Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Moving Headquarters to Austin, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is moving its headquarters to Austin, Texas.

Chief Executive Elon Musk announced the move during the company’s annual shareholder meeting. The CEO has relocated to the state and Tesla is currently building a factory near Austin. Tesla’s current HQ is in Palo Alto, Calif.

Last year, Musk disagreed with officials in California over certain coronavirus restrictions that temporarily shut down Tesla’s factory. He signaled at that time that the company may move to Texas. Tesla also released two press releases recently with a dateline of Austin rather than Palo Alto.

Construction at Giga Texas began in July 2020. Production of the Model Y at the factory is expected to begin by the end of the year and ramp up in 2022. The factory will also produce the Cybertruck, which Musk said will not be available until the end of next year. Volume production for Cybertruck will not kick in until 2023.

Musk said Tesla will explore a new factory next year and possibly make a decision in 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator note: Obviously this is very big Tesla news, and extremely pertinent to TMC. It's an exciting and interesting development, and I'm certain everyone is eager to discuss it. It's important to note is that it is likely to act as a magnet for people who want to discuss their political opinions of why this is a terrible or wonderful idea, and why Texas is better than California or vice versa. For good reason, that is not the kind of content that is permitted here at TMC. Where possible, please keep discussion to the overall effects or motivations behind the move without injecting politics or tribalism into the mix.

Thanks for understanding and cooperating as best as possible!

Shame, Cali really messed up. Big time!
How? By giving Tesla millions in tax breaks, supporting EV’s more than any other state, and buying more Tesla’s than anywhere else? Why do cities and states bend over to please people with billions of dollars? Seems to me he should pay for the privilege of operating where ever he sets up shop.

I just wonder what took Tesla so long to move out of CA.
The decision is surely logistically and financially motivated on its surface. But aren't these issues intertwined with politics? I just wonder how one can discuss the move without mentioning the politics of it. If the TMC is concerned about it, it shell be calm on reporting on the move alltogether.

Clearly this move is about sending a message, and I for one received it. I love my M3 but my next EV will not be a Tesla.
Interesting. I don't agree. But I kinda understand (maybe)?

But mostly I'm curious which EV you are considering for your next purchase. What do you think will be on par with M3? Or, which EV is closest to the M3 that you would be willing to sacrifice _fill_in_the_blank_ feature because the new car is not a Tesla?

Reactions: WhiteWi
Interesting. I don't agree. But I kinda understand (maybe)?

But mostly I'm curious which EV you are considering for your next purchase. What do you think will be on par with M3? Or, which EV is closest to the M3 that you would be willing to sacrifice _fill_in_the_blank_ feature because the new car is not a Tesla?

By the time my Model 3 needs replacing, which I hope and expect will be many years from now, I anticipate having a lot of options. The mainstream auto manufacturers are behind Tesla now in most aspects of the technology, but that probably will not last forever. I would consider a Ford EV, if they improve their game (and also start making sedans again). I might also consider VW, although with some hesitance. A potential Apple EV would be something that I might contemplate as well. And the Korean manufacturers are starting to make some interesting electric cars.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Model 3 - best car I have owned - and I appreciate all that Tesla has done to advance the EV project. But I am tired of EM's antics. I just about cancelled my Tesla order just before getting it due to his latest public comments and behaviours at the time. I actually let a Tesla rep know how dismayed I was. But I was very committed to going electric, and Tesla was the best choice, and still is in my view. That will not necessarily be the case in a few years - not for me anyhow.

At first I was a little annoyed that Musk would do this because of the history of breaks and privileges he was given from California, but there's a lot of reasons for Texas to be more enticing:

1) Tax breaks and tax policies (though it's really a race to the bottom)
2) Cheaper labor force
3) Fremont plant is pretty much land-locked for expansion while Texas has huge cheap empty spaces
4) Regulation is less restrictive
5) Litigation is much cheaper. Nuisance value cases in Ca is about $30K, while only $10K in Tx...and we all know Tesla sucks at litigation and settlements
6) Tesla's relationship with Ca might be tapped out, there are so many more opportunities in Tx especially considering their disastrous energy grid issues
7) Tx isn't the brain-drain it once was. College grads are sticking around instead of leaving for Ca, Ny, Ma, and the shale regions/other Gulf states
8) Tx is in the middle of the country and cuts distribution costs/time
9) Cybertruck will likely be more popular in the Great Plains/Midwest than the Pacific Coast regions

I think it's clear that Tesla will keep a strong presence in California, but moving their HQ to Texas is just too good to pass up. At least they aren't domiciling in Ireland like all the other Tech companies did a decade ago.

I am extremely disappointed. I lack words to express the magnitude of my disappointment. I don't yet know how this will affect my overall opinion of Tesla going forward. But since my reasons are political, and we've been asked not to discuss politics, they'll have to remain unspoken. Probably not hard to guess, though.
ALL corporations are looking for maximizing profit before anything else. There is no reason to be upset about corporations until they start doing something borderline illegal. Tesla now can introduce a Texas edition of the Cybertruck with a coal rolling functionality.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911