Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors in Australian Broadcasting Corp program Four Corners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
If you missed tonight's Four Corners Program titled Power to the People you should try and catch one of the replays on Tuesday or watch it on ABC iView.
It's somewhat depressing as it shows the changes in policy in Canberra are threatening investment in large scale renewable energy and shows how different it is in California where they are putting in large scale renewables and one of the biggest manufacturing enterprises there makes fabulous electric cars.

Sorry if this is off topic, but if you liked the Four Corners program you should also listen to the ABC Radio episode of Background Briefing titled The Price of Power.
I just wonder when the Energy generators will wake up to the fact that by raising prices they are helping to accelerate the transition away from centrally generated power.:scared:

I watched it last night and found the show a bit depressing. We have lunatic politicians who are sending us further and further into the dark ages.

First it was the internet (Richard Alston and Helen Coonan repressed most advancement, then the repeal of the NBN) and now, when there is evidence world-wide that economies (and companies like Apple) are advancing on the pure $ numbers (not even ecology ideals) of renewable energy, we are seeping further and further behind.

Insane!

I watched it last night and found the show a bit depressing. We have lunatic politicians who are sending us further and further into the dark ages.

First it was the internet (Richard Alston and Helen Coonan repressed most advancement, then the repeal of the NBN) and now, when there is evidence world-wide that economies (and companies like Apple) are advancing on the pure $ numbers (not even ecology ideals) of renewable energy, we are seeping further and further behind.

Insane!

Whatever we do, we have to ensure that the less well off amongst us in Australia, and the world, don't fall behind in the move towards renewables. Those stuck on the grid will be pummelled by ever increasing bills and it could lead to many people falling into the poverty trap.

Whatever we do, we have to ensure that the less well off amongst us in Australia, and the world, don't fall behind in the move towards renewables. Those stuck on the grid will be pummelled by ever increasing bills and it could lead to many people falling into the poverty trap.

I think that you will find once it becomes widely apparent that its cheaper to generate your own power than to buy it there will be a lot of political pressure to fix it. Mind you, the Murdoch press will discount it and run a campaign to subvert it anyway.

In the last few weeks we have tried to get a better deal for our electricity supply at home mainly in preparation for the Tesla. Most suppliers like our current one, Energy Australia, have a 15-18% saving if you lock in for 24 months.
The moment you mention that you have solar panels the deal is off the table. So, directly and indirectly, we are getting screwed. The sooner that companies like Redflow can get storage to our premises the better. I went to a Smart Grid, Smart City seminar in Newcastle on trials of various storage technologies last year but like all renewables funded groups, they are now sadly closed down. They were have trial success with Redflow batteries, ceramic fuel cells and large storage batteries in shipping containers (used at the old Sydney Olympic village).

There is is a fair bit of brain power among the people of this forum. What can we do to effect change without being just pointless whinging?

In the last few weeks we have tried to get a better deal for our electricity supply at home mainly in preparation for the Tesla. Most suppliers like our current one, Energy Australia, have a 15-18% saving if you lock in for 24 months.
The moment you mention that you have solar panels the deal is off the table. So, directly and indirectly, we are getting screwed. The sooner that companies like Redflow can get storage to our premises the better. I went to a Smart Grid, Smart City seminar in Newcastle on trials of various storage technologies last year but like all renewables funded groups, they are now sadly closed down. They were have trial success with Redflow batteries, ceramic fuel cells and large storage batteries in shipping containers (used at the old Sydney Olympic village).

There is is a fair bit of brain power among the people of this forum. What can we do to effect change without being just pointless whinging?

It's a shame you are in NSW but in Victoria I'm working (through JET Charge) with a power company to offer all Tesla owners with a big discount AND they have great feed in tariffs for solar. Stay tuned!