Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not my picture or instagram but I had to share... gotta protect your baby

IMG_3068.PNG

First noteworthy Tesla moment in 3 weeks of ownership:

Teen-aged boy sidles up next to me at a stoplight driving what looks like his grandfather's beater Dodge farm truck, rolls down window:

Boy: "What's your advice for buying one of those cars?"
Me: "Stay in school." (Grin)

Light turns green, I pull away. Grinning still.

Had a Tesla moment in slow traffic on my way home today. This would be my 3rd or 4th random Tesla moment. I don't really drive where there are many opportunities (e.g. high foot-traffic areas).

Car to my left honks, guy motions with hand, I roll down window.
Guy: What kind of car is that?
Me: Tesla.
Guy: Tesla. I saw one in San Diego and I'm like, "What is that?" It's a Tesla Model S. [some words I didn't quite get]
Me: Alright (mumbled since I wasn't sure if it was the right response to what I didn't understand)
Guy: It runs on gas, right?
Me: Electric.
Guy: Yeah. Nice car.
Me: Thanks.

Note to self: Pause the podcast before rolling down my window next time so it's not blaring during our conversation.

Driving with the personalized plate "LOL4OIL" can be dangerous!

I'm driving early in the morning north of Santa barbara, on 101N and I pass an oil service van filled with roughnecks. They see my plate as I pass, and I am given the single finger salute by the 8 guys in the van as I look in my rear view mirror. I'm doing about 75, and I see them accelerating to catch up. Not wanting a confrontation I go about 90. They are trying to catch up, but I keep them about 1/4 mile behind. I chuckle when they finally give up.

Driving with the personalized plate "LOL4OIL" can be dangerous!

I'm driving early in the morning north of Santa barbara, on 101N and I pass an oil service van filled with roughnecks. They see my plate as I pass, and I am given the single finger salute by the 8 guys in the van as I look in my rear view mirror. I'm doing about 75, and I see them accelerating to catch up. Not wanting a confrontation I go about 90. They are trying to catch up, but I keep them about 1/4 mile behind. I chuckle when they finally give up.

I wonder what would happen if those guys saw Leilani Munter's car with her EFF OIL plates in a parking lot ...

I wonder what would happen if those guys saw Leilani Munter's car with her EFF OIL plates in a parking lot ...

I'm betting they'd be more interested in the driver than the plates.

mhpr262 explicitly said "in a parking lot." I think he was implying that she wouldn't be around, and wondering what might happen if they chose to mess with her car, since she is a bit of a public figure. (I could be wrong. I often am.)

I had a lady approach me as I was leaving a place I had dinner and she said that is the coolest car I have ever seen, what is it? I just said "Tesla" and she was speechless for a bit and then said I sure wish I could afford one(grin)!

Told her about the upcoming model 3.

Had another moment in my own driveway of all places last week!

I had swung through a fast food place on the way home from work and had just plugged in (garage door still open). As I was moving towards my side door with some food for myself I noticed a guy with a clipboard walking up my driveway smiling.

Oh boy.

He starts in with his spiel about how his company is going around the neighborhood giving out free quotes on window replacement but quickly changes the subject to my car. He asks if that really is a Tesla and seems to know quite a bit about the company. He has a Merc S Class that's a few years old and he tells me that he was trying to decide between a newer S550 or the Tesla Model S. Obviously, I recommend the Tesla (with the caveat of "unless you want a super plush interior, then S550 all the way) and we run through all the standard questions about range and charging and purchase experience. I invite him to sit inside the car and let him play with the screen and get a feel for the interior.

He thanks me and we chat a bit more about the company and he goes on his way. He failed to sell me new windows, but I might just have sold him on a Tesla.

Unfortunately, by the time I got inside my sandwiches and chili were cold :crying:

Man! Sounds like the replacement window industry is doing okay! I remember people telling me that my products must be overpriced if I was driving a new Acura when I was in sales...

The guy who installed my solar array really wanted a Model S, but was worried about the "optics" of arriving in such an expensive vehicle to quote a new installation, despite the obvious environmental connotation.

The guy who installed my solar array really wanted a Model S, but was worried about the "optics" of arriving in such an expensive vehicle to quote a new installation, despite the obvious environmental connotation.

I sell solar in a Model S sometimes. I often wonder if some of the people don't buy because of it. When people comment on the price of it I just say "I got lucky and bought their stock at $26/ share". Then I sometimes follow it up with, "It'll be our million dollar car in 5 years." Depending on their reaction to my first comment.

Man! Sounds like the replacement window industry is doing okay! I remember people telling me that my products must be overpriced if I was driving a new Acura when I was in sales...

Heh, yeah. I was a little taken aback that he was walking the beat but looking into an S550. He even pulled up a picture of his current S class on his phone!

I figured it really was his company and he was just out selling windows like the rest of his employees. He was very nice **shrug**

People see what they want to see.

20+ years ago, I had a full load spanking new Nissan Pathfinder... looked really sharp. I also had a 10 year old BMW 733i that I'd bought used as my beater car. It looked nice enough, but clearly had seen some miles and bright sun. If I pulled onto a job site (I'm an engineer) with the Pathfinder, I didn't hear a word. Pull up in the beater BMW and I'd be assaulted with comments about billing rates and how I was obviously rolling in cash. Go figure... :cool: