TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla moving into old Infiniti dealership in North East Ohio.

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by RobStark, Oct 22, 2014.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Northeast Ohio's first electric car company Tesla Motors coming to Mayfield Road in Lyndhurst

16145134-mmmain.jpg

LYNDHURST, Ohio — Tesla Motors, an electric car company specializing in custom-made vehicles, is moving into the former Infiniti dealership on Mayfield Road.

Infiniti moved out in June, and Silicon Valley-based Tesla is spending $150,000 to renovate the property. It is expected to open in November.

The store will be one of three Tesla showrooms in the state and the first of its kind in Northeast Ohio. Unlike traditional dealerships that works as liaisons between the customer and manufacturer, Tesla both makes and sells its vehicles.

An Ohio House bill requested by the Ohio Automobile Dealers Association would have prohibited auto manufacturers from selling vehicles directly to consumers and prevented Tesla from opening the Lyndhurst store. Instead, lawmakers limited showrooms to three.

http://www.cleveland.com/hillcrest/index.ssf/2014/10/electric_car_company_tesla_mot.html

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Wow, nice! Talk about improving an area. May be one day Ohio will allow any number of Tesla stores.

3. swaltner

swaltner Member

Since Tesla Showrooms don't carry inventory, other than a couple units for test drives, I wonder what they're going to be doing with the acres of parking lot that this property includes. Having posed the question, I guess one benefit of this larger property is that at the end of quarter rush, they wouldn't have every square inch of their parking space packed with a vehicle. Extra space would make these peak delivery periods much easier to handle.

4. MSEV

MSEV Member

It seems fun/weird that a state would allow a company to have three locations. Why would they do that? Is it a company and it can compete with the rest or is it outlawed for some reason--that at least makes some sense to me. But to limit the number of "stores" a company can have just doesn't make sense.

5. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

It is a compromise between the dealer purchased politicians and the green/free market alliance. Political compromises often don't make sense.

Before 1860 African-Americans were not considered legal persons but cattle with zero civil rights. Yet, African-Americans counted as 3/5 of a person for Congressional apportionment and Electoral College Vote purposes.

6. BrianC

BrianC Member

For those wondering, its at 5180 Mayfield Rd, Lyndhurst, OH 44124. thats about 5min from the i90/271 split going south on 271 (north from the Macedonia supercharger).

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Superchargers?

8. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Rumor has it that there will be two Supercharger bays, but this rumor is several months old. I would assume they will use the space to stage local deliveries as well.

9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

And a pack swap-station, and the North American hub for managing what will be a huge pack swap inventory, complete with massive fast-charge infrastructure, of course...:wink:

10. BrianC

BrianC Member

I know this area very well, it is... not very ideal for a SC area for people on road trips. The street it is on is VERY busy and waiting a light change or even two sometimes is not unheard of to even turn into some places :(

11. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Just stopped by an hour ago. Interior work is well underway. Workers were on-site. I couldn't take any pictures, but the insides were being painted and the big wall pictures of Model S were already up on the wall (for those who've been in a Tesla showroom before, you know what I mean). This is an excellent spot for a store + service center.

12. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I'm in town for a few days, I need to swing by and check it out. Sgt Barone, PM me if you are in town and want a test drive!

13. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

YES!

14. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Just drove around the building. They have a big new transformer and a few Siemens cabinets, but no sign of Tesla Supercharger bays, at least on the outside.

15. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Tons of activity going on here today. Around 10 or 15 workers cars here. Lots of progress since I last visited two weeks ago, especially the beautiful signage on the front. I got to peek into the service area and several brand new vehicle lifts were still in their plastic wrappers brand new. There was also a Model S on a trailer of a Tesla Service truck in the parking lot. I loved looking at the drivers who passed by because most of the turned their heads to look at the store. They are probably so surprised that a Tesla store is opening. Here are a few pics. I will try and stop once a week to provide updates.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

16. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Wow that is coming along nicely! Looks like they poured fresh asphalt on at least some of the parking lot...it definitely needed it!

17. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

How cool to be able to watch it go from abandoned ICE into new Tesla facility, and in industrial Ohio. What a great example.

18. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Stopped by today, several cars were there and workers were inside. It is looking so much better than just a few weeks ago! There is even a Supercharger pedestal inside the showroom...but I would guess it is just a display mockup. I can see the HPWCs all mounted and ready in the service bays...the place looks ready to rumble!

5ccb482cedb0df3a8542baa302c85e0f.jpg 3efb3facbb0a489ceb8f429944423045.jpg 7edc37b5e0a8156731eaef1b6becad5f.jpg bc49004ffc30be14cdebf55869f51366.jpg

19. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Thanks for the update, Jake! I'm glad to see they were able to place a sign out by the road. Should be ready soon!

20. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Keep up the good work in CLE. My MS is scheduled to be picked up in mid-December-- in Columbus. Would be great if I could get it a half hour from home...