Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla most unreliable car manufacturer ever ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not really possible to have a Forum where people post about positive things. When everything is fine, you don't talk about it.

But hey, just look at the new Volvo XC90 Forum....

Volvo Forum: My 5 days new 2016 all new xc90 starting trouble me!!!

Thanks!!! You might have solved a minor problem for us. We have remote start cars that have a lot of vampire drain. In that link, it mentions that it is possible that if the key is stored close to the car (ours are), it increases vampire drain because the car goes into a standby mode.

Never thought about that, but it is entirely possible. And it's really stupid to store keys next to the cars in the garage anyhow.

Based on consumer reports, we know that there are a lot of car manufacturers with worse reliability than Tesla, including Mercedes. If you do a little research, you won't start a thread like this that makes you come off like a giant Troll.

We have remote start cars that have a lot of vampire drain. In that link, it mentions that it is possible that if the key is stored close to the car ..., it increases vampire drain because the car goes into a standby mode.
For multiple reasons, keeping the key near the car is bad for the car and for the key.

Why am I a troll ? As a potential Tesla Model 3 customer, I'm starting to get worried when I see so many people posting big issues with their Tesla's.
If someone says something negative about Tesla is automatically a troll on this forum or what ?
I am trying to get more info here

• Disagree
Reactions: JimmyAZ
I haven't read the full thread, but something to keep in mind is that a Tesla is closer in behavior to a computer than to a car. You say you are a technology freak and if so you are fine with software glitches and the need to reboot regularly (and don't tell me you're a Mac user so this is foreign to you - when I had Mavericks my machine was crashing weekly - El Capitan has been good but Apple puts out stinkers too) then you will be fine with a Tesla. My advice to you would be to wait a year before you get a Model 3.

Also, there are many Tesla owners that don't post here. Further, many people come here when they have problems to ask questions or seek support so this forum will skew to the negative. People who don't sit on Internet forums as a general rule and don't have problems will never show up here. My advice above stands, don't dismiss Tesla completely, just don't get an early model. Heck I would advise that for ANY car manufacturer. Model switchovers are hard even for established manufacturers (1987 Jeep Wrangler, 2005 Corvette, I'm sure there are countless more, those are the ones I have direct experience with).

It is one thing to ask if you should be worried about some early problems with completely new technology (auto opening and closing front doors) not working perfectly in the first few cars, and another to completely ignore data from organizations like consumer reports and claim that Tesla is the worst manufacturer ever. Doing the latter makes you sound like a troll.

Reactions: JimmyAZ
Why am I a troll ? As a potential Tesla Model 3 customer, I'm starting to get worried when I see so many people posting big issues with their Tesla's.
If someone says something negative about Tesla is automatically a troll on this forum or what ?
I am trying to get more info here
People are a bit skittish around here at times when an inflammatory (and probably incorrect) title is used to begin a thread. There are good reasons to be distrustful if you support a target like Tesla and believe in its mission.

Just one data point, but here are some of the reasons your opening post rubs me wrong:
  1. title - click bait, and the media loves to quote "TMC says..." when they see such things
  2. "Tesla has proven to be..." - Inflammatory, unsupported conclusion asserted as fact.
  3. "MS having those common problems with ... central display" - First I've heard of this. Link?

Based on consumer reports, we know that there are a lot of car manufacturers with worse reliability than Tesla, including Mercedes. If you do a little research, you won't start a thread like this that makes you come off like a giant Troll.
since we are posting our anecdotal experiences I disagree with this comment. I've owned 4 MBs, still have one and 2 Model S, my first model s85 had numerous minor issues, needed a 12v battery fix and also needed a DU swap, I've never had such issues in any of my MBs, my current s90d has seen minor AP and software issues that have not warranted a SC visit and has performed just about flawlessly with over 6500 miles on it which include a 4k+ mile road trip.

The cars owners who are reporting problems are among a group of production car owners who are in the first few hundred which were produced. Since then Tesla has put a lot of changes in place to correct these issues. Matter of fact they shut down operation for several weeks to address these problems.

They are dealing with these issues on a one-on-one basis.

I have been involved with large scale deployment of new technology throughout the world for over 30 years. There isn't any major deployment of new technology that doesn't go through a break in period. I don't care how much you go through testing things act differently under real life scenarios.

The Tesla cars can't be viewed like any other car manufactured. It is a piece of highend complex technology.

It would be different if you were one of the owners of one these cars but it appears you don't own a Model X or any type of Tesla and don't even live in a country where a Model X had been delivered. If you ask the average Tesla owner if they like their car you would get no I love my car. Several of other who responded are also individuals who have no actual experience with Tesla and not in the field and therefore can add anything regarding the topic. To make a statement like "most unreliable car manufacturer ever" you should have posted statically information to back up your claim, not just a couple of individual examples of cars with problems. If these are the only cars which have a problem I would say the Tesla must produce the best cars every made

It is sad there are individuals who love spreading bad news and just make up information. I guess it is because they live such as sad life, they try to bring down others to their level.

Reactions: BornToFly
since we are posting our anecdotal experiences I disagree with this comment. I've owned 4 MBs, still have one and 2 Model S, my first model s85 had numerous minor issues, needed a 12v battery fix and also needed a DU swap, I've never had such issues in any of my MBs, my current s90d has seen minor AP and software issues that have not warranted a SC visit and has performed just about flawlessly with over 6500 miles on it which include a 4k+ mile road trip.
The point is that consumer reports surveys enough people that individual anecdotal experiences are averaged out. Your single experience is far less representative of actual reality.