TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Motors Won't Need More Money, Says CEO Musk

Discussion in 'News' started by Fr23shjive, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

Some interesting items from the conference call Q&A:

Other items from the Tesla Q+A call:

-The 2012 Tesla Model S does not compete with other electric cars, but with premium sedans like the Audi A6 or A8, the BMW 5- or 7-Series, and the Porsche Panamera

-Tesla expects buyers to order $10,000 to $15,000 worth of options on Model S vehicles

-The company expects to deliver 5,000 Model S cars during the second half of 2012

-It looks "increasingly likely" that the Model S sedan will earn five-star safety ratings "in all categories," Musk said

-The Model X crossover is not cannibalizing sales of the Model S sedan; in fact, "we've seen higher Model S reservations" as a result of Model X publicity

-The Model X is the fastest-selling Tesla model in history, and generated $40 million in sales since the concept was unveiled last week

-Tesla plans to sell the Model S and Model X in China; it thinks the Model X crossover in particular will have "a lot of appeal there"

-After the Model X, the next Tesla vehicle will be a "third-generation" volume car with a price "in the $30,000 range"

-The company made that decision because, Musk said, it had "gained enough confidence that our battery technology is scalable to higher
    volumes sooner than we thought"

-As a consequence, the next generation of Tesla Roadster will be "pushed out four years or so," meaning a 2015 model

-Tesla will provide a complete powertrain--not just a battery pack and charging equipment--to Mercedes-Benz for a future vehicle program

Tesla Motors Won't Need More Money, Says CEO Musk

2. Tommy

Tommy Member

Odd the Audi A7, being a hatchback as well, isn't mentioned, which I believe has the look and functionality of the Model S.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

So:

2012: S
    2013: X
    2014: bluestar
    2015: roadster?

I could see there being a gap after X, so maybe 2015 and 2016 (though elon has stated they want to do a model per year)

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I agree because "Bluestar" and the Roadster could be on smaller platforms then the current Model S platform.

Maybe the Tesla does not see the Audi A7 as competition...lol

5. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I think he mentioned Audi A7 and also the Panamera.

6. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I think the first car off the bluestar platform will be the next gen Roadster. As a sports car, it can sell at higher prices and recoup higher margins which help to cover the development costs for that platform.

With the Roadster scheduled for 2015, there is a gap at 2014. A possible solution for the "one model every year" statement would mean another car base off the Model S platform. One investor presentation from Tesla featured a coupe (would be silly to be followed by the roadster) and a minivan (but who wants one of these after Model X?).
    I don't see things fit together here.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The Model X is supposed to start limited delivers in 2013 but will probably be mostly a 2014 start for the bulk of the initial production.

I agree. I would think they could introduce the next gen Roadster in early 2014 after Model X starts deliveries for delivery in 2015. Hopefully the blue star could start delivery in late 2015 or 2016.

8. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

Hasn't Elon already said that the ~$30,000 comes before the next gen roadster?

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

What about van & convertible on S skateboard?

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yup, on the earnings call he said our thoughts were initially right (roadster first), but that they now realize they can do the car for a reasonable price. So, after X, Bluestar.

11. daniel

daniel Active Member

Thanks for posting this. It's all great news.

12. roblab

roblab Active Member

And then, a pickup. Right?

13. Sergio Ochoa

Sergio Ochoa Member

Is it just me or would anyone else be interested in a electric motorcycle made by Tesla. Shoot, can you imagine if they ever made an electric bike? That would be sweet!

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

15. daniel

daniel Active Member

I know a guy who builds electric motorcycles. Motorcycles scare me, though. I won't get on one. He does have a hybrid trike, though: Electric assist with pedals. I came close to tipping it over. :crying:

16. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yes! It would probably be the most fun and dangerous vehicle known to man!

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I think the van is next. It would announce very close to the Bluestar.

Businesses need small cargo EVs!!

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Let's see if elon makes it "blah". Delivery vans with quad-hinge crouching spider hidden mantis doors?

19. Krandon

Krandon Member

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member