Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Announces 2013 Annual Stockholder Meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is no doubt he will. There was numerous references to much greater than expected demand from Elon lately, but market does not seem to take notice. I am sure he is aware of the fundamental rules for making presentations:
1. Tell them what you are about to tell them
2. Tell them what you wanted to tell them
3. Tell them what you just told them.

I believe he will drive this point about high demand home.

Recent statements from Elon on the subject:

1. Shareholders letter: US demand exceeding 15K, 30K worldwide (presumably in 2013)

2. Q1 call - at about 18 min Elon said:

"And I think there's a potential for next year, a fairly significant increase in volume as we really test the depth of the demand that's out there. I think it's probably quite a bit higher than what we had originally thought. But like I said, we don't want to just ramp volume and if it's not, how it's taken care of gross margin or have that service and just dumping products on the market. I don’t think that sort of the line is course of action. But we’ll still exceed I think what most people are expecting us to do. "

3. CNBC 5/31/2013 interview: Elon Musk: Self-Driving Cars, Hyperloops and a Cheaper Tesla
Elon indicated that current rate of NA reservations is exceeding 20K, mentioned that extrapolation means at least 50K demand worldwide; says "demand is going to exceed our production capability for several years to come"

My conclusions:
- Since they have indications of the sustainable 50K/year Model S demand Tesla is going to double production to two shifts, 500 cars a shift as soon as they will hit internal goal of 25% margin, probably by the end of summer.
- my interpretation of demand exceeding capability for several years is that Tesla expects to max-out 100K design capability of the Model S /X line and possibly are entertaining their options in this regard, including building the second line
- 50K cars/year (2014), assuming 25% margin without ZEV and GHG credits, $85K ASP, 20% effective tax rate, $500M R&D and SGA expenses, 40P/E, result in market capitalization = $18B, or 68% higher than current market capitalization of $10.7B

The question is what additional information regading the planned ram-up in production Elon will decide to share with the shareholders meeting crowd.

nice summary. I certainly hope he gives us some demand color. Stock is under pressure for sure. Last few days were ugly.
Regardless, I'm not selling anytime soon.

Last year's one wasn't bad at all. Elon gave an interesting presentation and took a number of questions after (he promised 4G in the Model S too ;)). Russ Engle posted a video here somewhere.

Am attending again this year with my wife (and son, who is also a stockholder and about to turn 18). Last year I asked Elon about leasing, (and posted my ad hoc GeorgeB interview on YouTube). This year, I plan to ask if they plan to pull the Model X and/or Gen 3 schedules forward in light of the recent funding round? (Unless somebody else suggests a better question...)

I hope I'll get to see a (newer?) Model X prototype parked outside where S#000001 was last year. IMHO, the Computer Museum is definitely worth touring after the meeting if you haven't been and have the time.

PS. Even my 80 y/o Mom bought some TSLA before the short squeeze. She was annoyed with Schwab because they had a poor rating on it, so she only bought 100 (instead of 500) shares.

Am attending again this year with my wife (and son, who is also a stockholder and about to turn 18). Last year I asked Elon about leasing, (and posted my ad hoc GeorgeB interview on YouTube). This year, I plan to ask if they plan to pull the Model X and/or Gen 3 schedules forward in light of the recent funding round? (Unless somebody else suggests a better question...)

I hope I'll get to see a (newer?) Model X prototype parked outside where S#000001 was last year. IMHO, the Computer Museum is definitely worth touring after the meeting if you haven't been and have the time.

PS. Even my 80 y/o Mom bought some TSLA before the short squeeze. She was annoyed with Schwab because they had a poor rating on it, so she only bought 100 (instead of 500) shares.

Thats a GREAT question. Fire away.

Alternate: how's the effort going to get down to single shift to produce 100 units per day? And ramp to up to 2 full shifts of production.

Another interesting question to ask Elon is if in light of recent indications demand could exceed current maximum design factory output of approximately 100K of Model S and X, and are there plans to address such situation by installing another production line ? (See my post#40 above).

It would be fantastic if you can post your QA, whatever it turns out to be, on YouTube!