Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making HUGE mistake with Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no need for customers to bring their own adapters, or a separate adapter available at the Supercharger site. They will probably do something similar to what EVgo has done to support Tesla drivers:
eVgo_Tesla_Adapter.jpg

The adapter is basically that box on the left that's permanently attached to the pedestal. In this picture the Tesla connector is in use, but when it's not, it slots into that third holster. Essentially the EVgo charging station is a standard station with both CCS and CHAdeMO connectors, but the CHAdeMO connector plugs into the Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter inside the box when not in use (and can be unplugged to charge up a LEAF).

Here is another picture of one that shows the Tesla cable in use:
1649280787567.png

As you can see, the cord coming out of the adapter is longer than standard (just barely long enough in this example!) and the same kind of thing could be done at Superchargers to accommodate vehicles with charging ports in various locations (although it may limit max charging power).

As you can see, the cord coming out of the adapter is longer than standard (just barely long enough in this example!) and the same kind of thing could be done at Superchargers to accommodate vehicles with charging ports in various locations (although it may limit max charging power).
I don't see Tesla ruining the aesthetics of their Superchargers by bolting an ugly box with a long cable attached to it. Especially since it appears their sites are targeted more by vandals/copper thieves than other DC fast charge sites. If they were going to do that, they would just make some/all stalls dual cable like the V2 Supercharger stalls in the UK/Europe.

More likely they will put a kiosk on site that you can check out/rent an adapter from, but my guess is that is the closest they would get to having what you need on site. (They will likely just start by selling adapters to get a feel for demand.)

So, it appears that Tesla is slowly moving to open their Supercharger network to all brands of EV's worldwide.

On the surface, this is a logical way for Musk to enrich himself further on the EV boom, by charging other EV owners for both adaptors, and supercharger time.

I believe, however, that he's making a HUGE mistake. In a rapidly growing EV market, soon the ONLY thing that will differentiate themselves from the competition IS that very network. Those who have a bit of range anxiety purchase Tesla because of that vast network of readily available chargers. I know it's what swung my own purchase away from Audi, and to Tesla.

Take that advantage away, and create supercharging situations like those that exist in California, with wait times common, and you take away the one great advantage that Tesla has in the competition. With range from the competition now matching and exceeding Tesla, technology outstripping Tesla, better build quality, and vastly better interiors, the competition, especially Hyundai and VW are already offering superior EV's at better price points than Tesla, and the list will explode soon. Take away the exclusive supercharger network... and just watch what happens to that "Tesla Loyalty".

All my opinion, of course. Backed only by numerous conversations with other Tesla owners near me. Larger business empires have fallen on much smaller mis-steps.
Superior built EVs, superior interiors? Are Teslas really that badly made in the US? I have a Shanghai built Y and it’s excellent, interior and exterior. Superior range? I couldn’t find a Tesla beater in the U.K. at the price I paid for the Y.

I’d imagine that the Berlin built ones will be just as good if not better built.

I appreciate the upset over the charging network being used by others, it’s the reason why I went with Tesla. However, the transition to cleaner fuelled cars has to happen so why not make it easier. We have so many players in the U.K. I have to have 5-apps and counting to use them all!

Tesla makes ~ 30% profit from its energy infrastructure and its growing. They’re pushing into the big energy companies territory so opening up their charging network makes sense. It would take the other manufacturers years to build their own or people would have to rely on local energy companies to roll them out.

At least Tesla has idling fees to reduce selfish muppets from charging to 100% and literally parking up for hours which happens on non Tesla chargers.

At the end of the day we can buy another brand and line up with Teslas to charge on the Tesla network.

does a non-tesla owner sign up and have a credit card active on the tesla app? How does tesla know what car is plugged into which stall?
Super easy in Scotland on the government installed/managed chargers. Sign up, add bank details and head to a charger. It takes seconds to tell it which stall you’re at, plug in and go get a coffee. 45kw charges fast enough to get enough miles/range. Tesla would be as easy.

I don't see Tesla ruining the aesthetics of their Superchargers by bolting an ugly box with a long cable attached to it. Especially since it appears their sites are targeted more by vandals/copper thieves than other DC fast charge sites. If they were going to do that, they would just make some/all stalls dual cable like the V2 Supercharger stalls in the UK/Europe.

More likely they will put a kiosk on site that you can check out/rent an adapter from, but my guess is that is the closest they would get to having what you need on site. (They will likely just start by selling adapters to get a feel for demand.)
Well, we are both just speculating, but I honestly think they could design an aesthetically pleasing appendage that would blend in seamlessly with the Supercharger pedestal that doesn't look like the obvious "box" that EVgo has.

I don't think requiring a $500-or-so adapter is going to meet the government's requirement to offer non-proprietary charging capability in order to gain access to subsidies, so I fully expect some kind of on-site solution.

The public will install some form of Tesla app, and certify their particular vehicle on it.
I just did this on a J1772 charger on Sunday. Plugged my car in, scanned the QR code on the charging station with the network's app (this was Greenlots/Shell Recharge), clicked on the Start Charge button that appeared (with the charging station location so I could be sure), and voila, charging started. It's not quite as easy as Plug-and-charge, but not overly difficult either.

