Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors in talks with German Government - Elon talks to Sigmar, Berlin Sept.24th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During his European Tour Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk is in Germany this week.
German Minister Sigmar Gabriel, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (Google translate; German abbreviation for the Ministry: BMWi), invited Elon Musk to a talk called "Future Economy".
The talks will take place this week in Berlin on Wednesday 24th of September at 12:00h local time.
2015-09-24-BMWI-GabrielMusk-Dialogveranstaltung-wirtschaft-fuer-mogen-elon-musk.jpg

It is important to note that German subsidies for EVs are currently under revision.
Subsidies for German car manufacturers during last couple of years have not been very successful.
In her opening speech at international auto show IAA in Frankfurt German Chancellor Angela Merkel talked about EV progress in Germany.
She mentioned that the German Government will decide on a new subsidy system by this year's end (link, Google translate):
The ideas in the Federal Government diverge what is the best instrument. But we will have to decide in this year.

Live coverage at BMWi or at this subsite of BMWi for videos.

Date: 09/24/2015 Location: BMWi, Berlin

As part of the event series "Business for Tomorrow" meets Federal Minister Sigmar Gabriel regularly outstanding personalities of (international) economic thinking to the public dialog. After initial discussions with Eric Schmidt, Thomas Piketty and Professor Armin Falk Elon Musk now has been won as a guest speaker.

Questions can be asked live via social media under the #wirtschaftfm on the podium. At the same time there is a live stream broadcast of the discussion.

Registration: Registration is no longer possible, since the spatial capacities are exhausted.
Who wants to still be there live, can follow the event via live stream on bmwi.de.

Contact: For further information please contact the organizing team under the number 040 370886 385 or by email to [email protected].

Meeting: Thursday, 9/24/2015
The event starts 12:00 clock
Inlet: 11:00 clock

Invalidenstraße 48
10115 Berlin

Is anybody able to attend this meeting?

@mods I did not find a thread for this topic, please feel free to move this thread to the appropriate place, thank's!

Last edited:
Elon just said a European car company approached TM to participate in the Supercharger network. TM expects partners to cover the cost of % of the network usage.

Update: I bet it's either Renault-Nissan (or BMW)

- - - Updated - - -

Elon just said TM just tries to build cars and pay the bills. It sound likes on-demand car service isn't on their roadmap any time soon.

I have picked up the following points (unfortunately the video stream was interrupted both on my windows laptop and my iphone, thus missing most points! Can anybody help, please?! Maybe somone recorded the interview?):
- Gabriel said Germany needs incentives to promote sales of EVs.
- Charging infrastructure standard conflict that need to be harmonized.
- CO2 pricing in Europe step by step, evolutionary, not disruptive.

Minster Gabriel had to leave, now Musk on stage alone, this is transforming to a Tesla Motors press conference, lots of questions!
- 2 to 2.5 years to Model 3. Need Gigafactory for cell production for Model 3.
- Very high taxes for fuel already in Germany, but should be even higher.
While there have been a lot of questions very strange that this session was suddenly ended although Gabriel said Musk might go on answering questions!

Last edited:
Elon just said a European car company approached TM to participate in the Supercharger network. TM expects partners to cover the cost of % of the network usage.

Update: I bet it's either Renault-Nissan (or BMW)

- - - Updated - - -

Elon just said TM just tries to build cars and pay the bills. It sound likes on-demand car service isn't on their roadmap any time soon.
any kind of a link please to the partnering on supercharger network

Moderators: Can you merge this thread with this one? Elon Musk livestream from Germany 24.9.2015 10:00 UTC

It has a great summary, but this thread was started first.

From the summary in that other thread:

9. Sigmar Gabriel: There is a conflict between Tesla and the EU about charging standards. We wanted to have a single charging standard in EU but Tesla has already built their chargers. We are working with Tesla to find a solution.

I would hope EU sides with Tesla. The only reason is that nobody else was moving forward on the charging network and so I feel like since Tesla used their own money and time, their charging standard should be the one to focus on.

Tesla Motors in talks with German Government - Elon talks to Sigmar, Berlin S...

I loaded the video and went ahead to when Musk starts speaking, only to unfortunately discover that audio of the German translation was overlaid on top of his speech so I could not understand more than a small fraction of what he said. I am not complaining, of course that video was intended for a German audience. But my German language comprehension is non-existent.
Has anyone found a video of his presentation without an overlaid German translation? Thanks.

The host has a weird way of conducting Q&A.

Why collect a random pool of questions, all unrelated to one another and then ask Musk to answer them all in a broad way.

I don't get it. Any German speakers understand what she is trying to do?

Why collect a random pool of questions, all unrelated to one another and then ask Musk to answer them all in a broad way.

I also thought that was weird (and judging by his expression, Musk did too). I would also ask any German speakers if they can tell us why she seemed to cut the meeting short at the end? Elon was obviously prepared to answer more questions.

I also thought that was weird (and judging by his expression, Musk did too). I would also ask any German speakers if they can tell us why she seemed to cut the meeting short at the end? Elon was obviously prepared to answer more questions.

She said Elon could answer more questions but for some unknown reason wanted to end the official part. Maybe it was getting to informal/mixed to be representative for the Ministry.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted to save time that way but obviously didn´t work out. In the end, Elon just asked to answer one by one question and got a big applause.

- - - Updated - - -

I did some write up on yet another thread here: Elon's trip to Europe Sep 2015
Had asked yesterday already to join with this one...

Pic of the line in front of Ministery of Economics:

musk_01.jpg

Pic by Friedhelm Greis scr3.golem.de/?d=1509/musk-gabriel&a=116484&s=1

She said they are ending because economy minister left. That was weird.

Unfortunately we are ending the "Tomorrow's Economy" (Wirtschaft für Morgen) program here because unfortunately the minister of economy is not here anymore. He already left. Of course you could ask our international guest one or two more questions but I would like to say thank you to our guest. You can find the videos on our website. Officially we are ending here and I'm sure Elon Musk will be around to answer some more questions.