Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Website Profile - Drivers License Number?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to your user name, click control panel, then settings, it's on the left side. Or do an advanced search and you'll find a link. I had the same question.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone inquired why Tesla is requesting we update our profiles with our DL number?

From what I'm reading, the MyTesla site has been very buggy and not reporting the correct statuses of cars as well, so chalk this up to another similar glitch. If you've already received your car, I wouldn't worry about it.

The drivers license is a normal part of the Motor Vehicle long form (at least in CA) sales agreement. I believe that their new paperwork more closely conforms to this format.

Would the dealership be liable if they sold a car to someone without a license to drive? Our lawyers at work!

I recently ordered a MS, when I got home and logged onto Tesla Motors it requested my DL as well. I don't know why? But I was too excited to care and immediately gave them my info. Makes sense they would want to know if you have a valid DL before you drive away.​

The drivers license is a normal part of the Motor Vehicle long form (at least in CA) sales agreement. I believe that their new paperwork more closely conforms to this format.

Would the dealership be liable if they sold a car to someone without a license to drive? Our lawyers at work!

From my experience in the automobile business I can tell you that a large percentage of banks do not require a driver's license to purchase a car. It is a little ironic, but I believe it is so that someone who is buying a car for their use but not for them to drive can still purchase a car. That's just one of the many reasons.

Earlier posts are accurate that it's required as part of the California DMV paperwork. If you have your car, ignore it. If you don't, you'll get prompted during the paperwork process (at least I did). I wouldn't put it on the web site unless they've done something to tie it to your purchase and you've not completed your purchase. I don't expect the web site is that well tied to their purchase/delivery documents.