Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MS will not respond to any reboot sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My three week old Tesla MS will not respond to any reboot sequence.

I tried the following:
1. Hold down both scroll wheels for 15 seconds and longer
2. Hold down buttons above scroll wheels for 15 seconds and longer
3. Hold brake pedal down and repeat 1. and 2.
4. Hold brake pedal down and hold down all four buttons for 30 sec and longer

Both screen (dash and main) are working fine. I wanted to reboot hoping that Navigation Update will show up.
Firmware was updated a few days back to 10.12.

Do I need to call SC?

Thank you.

Rebooting will not bring an update— either firmware or maps. You’ll get it when you get it. Are you on Wi-Fi at home? Previous map updates were only sent over Wi-Fi.

I’ve had to hold both scroll wheels for 45 sec or longer to reboot sometimes.

Reactions: croman
Do yoI have the new MCU? Intel based?

http://teslamcu.xyz/

If so -
1 - it should have new maps

2 - I think I read reboot doesn’t work

And no, you shouldn’t call Tesla asking about a firmware or map update, at least for 6-8 weeks minimum.

Thanks for your response
I do have the new MCU.
1 - The dash maps are definitely not new -- I had a loaner that had a new dash maps, so I am pretty certain on that.
2 - Also reboot used to work on my MCU at least when it was delivered with 2018.10.2. It is on 2018.12 now.

It's apparently a known issue that the scroll reboot does not work on the 2018.12 yet and they are working on it (as well as a few other issues).

I have experienced a few issues with my car that is about the same age as yours (3 weeks) and a power down has solved them each time. Just FYI regarding procedure: I was told to power down with my foot on the brake, when it powers down take foot off brake, wait 3 minutes. It powers back up by itself. Dunno if it's a glitch or not but has been useful on 3 occasions so far.

• Informative
Reactions: DMack and brkaus
It's apparently a known issue that the scroll reboot does not work on the 2018.12 yet and they are working on it (as well as a few other issues).

I have experienced a few issues with my car that is about the same age as yours (3 weeks) and a power down has solved them each time. Just FYI regarding procedure: I was told to power down with my foot on the brake, when it powers down take foot off brake, wait 3 minutes. It powers back up by itself. Dunno if it's a glitch or not but has been useful on 3 occasions so far.
Reboot works fine on 2018.12, it doesn’t work on MCU2, if that’s what you meant?

And the brake pedal does nothing for rebooting. Never has. It will wake the car up.

Not my point. Maybe I am not explaining myself correctly...

I was having a problem (in this case, it was no sound at all, stereo or blinkers) I called Roadside assistance.

Roadside assistance told me in order to reset my MCU2 2018.12, i would need to perform a power off procedure

The procedure is as follows:

1. Stop vehicle and put in park.
2. put foot on brake
3. go to screen and press power down button
4. when it powers down, remove foot from brake
5. wait 3 minutes.
6. power back up BY PUTTING YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE.

NOTE: The curiosity is that the car never makes it to 3 minutes so that I can put my foot back on the brake to perform a power up. It powers up itself before 3 minutes has elapsed.

REGARDLESS, it has resolved whatever issue for which I performed the procedure even though I only got to step 5 each time as the vehicle turns itself back on.

I relayed all this because the OP (original poster) has the same age car I do with the same MCU and it worked for me.

Did this make better sense?

Reboot works fine on 2018.12, it doesn’t work on MCU2, if that’s what you meant?

And the brake pedal does nothing for rebooting. Never has. It will wake the car up.

I have no idea if it works on 2018.12 MCU1, I was told MCU2 that it was a known issue that they were addressing in 2018.12 WITH MCU2. I do not have a MCU1 so I do not know anything about how they are interacting with 2018.12

I have no idea if it works on 2018.12 MCU1, I was told MCU2 that it was a known issue that they were addressing in 2018.12 WITH MCU2. I do not have a MCU1 so I do not know anything about how they are interacting with 2018.12
And I was clarifying your post where you said that the scroll wheel reboot did not work with 2018.12 so others would not be confused. Your post did not say MCU2.

It works as it always has with MCU1. Sorry that the new cars are having all these issues! I would have thought simple diagnostic procedures (like a scroll wheel reboot) would be on internal testing list for sure.

Not my point. Maybe I am not explaining myself correctly...

I was having a problem (in this case, it was no sound at all, stereo or blinkers) I called Roadside assistance.

Roadside assistance told me in order to reset my MCU2 2018.12, i would need to perform a power off procedure

The procedure is as follows:

1. Stop vehicle and put in park.
2. put foot on brake
3. go to screen and press power down button
4. when it powers down, remove foot from brake
5. wait 3 minutes.
6. power back up BY PUTTING YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE.

NOTE: The curiosity is that the car never makes it to 3 minutes so that I can put my foot back on the brake to perform a power up. It powers up itself before 3 minutes has elapsed.

REGARDLESS, it has resolved whatever issue for which I performed the procedure even though I only got to step 5 each time as the vehicle turns itself back on.

I relayed all this because the OP (original poster) has the same age car I do with the same MCU and it worked for me.

Did this make better sense?

I can confirm this works.
Had a similar issue with mine and power cycling fixed it for me.

I also have the new MCU and had the no audio issue.

I can confirm this works.
Had a similar issue with mine and power cycling fixed it for me.

I also have the new MCU and had the no audio issue.

Same story here. New 2018 MS with MCU2 running 2018.12 firmware (but no new maps yet). Steering wheel roller/button reboot methods do not work but power down process does works.

I had 2018.12 for about 1.5 days and didn't get a chance to reboot the MCU. Updated to 2018.14 last night and was able to reboot using the same poweroff + scroll wheel trick this morning.

I am currently running 2018.10.6 and followed the instructions from this post (Screens froze while driving. Scroll button reset not Reset.) about powering off the car first then using the scroll wheel for reboot. Credits to @Solidred and @viper1619. The car is currently updating to 2018.12 so hopefully this trick still works.