Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors current and future battery degradation warranty...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple warranties 80% capacity after 500 complete cycles (not any 500 charges). It's 1000 cycles for laptops.

Apple - Batteries - Replacement and Recycling
The warranty is only 1 year and the likelihood of someone exceeding 500 complete cycles (or 1000 cycles in laptops) in 1 year is quite low.

- - - Updated - - -

In another thread about Kevin Sharpe's dispute with Tesla over how much battery capacity loss is acceptable before warranty coverage kicks in, @Lump posted this text from the Kia Soul EV battery warranty indicating that up to 30% capacity loss is allowed before a Kia will repair/replace the battery under warranty:...That seems like a pretty clear warranty. I don't know anything about what charging controls the Kia Soul EV offers to the owner, so don't know if it is possible to do the equivalent of a "Range" charge or not.
That's the best battery warranty I have seen so far (although as you point out, there might be the caveat of no range mode possible, so that effectively it's more like 37% capacity loss). Also, the biggest problem with Hyundai/Kia's 10 year/100k mile warranty (in general, not sure if this battery warranty is different) is that it is not transferable which kills resale value.

1. His decrease of 19% would not have triggered what he wanted
2. He admitted to many (90 or more range charges). The roadster (not the models) has a warning that comes up with each range charge that doing so frequently will reduce range. He continued this behavior despite experiencing decreasing range over two years. Warranties do not usually cover abuse

Actually, point 2) is not entirely correct. I have had the same Model S 60 loaner a few times over the past month and apparently it has been range/max charged all the time because a warning similar to the Roadster warning pops up before you let it charge at that rate with advice to LOWER the limit to something less than 100%. (I have not seen this on a Model S 85 loaner or on ourown car as I charge closer to 80-90 most days that I charge our Model S.

I'll just put out there that when I bought my 2007 Prius (which was almost as rare in MI then as Model S's are now), I nearly backed out of the deal when I saw that the MI warranty for the battery was 100,000 mi (which the salesman said was a federal requirement), but was 150,000 mi in CARB states. I asked the dealer why the warranty in non-CARB states wasn't also 150,000 mi, and he couldn't give a good answer. This made me wonder if maybe Toyota figured that the batteries were only good to something like 200,000 mi (but with a lot of variation), and they were giving the poorer warranty to me to reduce the number of claims overall.

Now that I'm almost at 300,000 mi, with no significant degradation, I feel a lot better. At the time however, it was the most I had ever spent on a car, by far, and the high cost of battery replacement was daunting. I went ahead with the deal when my TCO analysis showed I'd still be ahead even if I had to replace the battery every 200,000 mi. Still, even that little bit of warranty information allowed me to go ahead with the deal.

As a high-mileage user, I have to say that I would sleep a lot better if the warranty for the Model 3, which would again easily be the most I have ever spent on a car, spelled out what would be my worst-case degradation scenario, knowing full well that the actual experience would probably be a lot better than that. At least I would have something to plan around, leaving my surprises to be happy ones.

2. He admitted to many (90 or more range charges).
NO I DID NOT SAY THAT. I have done nothing like 90+ range charges because while my twice monthly trip would theoretically require 96 range charges I've never actually undertaken that number of trips (I've twice been away for 3+ months when the car has been in the garage in storage mode). I also made it clear that in the early days my regular trip had 32A charging while I was at the destination and that negated the need for a range charge.

Please remember that my battery degradation was apparent before the car was 18 months old and it had driven less than 19,000 miles when Tesla 'repaired' the battery. Indeed, I believe the battery has been faulty since it was new.

Lets keep the discussion of my problems in the appropriate thread and focus here on persuading Tesla to implement a degradation battery warranty that we can all trust.

The problem with putting a specific number in a warranty is that number will have to be lower than the average expected loss, which will make pack durability look worse than it actually is.
+1. It does seem premature for Tesla to offer a capacity warranty. Overall, from what I've been reading on TMC, I am very confident in the engineering of the Model S packs. As a future Tesla buyer, I'll place greater weight on real-world user experiences than on a necessarily low number on a formal capacity warranty. If the outliers with Tesla's first-generation (Roadster) packs are still only down about 20% at 50-60K miles and four years, basically a worst-case scenario, then that's a very good sign, IMO.

