TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Motors: Please post a new video of the Tesla Factory

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by tdelta1000, Mar 20, 2012.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Hello Tesla Motors,

Could you (TM) post a new video of the Beta or Release versions of the Model S going the through the build process at the Tesla Factory. I think it would be nice for the current reservation holders, potential buyers and the general auto industry to see that the Model S is no longer being hand built and that they are coming off of the very beautiful and technologically advanced Tesla factory floor.

Model S VIN 43 and 44 that were recently shown during the Santana Row event are excellent examples of the craftsmanship coming out of the factory and it would be nice for all to see the actual process of building an "S".

thanks,

tdelta1000

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

If Tesla wants to be really different, why not install a webcam or two....?

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

It's one thing to show a controlled video of the factory, but there's probably a certain amount of not wanting to show the sausage actually being made.

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I'm kinda' hoping that Tesla might give reservation holders somewhat of a glimpse into the live assembly line at some point. It'd be perfect if each of us res holders can see our own car coming off the line (via streaming video online!) atleast at the very end of the assembly process (with no trade secrets being caught on video)! Now, that'd be groundbreaking!

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Groundbreaking yes but I think that would be over kill. A simple video highlighting the building of a Beta or Release version of a Model S. Anything else would be gravy.

7. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

I recall someone asking an official Tesla person if we could watch our cars coming off the line and the answer was a firm "no."

8. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

This was discussed during one of the interviews last weekend. It is not possible because the cars are made in batches depending on color packages etc. so your specific car is not necessarily coming off the line after the previous reservation number. So it becomes logistically impossible to satisfy everyone whom would like to see this. Also it is not groundbreaking since Volkswagen has been doing just that for the Pheaton and also their Bugatti brands but there the volume is much lower and the cars much more handmade and therefore not batched to the same extent as a large scale production car

my two cents on the subject

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I think the question may have been based on the idea of having people on the factory floor while the building is going on... and of course TM would say no. Now an authorized TM video would be quick, easy and it would satisfy the masses.

10. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Puttin' on my top hat! ....

12. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

They also posted this to their Facebook feed with the description of "Shots from the Tesla Factory: Here robots install the panoramic roof. High definition 3D cameras precisely locate the vehicle body, so a robot can place the panoramic roof system accurately within a fraction of a millimeter."

13. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Thanks TM for all that you do for your owners, your reservation holders and your fans.

14. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

TM new factory video???? Just show us something like a completed "S" rolling off of the line going into the in factory test area or the painting of an "S" going in for final fit and finish. Thanks in advance.

15. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

Cool, now I have an idea what a 2012 factory production line might look like! I couldn't picture it before, maybe it's my lack of imagination.

16. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#16 tdelta1000, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
    Hey TM... thanks for the up coming update your website with the addition of videos of the Tesla Factory in full swing. Another consumer request made reality by Tesla Motors. Way to go!!!

17. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

19. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I can't wait for customer deliveries to begin just for the amount of video content that is all of the sudden going to be thrust onto YouTube. I can't even imagine how many hours of YouTube I'm going to be watching that weekend.

20. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

At the end of this blog post:

The countdown is on… It’s time to deliver Model S! | Blog | Tesla Motors

We find:

"I find myself spending more and more time at the factory lately as we prepare to deliver our first cars. As I walk alongside the assembly line, past the paint booths and through the Plastics Center, I think there are lots of interesting activities going on that you might like to see. I am amazed at how fast our robots can position major sections of the car and how quickly our massive presses can transform huge rolls of aluminum into doors, hoods and battery enclosures.

Several weeks ago I challenged the teams at Deer Creek and Fremont to find a way to share some of these cool activities with our friends and family around the world. I’m happy to say they have met the challenge. Starting with this post, we officially begin a new series called “Inside Tesla.” Every Tuesday from now through the start of Model S deliveries we are going to post a blog with a new video and a collection of images highlighting a segment of the Model S manufacturing process. Be on the lookout, we might also have a few surprises to share along the way :)."

So the OP might get his wish ...