TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Motors has now manufactured more production vehicles than...

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by jdevo2004, Mar 26, 2013.

1. jdevo2004

jdevo2004 Member

Fisker

Bricklin

Delorean

AND....

2. vcor

vcor Member

Tucker (ok, a bit dated)

3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Let's hope things keep going well, and this the last reference that links these 4 companies in the same sentence

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I thought deloren was 9000 cars

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#5 brianman, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    I prefer to compare statistics with companies that are making it, rather than those that aren't/haven't.

That said...

History Of Bricklin
    DeLorean Motor Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Ford may not be the greatest comparison as many early models were just variants/improvements on one another. None-the-less I compiled some data I found detailing the early cars sales figures (up to, and including Model T). I don't know how accurate it is so take it with a grain of salt:
    Here's a breakdown of each models' sales numbers:
    A sales breakdown for Model T (1909-1927). Ford sold ~15M of them during the 18 year run.:
    Here are more detailed breakdowns if anyone is interested:
    Ford Model T Production
    Original Model T Ford Prices by Model and Year

Knowing that Ford's Model S (3750 sales total) gave rise to Ford's Model T (10,667 first-year sales) makes me wonder if Musk and the rest of the Tesla team chose the name "Model S" signifying that BlueStar will be the vehicle that triggers widespread EV sales.

7. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

This year Tesla Motors produced more cars then Lotus Cars... So Tesla is bigger the Lotus. Quite ironic :)

Porsche produce ~100,000 units per year, Tesla is not there yet... But my fingers crossed :biggrin:

8. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

9. Soflason

Soflason Member

Great data point right there. Ironic indeed (when you think of Tesla Roadster, for sure), but, pulling ahead of Lotus is definitely a real strong statement that shows Tesla moving further away from niche brand to mainstream acceptance...

10. GSP

GSP Member

There is an old thread about this from the early days of Roadster production. The Roadster exceeded many EV makes, and the Model S will exceed all of the EVs produced by all automakers in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Nissan may have beat Tesla to this number however.

GSP

11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Adding in the Roadster (how quickly we forget) production then Tesla has out produced DeLorean.

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

In terms of annual production, might as well add Lamborghini (~2k annually). Outproducing Bentley is imminent (~9k annually).

(OP was probably talking about total production.)

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I thought we comparing the S to the D.

One of my favorite Elon quotes went something like.-- If I had a dime for every time someone has brought up Delorean, I could have fulled funded...

14. viperboy

viperboy Member

According to Autoblog (link: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/03/2012-dont-call-it-a-comeback-edition/) Lambo only sold a couple of hundred last year. I believe these numbers are from the actual manufactor's so I'm confident they are accurate. That being said, the most surprising is Land Rover (inclusive of Range Rover) only being 43,xxx.

Tesla can easliy outproduce Lambo, Bently, Maserati and Jaguar, and that will theoretically happen this year!

15. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

The Delorean was a good car, stainless steel & all that. But that is a lot of cannibalisation.

[A large number of the original cars are still on the road after over 30 years; most estimates put it at 6,500 cars surviving out of just over 9,000 built.]
    --

16. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Nissan currently has the record for number of all-electric cars sold in a calendar year, beating all the 19th / early 20th century companies. Tesla will probably not beat Nissan's record in 2013, but it will come close. (And for total cars sold, Nissan has a year's head start, basically.)

However, Tesla will probably beat the record for number of all-electric cars sold in a calendar year *in the US* in 2013.