TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla multi-phone bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Aug 11, 2017.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I have 2 phones that I drive with (personal and work), does the Tesla bluetooth accommodate this? Both sync? Or easy to switch? My current car doesn't handle this well at all and I'm hoping for an upgrade.

2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

It's easy to switch anyway. Do any cars support more than one phone connected at a time? Does the protocol even support it?

3. chronopc

chronopc Member

I have not come across any car that supports this.

4. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

It's not easy to switch in my current car! I have to go thru a LONG song and dance with voice recognition prompts that takes too long and I'd lose the call. Is it in the GUI to switch on the S?

5. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I have a pair of bluetooth headphones that sync with multiple devices at the same time. Kind of cool.

• Like x 1
  6. chronopc

chronopc Member

Interesting. So what happens if you're playing music on both devices? Will the sound be playing at the same time on the headphones?

7. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Yes, but that's not what I do. I sync my phone and laptop at the same time and it works out pretty well.

8. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yeah, it's just 2 or 3 taps in the Model S.

9. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Awesome. Hope the M3 has the same option!

10. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the question, but three of our current cars do this easily...a BMW, Audi, and Subaru. They can connect via bluetooth with several phones and calls can come in or be placed with any of them via the iDrive, MMI, or HU screen. I assume the Tesla will be similar and surprised if this basic capability is missing. Is this to what you are referring?

• Like x 1
  11. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

The S & X only accepts one phone at a time. You can't connect two Bluetooth devices at once but you can switch between them. I really wish Tesla incorporates Bluetooth devices with drivers profiles so if Elon is driving and selects Elon's driver profile connect to Elon's iPhone.

• Like x 4
  12. mcghee33

mcghee33 Member

I think that it is important to note that just because the MS and MX don't support it doesn't mean the M3 won't. I say this because we know that the M3 supports Bluetooth LE to connect to your phone so that your phone can act as a key. Bluetooth LE has the ability to connect to multiple phones at once.
    With that being said, Tesla surely has really tight encryption on their Bluetooth protocol since the App/Phone is acting as the main 'key' for the car. So I would say even if it isn't like that today, doesn't mean they can't enable multiple phone support with an update to he M3. And it is possible that the M3 supports that out of the gate. But we will have to wait until October when the car starts getting in the hands of the general public.

TLDR: The M3 has Bluetooth LE that technically supports multiple devices but it depends on how the developers program the Blutooth in the M3. Should only be limited by software and not the hardware.

• Informative x 1
  13. chronopc

chronopc Member

It would make sense for the M3 to support this. For example if my GF wanted to use the car, she should be able to set up a profile and use her phone.

14. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

That works today in the Model S/X. The question is, if both of you are in the car together will a call on either of your phones ring be able to be picked up by the car (what happens if you're talking on one phone and the other rings?). In the Model S you choose which phone is the driver's phone and only that one can be picked up using the steering wheel control.

15. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

The protocol supports multiple devices but it's cheaper to build a master than only pairs with one device at a time.

Bluetooth - Wikipedia
    "A master BR/EDR Bluetooth device can communicate with a maximum of seven devices in a piconet (an ad-hoc computer network using Bluetooth technology), though not all devices reach this maximum."

16. siggyfreud

siggyfreud Member

Most vehicles can be paired with multiple devices, but you set one as the primary, so if both devices are in the car at the same time it knows which one to take calls or stream music from.

• Like x 1
  17. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

In this case it's paired with multiple phones, but only actively connected to one. The OP wants it to be connected to more than one simultaneously.

18. siggyfreud

siggyfreud Member

Seems like a small use case to engineer for. I see the benefit of it, but wouldn't be surprised if it gets passed over for other priority features.

19. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Since 2011, up to 4 phones may be paired on a BMW. However, only 3 of the 4 can have a simultaneous active connection to the car. Among those 3, only one can be selected for hands-free (HFP).

20. Runt8

Runt8 Member

In the vehicles I have experience with (2006 Acura, 2014 Toyota, 2016 Lexus), you can pair multiple phones but only one can be connected. I’m not 100% sure how they decide which one connects, but it doesn’t appear to have a “master” that always connects if it’s available. When my wife and I ride together it’s somewhat of a crap shoot which phone will get connected. This is just from casual observation, no in depth testing has been done.