Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Moves To Solve the Problem of Dying 12-Volt Li-Ion Batteries on the LFP Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old news?

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 3.16.21 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Interesting. First question that comes to mind is this wasn’t field tested prior to release and distribution? Seems like everything is “beta“ now instead of any in house testing prior to distribution to the masses. Just surprising to me. I’m a Tesla fan but come on now.

Ski

• Disagree
Reactions: silenteski
Interesting. First question that comes to mind is this wasn’t field tested prior to release and distribution? Seems like everything is “beta“ now instead of any in house testing prior to distribution to the masses. Just surprising to me. I’m a Tesla fan but come on now.

Ski
It looks to me like the article has things confused. The way I read it is the LFP battery shuts down early because of the calibration issue, at which point the lion 15v accessory battery only lasts ~20 minutes, which is expected. (The accessory battery isn't designed to power the car for a long time.)

Ski
Even one of the most advanced battery manufacturers in the world, can still run into issues. I wouldn’t automatically assume the problem was lack of field testing though.
Seems there’s a calibration problem fix being delivered OTA.

When Apple sends out a new update to the general public, (after beta testing with developers), and still bugs appear, is that also viewed as a lack of field testing?
I suspect you can’t always find every bug and glitch through field testing…

LFP is an inherently safer chemistry and it's voltage compatible with AGM/lead acid batteries and conventional 12VDC devices including trailer auxiliary power which doesn't work the high li-ion voltage as pointed out in the article.

It sounds similar to the Ohmmu issues. In the case of Ohmmu, the cars software was trying to do an over voltage test of the standard 12 volt battery. The Ohmmu BMC would disconnect from the car to protect the 12 volt battery. It would automatically reset after a few minutes but not after a bunch of warnings. It sounds like perhaps they uploaded software for a lead acid battery car that had Lion.

LFP is an inherently safer chemistry and it's voltage compatible with AGM/lead acid batteries and conventional 12VDC devices including trailer auxiliary power which doesn't work the high li-ion voltage as pointed out in the article.
Two things have to be changed for the higher li-ion voltage. The wiper pump, and a converter for trailer aux power.
Tesla could have used a lower voltage, but chose a higher voltage. There are reason for that - one big one is that 12V automotive equipment can handle voltages up to 16V by design.

Seems like everything is “beta“ now instead of any in house testing prior to distribution to the masses. Just surprising to me.
Reminds me of the deploying of the display changes of V11. They seemed to have tested it on the horizontal screen, but not the vertical screen of the S and X, with several things cut off and truncated and not able to display properly.