On to the actual subject this thread, if opening up Tesla Superchargers to other cars means Tesla gets more revenue from Superchargers leading Tesla to install Superchargers at additional locations, that will ultimately be a good thing for Tesla owners. We need more Superchargers at more locations to better serve travel needs. As long as Tesla commits itself to expanding its Supercharger network as it opens up to other brands, all will be well.

Superior built EVs, superior interiors? Are Teslas really that badly made in the US? I have a Shanghai built Y and it’s excellent, interior and exterior. Superior range? I couldn’t find a Tesla beater in the U.K. at the price I paid for the Y.

I’d imagine that the Berlin built ones will be just as good if not better built.

I appreciate the upset over the charging network being used by others, it’s the reason why I went with Tesla. However, the transition to cleaner fuelled cars has to happen so why not make it easier. We have so many players in the U.K. I have to have 5-apps and counting to use them all!

Tesla makes ~ 30% profit from its energy infrastructure and its growing. They’re pushing into the big energy companies territory so opening up their charging network makes sense. It would take the other manufacturers years to build their own or people would have to rely on local energy companies to roll them out.

At least Tesla has idling fees to reduce selfish muppets from charging to 100% and literally parking up for hours which happens on non Tesla chargers.

At the end of the day we can buy another brand and line up with Teslas to charge on the Tesla network.
What is the source for Tesla making 30 percent profit on energy sold?

OK, so that's 30% gross margin which is extremely low depending on how they count it and hard to do. 10% real margin on that seems tough but he says he is aiming for it, not doing it.

The Texas numbers show the cost of a 17 unit station is $714K, but that's with the modified charging stations with CCS -- I will presume the regular one is cheaper. This is one of the cheapest prices per station around but that 10% profit will be tough.

You're missing the details.

If every public person coming to a Tesla station has to bring their own adapter, that adapter is gonna have to be hanging out the side of their car with the Tesla plug stuck in it. Now there's all kinds of fun with people either ripping it out and stealing it.
You are aware that Tesla furnishes adapters so that Tesla owners can use J1772 chargers, right? Instead of Tesla--->J1772 they'll furnish (or sell) J1772--->Tesla adapters.

What part of Santa Barbara do you live in? I've been to Santa Barbara many times, but obviously, not the part you live in...

You are aware that Tesla furnishes adapters so that Tesla owners can use J1772 chargers, right? Instead of Tesla--->J1772 they'll furnish (or sell) J1772--->Tesla adapters.

What part of Santa Barbara do you live in? I've been to Santa Barbara many times, but obviously, not the part you live in...

It scales well to supply an adaptor with each Tesla for a company that makes Teslas. However Tesla supplying the reverse connector to every other electric car doesn't seem to scale well.

I live on the west side of Santa Barbara, just off Turnpike in an area known as Blueberry Hill

Reactions: RSpanner
I guess the question is, is it more important that Tesla succeeds or that EVs succeed?
I love my Teslas, but I don’t really want it to be the only EV brand out there a few years… Ultimately that would make Tesla just a niche player.

Actually. Having spent 67K on TESLA, I would like Tesla To survive.
EV adoption is inevitable already. My prayer is that Tesla remains a strong player. I think, though. That Hyundai will overwhelm them soon

Actually. Having spent 67K on TESLA, I would like Tesla To survive.
EV adoption is inevitable already. My prayer is that Tesla remains a strong player. I think, though. That Hyundai will overwhelm them soon
There's a difference between "survive" and "succeed".

In my mind, it's perfectly acceptable for Tesla to be a top 10 player. 5 years ago when I put a deposit down on my Model 3, this was my expectation (not too many years prior to that, I was a bit concerned that even that may not have been the case).

Now my expectations are that Tesla will eventually become a top 5 player. Before VW kicked out Diess, I thought they may be a contender to edge out Tesla (eventually). Maybe Hyundai/Kia. But it's the up and coming Chinese companies that I suspect will eventually take the lead. But hey, top 5 is still plenty fine to ensure long term viability.

Actually it's not a bad thing at all if Tesla has some serious competition. Even now it seems like they are losing their advantage in some aspects of their vehicles and Elon himself seems way too focused on FSD and Optimus. I'm afraid that they are ignoring the more basic elements of their cars for these moon shot ideas.

Not that any other single manufacturer has put all the pieces together either, but whereas Tesla used to be ahead in practically every aspect, now you see Hyundai edging them out in X, and VW in Y, and Ford in Z. Just taking plain old autopilot as an example, in the 4+ years I've had my Model 3, if anything it's gotten a little worse in the past 3 years (it did take a dramatic leap up when they enabled to rear facing follower cameras to allow auto-lane change), and meanwhile other manufacturers have caught up and even surpassed Tesla with basic highway autopilot functionality, while Tesla has regressed a bit as too many FSD developments have affected basic autopilot functionality (e.g. removal of radar).

Reactions: Hank42 and Rocky_H