Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Moxel X Plaid 22" wheel performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deciding between the 20"'s and the 22"'s wheels for a new Model X Plaid.
How is the ride quality for the 22"'s?
How does it compare to the 20"'s? Any regrets?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Since the Plaid is relatively new, I doubt there is anyone that has actually changed tires, and can offer much direct experience. But on my 2018 (which I no longer have), I generally ran with 20 inch tires. I did have a set of 22‘s for about six months, due to a Tesla promotion at the time. On that car, ride quality was similar (I am not a performance driver). But the energy consumption with the 22’s on board was through the roof. 10 to 20 percent more energy consumed. This makes sense, since the 22’s are more grippy performance tires, not low rolling resistance. I took them off in the fall (they were summer only tires) and sold them. This of course is not a Plaid, but I would expect similar behavior.

Deciding between the 20"'s and the 22"'s wheels for a new Model X Plaid.

How is the ride quality for the 22"'s?

How does it compare to the 20"'s? Any regrets?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
I just got my X plaid a week ago and can say with the adaptive suspension it's super smooth and quiet. I'd heard the larger tires transfer more force when we ordered our model Y but went with them anyway and again, nothing stands out that I'd consider an 'issue.' Congrats you're going to love it!

X plaid seems to handle everything on the road perfectly for me so far. 3rd row reviews from 12 year old are hugely improved over the 3rd row in the Y!
I concur, can only compare it to my Y and it's SUBSTANTIALLY better, smoother, and more comfortable. Highly doubt anyone is going to move from the 22s (which look incredible on the XP) to the 20s... IMO, don't buy the Plaid if you're going to put 20s on it, get the standard X.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Well, not sure I would say the ability to go at least ~15mph faster is ‘no advantage’
If you are referring to the top speed, that's a function of the speed rating of the tires vs size specifically. Question is, how often do you explore top speed to show off the faster top speed of the 22" tires? If you want faster acceleration, then less rotation mass is almost always better.