At some point, as has been mentioned, it probably would be worthwhile for Tesla to provide a price on replacement packs for those who might opt to restore their original capacity. When Nissan put forth a subsidized, low price for new LEAF batteries, this instilled confidence in long term ownership of the LEAF even though they've had no actual takers as far as I know. The fact is that it doesn't make economic sense to replace a battery pack in an older EV simply on account of capacity loss; it generally makes more sense to buy a new EV and sell the old one to someone who doesn't need as much range. However, as owners, we like to know that we can keep our cars for many years *if we choose*.

The UK mainstream press are waking up to this issue. In this weekends Sunday Times they discussed battery 'fade' alongside a Model S review (full article available online).

I have also seen a complaint made to the Advertising Standards Authority regarding the "unlimited miles battery warranty". I find it extraordinary that Tesla are receiving such complaints in the UK and this is not something you want a premium brand associated with IMO.

IMG_4793_Low_Res.JPG

1. His decrease of 19% would not have triggered what he wanted
2. He admitted to many (90 or more range charges). The roadster (not the models) has a warning that comes up with each range charge that doing so frequently will reduce range. He continued this behavior despite experiencing decreasing range over two years. Warranties do not usually cover abuse

This thread isn't about Kevin's issue. This thread is about what if anything Tesla should do about warrantying battery degradation. If the consensus from this thread does nothing for Kevin it doesn't matter. This isn't about fixing Kevin's issue, that ship has sailed and Tesla isn't likely to change the Roadster warranty now.

That's an exaggeration. Look at the Plug-In America graphs. They tell the story. Given the battery technology being used, there's no way the pack would degrade to 50% after 12,000 miles. It's simply not going to happen unless the pack seriously malfunctions, and that would be covered by Tesla.
I think you misunderstood his post.

If there's "no way" the pack would degrade that fast then Tesla should be quite comfortable stating that in writing (with warranty backing) and ease the minds of current and potential owners.

If there's "no way" the pack would degrade that fast then Tesla should be quite comfortable stating that in writing (with warranty backing) and ease the minds of current and potential owners.

What do you bet that Tesla does exactly this? If it starts becoming an issue (like drivetrain replacements did, and then turned into the unlimited mile warranty), I figure Tesla may just step up on this degradation issue in a similar fashion. If there truly is no issue, what's the harm from Tesla's perception? There would only be the upside of more positive press.

Time will also solve much of this. If the packs behave the way I expect there will be plenty of examples of high mileage cars 2-3 years from now with minimal capacity loss and no examples of unexpectedly high capacity loss.

The problem with putting a specific number in a warranty is that number will have to be lower than the average expected loss, which will make pack durability look worse than it actually is.

This isn't a problem. The mantra of getting good customer reviews: Under-promise, over-deliver.

What Tesla has been doing, of course, is over-promising and (usually) under-delivering. They're still doing very well because there aren't any other long-range electric cars on the market. But it's a bad marketing choice. It's understandable during the initial startup "we have to get some attention" phase, but it's not a good thing to do long-term.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note I wonder how many model S owners know what their day 1 baseline range was. I don't.
266 mi. Checked the first day, just to find out.

as even a very unlikely "worst case" of driving +650.000 miles battery pack capacity (>70%) would leave you wit more juice in your pack than Nissan guarantees.
The problem is that people are buying the car with *specific trips in mind*. If the car's range drops below what you need for *your specific trip*, then for you *the car has broken*, and it's not covered by warranty.

This makes it very important for buyers to know in advance how long a trip they can *reliably* take. I just assumed that my reliable range after 10 years would be 70% of 80% of the EPA range (terribly pessimistic assumptions), and that is about 148 miles. Thankfully, that's enough for me.

*But a lot of people are buying the car assuming that they can get longer ranges than that*, and they will be justifiably upset if (a) they don't get the range they need and (b) there isn't a fix for it. It's important for Tesla Motors to set expectations a bit on the low side, and instead they're setting expectations too high (how long were they advertising 300 mile range for?). It's OK if outside forums like this are more optimistic, but Tesla staff should be saying "Expect to get only 80% range after 10 years".

