Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors to deliver more than 100 taxi-EV's for use at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI Texel has the same area as the city of Amsterdam. Both are twice the area of Manhattan. Longest return cab ride would be 40 km (25 Miles) or so.

This Tesla Model S taxi is not only for the use on the Texel island, it's often seen on the mainland as well. First they take the Texel ferry and then they drive further south towards Amsterdam or anywhere else.

I live very close to Schiphol airport.
The brighter side: if I run out of normal business, I can always do some taxi-work.
The bad side: when I am still in normal business people saying: hey, you've become a taxi-driver?
For all Dutch Tesla-owners: we'wil be driving in taxis... Aaargh!!:crying:

Some 25 years ago an engineer from our Japanese representative got turned of by all the old Benzes he saw at Hamburg Airport. He said to have lost two lifelong dreams, owning a Benz and going to Germany on honeymoon. He took his fiancee to Amsterdam and probably bought a Lexus. Big fan of Dutch cheese and railroad system as well.

I live very close to Schiphol airport.
The brighter side: if I run out of normal business, I can always do some taxi-work.
The bad side: when I am still in normal business people saying: hey, you've become a taxi-driver?
For all Dutch Tesla-owners: we'wil be driving in taxis... Aaargh!!:crying:

People who drive a Mercedes Benz E-Class do that because they want to that, and they don't care if most of the taxis in The Netherlands are a Mercedes Benz E-Class.

There is at least one Model S as a regular Taxi also in Copenhagen (I saw it just two days ago in the wild).

tesla-s-taxa-taxi-4x48.jpg

The company talks about it here:
http://www.taxinord.dk/nyheder.html?news_id=42

Incase there comes a SuperCharger at the airport then it will be Terrorized by the taxi drivers.....good luck getting your car charged there
Napkin science:
100 taxis driving all the time will do 50km/h * 24 * 100 = 120.000 km /day and use 25.000 kWh.
One supercharger delivers half a charge in half hour i.e 40kWh in an hour or 960kWh/day.
~26 SC stations are needed to enable those 100 taxies driving all the time (24/7).
But taxis also wait for customers so average day speed is way less than 50km/h, maybe 1/5 of that so mere 5 SC plugs will do just fine.

Random thoughts:

1. We already know the Model S can store a LOT of luggage. Nice choice.

2. Is that Tesla-Texel-Taxi for serious? There's a mild joke here that non-Dutch speakers likely wouldn't have perceived. In Dutch, "Texel" is pronounced "Tessel".

The range mentioned indicates it are 85's.
Are you sure about that? Didn't put this into any translator but - using my German and English to read Dutch, lol- it seems to say the car is good for 380km after the tuning. Seems more like an s60 optimized for lower speeds but more weight (up to 3-4 passangers and luggage). The s60's range is 390km as per the European test cycle, i guess they just wanted to make sure that holds in real life too.

I read Dutch and I took that paragraph that the range is 380km before software tuning although it is not stated specifically. I found another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz1XC_GbGQo where at for example at 1:35 the rear is visible. It is a little fuzzy but to me it looks like an 85. I also looked up the license plate of the blue one http://www.rdwdata.nl/kenteken/2XKK66 and although it doesn't give the sub version (only Tesla Model S) it does state a price of 80K which is about a 85 with tech package.

Found in a newspaper article http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/30/E...-s-rijden-vanaf-Schiphol-door-Amsterdam.dhtml that the taxi companies that won the bid are responsible for the charging stations themselves. They also down-tuned the cars for lower top speed and reduced acceleration, in order to improve range. The range mentioned indicates it are 85's.

'Met heel veel dikke kabels en laadpalen, waar de auto's met een uitgekiend systeem snel of langzaam worden volgeladen, afhankelijk van wanneer ze nodig zijn,' zegt Martijn van Leeuwen van Bios-groep. Schipholtaxi beschikt over 24 laadplekken op eigen terrein bij het kantoor in Amsterdam.

Which Google translated as "With a lot of thick cables and charging stations, where cars with a sophisticated system quickly or slowly be filled, depending on when they are needed," says Martijn van Leeuwen of Bios Group. Schiphol Taxi features 24 filling spots on site at the office in Amsterdam."

Has anyone looked at how much additional range can be added to the Model S by reducing the weight of the vehicle, and tweeking the performance? I think Tesla has clearly stated the Model 3 will be less powerful and a bit smaller than the Model S. Wouldn't this confirm it's already possible for Tesla to produce a 400-500 mile range Tesla? I wonder if this Tweek will eventually be made available as an option for all Model S.

Last edited:
Size is more important than weight. The aerodynamics completely dominate at highway speeds. The weight is a secondary consideration.

Aerodynamics can be improved by making the design more "slippery"... but simply making it have a smaller profile does just as much.