Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors CTO talks future batteries and charging protocols

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This bit was particularly interesting to me:
What about the communication protocol of the Combo Connector? It’s considered essential for V2G.
That’s fine. We’re definitely commonizing with all of that. The only thing that’s up for debate in all of these standards is the physical geometries of the pins and sockets. Everything else is pretty easy to adapt to. The communication standards are pretty universal. We’re 100% compliant with all the J1772 communication levels, signaling, voltage, everything.

With the SAE combo signalling being compatible with Tesla's I keep hoping they'll just start delivering adapters for the combo plug rather than the current J1772 AC only plug. It sounds like there wouldn't be any significant cost or usability difference and it might make a few more quick charging locations available as charging stations add the SAE plug to the existing Chademo connections.

I liked the part in the video where JB talked about the 40% leap over 4-5 years in battery tech and energy storage density from the Tesla Roadster to the Model S. And that Tesla is looking to take the same leap as they go from Model S to Gen III. He also said that they could have offered a larger size battery in the Model S but that current size and range was deliberately chosen as the most optimal.

That leads me to believe that for Gen III we probably won't see an increase in range--instead we'll get the same range achieved with a 40% smaller/lighter/cheaper battery pack.

That leads me to believe that for Gen III we probably won't see an increase in range--instead we'll get the same range achieved with a 40% smaller/lighter/cheaper battery pack.

That's exactly what we need/want for mass adoption. I think Tesla has it right - 200 mile range is the threshold for widespread adoption. All they need to do is get the price down and Tesla sales will explode.

Could we hope for a bigger battery for the X?

I closely follow battery industry... Start of production of an X is the end of 2014. There is a good chance of getting something like 120kWh pack that would weight as today's 85kWh one. With silicon based anode - lots of companies are trying to commercialize this technology atm. So chance of Tesla offering such option is there. On the other hand, lithium–sulfur batteries or metal air(zinc air entering commercialization) or sodium ion probably wont be ready even in two years from now.

I closely follow battery industry... Start of production of an X is the end of 2014. There is a good chance of getting something like 120kWh pack that would weight as today's 85kWh one. With silicon based anode - lots of companies are trying to commercialize this technology atm. So chance of Tesla offering such option is there. On the other hand, lithium–sulfur batteries or metal air(zinc air entering commercialization) or sodium ion probably wont be ready even in two years from now.

Doubtful. If you listen to JB @28:35 http://cleantechsummit.com/resources-2/ it is fairly clear the question and his answer is definitely referring to the new platform not an upgrade to the MS or MX. Best chance for an improvement in the short term is the Panasonic NCR18650B 3.4Ah cells JRP3 referred too.

Panasonic already has 3.4Ah cells Tesla could use instead of the 3.1's for a capacity boost.

We do not know, Tesla might already using it :wink: QUOTE: In March of 2012, Panasonic begins the production run of a brazillion of their new NNP 3.4Ah cell.
And it is actually became available before Model S launch.

What we know is this, quote from the link in first post of this topic:

At this point we really have heavily customized that cell. We’ve totally custom-engineered that cell working jointly with Panasonic to create. It’s an automotive cell, tested to automotive standards. It doesn’t go into laptops anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Best chance for an improvement in the short term is the Panasonic NCR18650B 3.4Ah cells JRP3 referred too.
Read quotes above. Including "It doesn’t go into laptops anywhere" part.