- - - Updated - - -

The problem I have with low balling is everyone is going to focus on that low number, i.e. "Tesla packs will only have 70% capacity after X years and X miles".
Deal with it! It's not a problem. It's true that overadvertising gets more sales, but that's not a reason to do it!

It also creates hurt, upset customers who will not come back and who will give you bad word of mouth. I've dealt with this with more companies than Tesla...

Underpromise, over-deliver. That's the way to get satsified return-customer word-of-mouth.

There should be a lowballed, warrantied range. Tesla can say outright "We find that 90% of our customers, who drive carefully and do not range charge, get better range than this." But the lowballed warranty range is the necessary caution to give, to avoid having customers who feel cheated.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel somewhat responsible for this thread because Kevin asked about the Model S warranty and I responded with the link to the PDF and said that it doesn't.

I think it's pretty clear from the warranty that Tesla is not promising to warranty any battery for range loss. That doesn't mean they can't do so out of goodwill (and from what I've read here it's clear they have done massive amounts of goodwill work in other areas that doesn't qualify under their warranty).
They kind of have to do warranty repairs for severe range degradation -- implied warranties of fitness and marketability cannot be disclaimed. The thing is, who wants to get into the weeds of how much degradation makes the car "unfit"?

Most of us would agree that a 95% loss of range (within the warranty period) would require a warranty repair regardless of what the written warranty says; most of us would agree that a 5% loss of range wouldn't. It's much easier for everyone if there's some sort of well-defined line, though.

Should Tesla cover range degradation? I don't know. I think it might be hard to define what they would cover and not cover due to the variety of ways the battery can be used. Being more up front about the warranty might force them to do something if it hurt sales. But I think in the end the company would be stronger for it. I would no longer have to tell people they should realize that the range is not warrantied.
That's what I think, too; I just think it would create happier customers.

- - - Updated - - -

AFAIK Tesla's "internal policy" is that their warranty doesn't cover "natural degradation" but it does cover "unnatural degradation" bc that signifies a defective battery pack and the number they use is that if the battery goes below 70% capacity within 8 years that is unnatural and would qualify for replacement.

If this were well-publicized in advance of sales that would probably be very helpful in avoiding upset customers.

Seeing as Tesla has tweaked the range calculation algorithm more than once already, and appears to have again in FW v6.0, or maybe changed the reserve, it seems almost impossible to give a warranty with a guaranteed number or percentage unless it's so low that it covers all eventualities and then it becomes pretty meaningless. Range has been, and seemingly continues to be, a moving target (no pun intended).

What do you bet that Tesla does exactly this? If it starts becoming an issue (like drivetrain replacements did, and then turned into the unlimited mile warranty), I figure Tesla may just step up on this degradation issue in a similar fashion. If there truly is no issue, what's the harm from Tesla's perception? There would only be the upside of more positive press.

mknox... I really wish Tesla does that....This will be a big relief for people like us who bought the car and waiting for the delivery and reading posts about possible degradation...and also for future owners.

If Elon Musk comes with statement like how he did on the drive train...that will be awesome.. I will throw a party for Tesla

The problem I have with low balling is everyone is going to focus on that low number, i.e. "Tesla packs will only have 70% capacity after X years and X miles".

As they should!

What's the problem with that? If Tesla (or any other company) will only guarantee X%, why shouldn't consumers plan on X%? Customers will be happier if they take Tesla's conservative estimates. If they go by averages, half of them will be disappointed in their cars.

Focusing on a worst case scenario is no more helpful or realistic than focusing on a best case scenario.
I have the same issue with this too. It does not help Tesla at this point to put in a hard number because the demand for the cars simply don't call for it. All I forsee will happen is negative reports about the lower number.

Nissan had to put a hard number simply because they had a lawsuit and multiple examples of cars reaching below the warrantied amount. Also, most of the EVs out there have so little range that there's really little to no buffer even for daily trips (while the Tesla in most cases offer enough range to have a decent buffer for daily trips).

I think eventually Tesla might put a hard number for the Gen 3, but it's not really necessary right now. And if they do put a number it should be when they are ready to put one higher than what the rest of the industry is doing.