Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors: PLEASE stop lying about specifications (60 to 75 upgrade)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's fairly easy, just have the car software not allow you to drive more than x amount of miles on a charge regardless of how much kWh you have used.

The current software limit is applied by having a percentage limit on the full charge (same mechanism as using the charge limit slider).

In that case, they would be essentially unlocking the extra capacity for free as your battery degrades to maintain the range. Actually, that might be a good strategy to please customers, but it only works for models where there is higher capacity onboard that is software limited. That would be very expensive for tesla.

I do, as many og you point out as an important factor, care about the range. But, if I could get even more range by getting what I paid for, that would not only fine but also totally correct.
90 kWh as promised and bought, should be 90 kWh, not 86. Usable or not, if they had a plausible explanation it would be OK with 86kWh usable and 4 as brick protection.
Comparing this with BMW 330 with 2.0 engine or whatever is in my eyes stupid. Data and spec's are given and delivered as you ordered and paid for. Not the same by Tesla.
Don't get me wrong, I've had many Tesla's and are satisfied. I just like getting what I paid for. My car now only have 77,4kWh left after one year. New 77,8, and that's far from 85.

Why would it be ok to get more range than you paid for? Isn't this getting something for free? Does not seem fair.

It's perfectly fine if a company wants to give its customers more than they paid for. What is unacceptable is when a company actually provides less than what their customers believed they were paying for.

It seems that discussion was about what customers want. I am pretty sure that the company does not want to give customers more than they paid for.

If buy a capacity, you control the range with your usage. Of course many get less that the rated range. Some get even more than the rated range through careful driving behavior. but they all use the same battery capacity. It just now is discovered that that capacity is actually 86kWh despite being advertised as 90kWh.

It seems especially painful if you are upgrading from "60" to "75". It seems like you are paying $9000 for 25% more capacity. In fact, you are getting a 16% increase? That is pretty unacceptable.

Reactions: RAW84 and MP3Mike
It seems that discussion was about what customers want. I am pretty sure that the company does not want to give customers more than they paid for.

Well, if we're talking about Tesla, you'd be wrong.

Elon Musk has often aid he wants to under-promise and over-deliver.

There are several examples of Tesla doing that. They have, on more than one occasion, improved the specified 0-60 times with software updates. They have provided features in software that were not promised. So Tesla most definitely does, at times, attempt to give the customer more than he or she paid for.

Of course that doesn't, in my opinion, excuse them when they deliver less than what the customer paid for. Their responsibility is to deliver at least as much as what was advertised, and if they want to deliver more, then that is a bonus. They should never deliver less.

This is what I have read from a new 85D and 90D via canbus and also confirmed in the Diagnostic menu.
I have only seen 79 on one 85. Most of 85 Dual motor are 77-78 kWh + 4 kwh brick. (I and a friend have data from 15-20 different Model S)
The older 85 rwd have a few kWh less.

So best case.
85 is 79 kWh usable + 4 brick = 83 kWh
90 is 85 kWh usable + 4 brick = 89 kWh.

It should be noted wk057 disagrees with this assessment. The 4 kWh brick is according to wk057 included in the nomimal amount.

I make no claim who is right, but the images posted by Dennis87 do not in any way suggest to me that the 4 kWh is in addition or included in the nominal value, it just lists it separately.

wk057 said:
And here is what I've gathered so far:
  • Original 60 - ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D - ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D - ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 - ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D - 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D - 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D - 65.9 kWh usable
Edit: For clarification, the larger packs use a 4 kWh bottom lockout and the smaller packs use a 2.4 kWh bottom lockout. This capacity (included in the "total capacity" numbers above) is NOT usable for driving or other purposes.

If that were the case across all 90's I'd call that close enough since it could have been even more at the factory when the pack was assembled. Capacity loss is generally steeper in the beginning.

I would agree 89 kWh (including bricking buffer) would be close enough to call 90 kWh, however it should be noted wk057 does not agree with that claim. He says this of the 90D:

wk057 said:
90D/P90D - ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
...the larger packs use a 4 kWh bottom lockout and the smaller packs use a 2.4 kWh bottom lockout. This capacity (included in the "total capacity" numbers above)...

Would also like to know figures for an older 60D (software limited).

Does the 62.4kWh stay constant even as the battery degrades?

i.e. after one year does it become something more like 62.4kWh vs 70.6 kWh total. Or is the 62.4kWh limit scaled proportionally?

Would also like to know figures for an older 60D (software limited).

Does the 62.4kWh stay constant even as the battery degrades?

i.e. after one year does it become something more like 62.4kWh vs 70.6 kWh total. Or is the 62.4kWh limit scaled proportionally?

Here is the original 60 amongst others from early this thread:

wk057 said:
And here is what I've gathered so far:
Edit: For clarification, the larger packs use a 4 kWh bottom lockout and the smaller packs use a 2.4 kWh bottom lockout. This capacity (included in the "total capacity" numbers above) is NOT usable for driving or other purposes.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

Last edited:
It should be noted wk057 disagrees with this assessment. The 4 kWh brick is according to wk057 included in the nomimal amount.

I make no claim who is right, but the images posted by Dennis87 do not in any way suggest to me that the 4 kWh is in addition or included in the nominal value, it just lists it separately.

On the data I did log from a new 85D and 90D it looks like the 4 kWh should be added.

Example my own car a P85D reports 78 kWh available. 77-78 is the more normal capacity I do read on not so old 85 packs. The 79 was on a very late delivered 85D right before production did end.
If I do not add the 4 kWh I don't get the numbers when driving from 100-0% to add up. As I still have a few KWh available bellow 0.
So the total capacity on my car should be 78 + 4 brick = 82 kWh. That is almost the same as wk057 did write.

When I log the BMS on a 90 pack I think the same should apply. The 90 has 7-8%? more range so 85 kWh should be available for use. So it should be correct to add + 4 kWh brick on the 90 pack to.
Maybe wk057 have forgot to add 4 kWh brick on the 90 pack or the 90 pack readout was on a earlier demo car? :p the rest of the numbers for the other batteries looks to be correct.

Last edited:
Umm. No he doesn't. Take a look at this post: "Usable. does not include 2.4 kWh unusable bottom capacity. (4 kWh on 85/90)" in that he is answering a question about the "nominal" amount.

Yes he does. Maybe you are mistaking usable with total? wk057 included the buffer in the total number, not the usable number:

"For clarification, the larger packs use a 4 kWh bottom lockout and the smaller packs use a 2.4 kWh bottom lockout. This capacity (included in the "total capacity" numbers above)"

And the total number, including buffer, were ~81.5 kWh for the "85 kWh" battery and ~85.8 kWh for the "90 kWh" battery. Assuming wk057 is correct of course.

wk057 said:

Tesla Motors: PLEASE stop lying about specifications (60 to 75 upgrade)

wk057 said:
In only a few cases do the packs actually have the advertised total capacity, and in no case is the advertised capacity the usable capacity. None of the higher capacity models match or exceed their badged capacity by any metric. This should be wholly unacceptable, yet people continue to make lame excuses as to why we should accept this as it is. I do not.