pre-refresh Model S with the removable roof rack installed. I don't think I've ever seen a Model S with an empty roof rack.

Had a minor Tesla Moment today. I was driving in the rain on SR-14 and a dark car was coming up behind me. Because of the rain it wasn't completely clear, but it looked kind of like a pre-refresh Model S, but I talked myself out of it because it obviously had an empty roof rack. It turned out to really be a pre-refresh Model S with the removable roof rack installed. I don't think I've ever seen a Model S with an empty roof rack.
Never? You have to check out Rich Rebuilds on YouTube. The P85 he rebuilt "Delores" had an empty roof rack.

I’m driving in stop and go traffic today. It’s cold, really cold; -30C. I was looking around and noticed that EVERYONE is checking out my car.

EVs are rare where I live and I assume they all think what everyone at work was asking me this week. “How is it possible that drives in these temps?” “My phone dies and won’t turn back on again in this nasty ass weather”

That always gives the perfect segue to say “That is a perfect winter car, let me tell you why.......”

I’m driving in stop and go traffic today. It’s cold, really cold; -30C. I was looking around and noticed that EVERYONE is checking out my car.

EVs are rare where I live and I assume they all think what everyone at work was asking me this week. “How is it possible that drives in these temps?” “My phone dies and won’t turn back on again in this nasty ass weather”

That always gives the perfect segue to say “That is a perfect winter car, let me tell you why.......”

Back in the early days of electronic cameras (still shot on film, but had electronic control of the mechanism) a professional photographer friend of my father's was sent to the North Slope of Alaska in the winter to do some photographic work for one of the oil companies. He took his old trusty reliable mechanical cameras, but his handler from the oil company brought a new camera. In the cold, the first time the guy from the oil company tried to take a picture the shutter seized open and the camera didn't work again for the rest of the trip. The old mechanical camera worked fine, though he kept it out side to keep it from collecting condensation.

But electronics and batteries can be designed to work in cold temperatures. Car companies deliberately take their cars to a test center in Sweden or Norway in the dead of winter to test their cars in Arctic conditions. I think I saw a photo spread of an early Model S being tested up there. A lot of consumer electronics don't often have to work in extreme cold so they don't bother to go to the expense and trouble.

Teslas are great winter cars. Recently I had ranger service and the guy who came out usually services eastern Oregon but he was lent to the Portland area when things were slow over there. Eastern Oregon and Washington can get pretty close to as cold as Calgary in the winter. He said with his Model S and snow tires the car is pretty much invincible in the snow.

Back in the early days of electronic cameras (still shot on film, but had electronic control of the mechanism) a professional photographer friend of my father's was sent to the North Slope of Alaska in the winter to do some photographic work for one of the oil companies. He took his old trusty reliable mechanical cameras, but his handler from the oil company brought a new camera. In the cold, the first time the guy from the oil company tried to take a picture the shutter seized open and the camera didn't work again for the rest of the trip. The old mechanical camera worked fine, though he kept it out side to keep it from collecting condensation.

But electronics and batteries can be designed to work in cold temperatures. Car companies deliberately take their cars to a test center in Sweden or Norway in the dead of winter to test their cars in Arctic conditions. I think I saw a photo spread of an early Model S being tested up there. A lot of consumer electronics don't often have to work in extreme cold so they don't bother to go to the expense and trouble.

Teslas are great winter cars. Recently I had ranger service and the guy who came out usually services eastern Oregon but he was lent to the Portland area when things were slow over there. Eastern Oregon and Washington can get pretty close to as cold as Calgary in the winter. He said with his Model S and snow tires the car is pretty much invincible in the snow.

Agree! This is the first real winter I’ve experienced with the S. Moved here from Vancouver last summer. The car is a champ in this extreme cold! Everyone else is scraping windows and warming their vehicles. I leave work and just jump in and go, I love it: I pre heat about 15 min before I leave.

Agree! This is the first real winter I’ve experienced with the S. Moved here from Vancouver last summer. The car is a champ in this extreme cold! Everyone else is scraping windows and warming their vehicles. I leave work and just jump in and go, I love it: I pre heat about 15 min before I leave.

The only problem I have with it is that I use the heater to heat the cabin. Therefore, my "wh" used almost doubles during the winter. But I live with it knowing that I can get into a warm car without waiting 15-20 for an ice car to warm up. The fact that I have unlimited supercharging is a bonus. So every Saturday, I charge at the SC while eating b-fast. Works out well for me. Once a week charge in the winter, once every two weeks in the summer if I don't go on a trip. YMMV if you are not retired.