TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Motors sold 1,840 Model S's in California in Q3

Discussion in 'News' started by AMPd, Jan 5, 2014.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

2. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

3. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I would say that the "S" is status symbol in Cali.

4. Sparky

Sparky Member

Seems to be heading there.
    When I got mine in April, an approaching Model S always greeted me with a flash of headlights or wave. Yesterday, I drove across town and saw so many that it's clearly no longer such a novel occurrence. I seem to cross paths with more Model S's than new 7 -series or Panameras these days. A happy circumstance.

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Wow, nearly a 1/2 of a percent of market share! Very cool!

6. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

I believe with the ramp up of middle America and east coast super charger ramp up along with AWD options for the northern group that has come to expect/demand them, we will be able to catch up. Until then..Go Cali guys/gals

7. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

We are the home team after all! :)

The car really sells itself and it's definitely snowballing around here in the Bay Area and in the LA area. I've posted before that my car still gets longing looks from Audi/BMW/Merc drivers on the road who are hopefully just waiting it out on their leases before switching to the MS; more so as I whiz by in the carpool lane while they are practically at a standstill.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

Ugm. I suspect WA still has the highest Tesla's per capita.

I drove around San Francisco over the weekend, and I saw significantly fewer Model S's than I see daily in Seattle area.

Also had a lot more people coming up to me to ask what type of car that is.

Over here it's like: "Oh, you guys only have 5 people with Model S's in your office???" :tongue:

9. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I can state unequivocally that there are more Model Ss per capita or per household in Paxson, AK than in any other community on the planet.:tongue: We're up to one out of every six households now!

10. fredag

fredag Member

Tesla sold 1983 Model S in Norway in 2013. Deliveries here started in August. Tesla had 1.4% market share of car sales in Norway for 2013.

For the month of December 2013, Tesla had 4.9% car sales market share, and Tesla Model S was the best selling car model of any type, beating Volvo V70 and V40, Skoda Octavia and Volkswagen Golf. EVs had a car sales market share of 11.2% in December.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

It is worth reiterating, I think, that those numbers are for new cars and that Norwegians also import used EVs.

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

My hope is TM can set up the newly acquired equipment and ramp up production quickly!
    2014 should be a great year for them!

13. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

It depends on where you are in California. Owning an electric vehicle in San Francisco isn't all that practical because privately owned parking in a covered space where you could install a charger is something of a rarity. Now get down into the Silicon Valley area and you'll see Tesla after Tesla after Tesla. There are literally scores of them where I work. When I was back in Bellevue last fall we saw far fewer than we see down here, which came as a surprise. I'd be curious about an actual per-capita comparison state-by-state.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

15. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Heh Audobon - if only there were 12 households there!

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Our household has two adults and two Teslas. That's 100% market share....wheeeeeeeeee

Now, back on topic: with Q3 numbers below the average, is demand in California slowing down?

17. gg_got_a_tesla

I wouldn't say that yet. As Cattledog said, Q3 was big for Euro deliveries so, that'd have taken some inventory away. There may also be more folks now waiting for 60s or non-P 85s prioritized behind higher end configs elsewhere.