Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MX Charging cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon all, sorry if this has been answered before, I have been watching this forum for a while but wanted to ask this specific question as I was hoping for confirmation.

With the imminent arrival (I think) of our first Tesla, a Model X, I've been doing all the research to get ready for the cars arrival. I'm all set for charging when I'm home or on the road using the Tesla network, however; the whole issue of CHAdeMO and needing your own type 2 cable has me a bit unsure what I may need when I'm on the road one day and desperate for a charge. I plan on having a charge bag with every type of cable and adapter I may need, so any input from all of you would be much appreciated.

Would this cover me for all situations? Any other suggestions much appreciated.
Public Charging Bundle - Type 2 EVs

Most likely your new Model X will be a Raven, so may have the CCS2 modifications made to your charge port so you can ask Tesla for a CCS2 adapter, so you can use Non-Tesla DC Quick Charging Networks like NRMA and ChargeFox.
This will cover you for most situations so long as you’re not going too far out of the way.
You could consider the three phase adapter kit to go with the Tesla Type 1 Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) that the Jet Charge also sell, but find out if you will be getting the Type 1 three phase UMC that has been supplied up to now with Model X or the Type 2 that comes with Model 3 that is only single phase.
If it were me I would check with Tesla when you take delivery and politely insist on the Type 1 Three phase UMC.

I think the need for additional cables is largely dependent on where you live and where you want to travel. PlugShare have a good map and you can filter by plug type to get an idea of the potential utility of various adapters/cables. On this basis I decided in SA there is no point having the type 1 cable unless you specifically want to go to KI. Likewise the type 2 cable is of limited utility unless really you want to park and charge in the CBD. CCS2 is also not much help in SA but in NSW it would probably add a lot given the NRMA charger expansion. If you want to go off the beaten track some sort of 3 phase plug may be your best bet but you may need both 20A and 32A to cover both options. As others have said above, Tesla destination chargers and SC generally provide the best coverage in many areas and require no additional cables. For one off trips, being a member of the Tesla Club and borrowing the cables you need from the club is a good deal.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman
I was in contact with Tesla last week and they no longer make the Gen 1 UMC and haven’t done so for a year. They say there is only 1 version of the Gen 2, although another experienced member of the forum thinks otherwise.

Because they are not expensive and I already have a 16A 3 pin caravan socket I have purchased a 16A 3 pin adaptor for the Gen 2 UMC from https://www.evseadapters.com/ . I’ll find out if they all fit together in the next few weeks. If there is a problem I’ll post again. I’m hopeful of being OK given that the NZ cars are being sent out with 16A 3 pin connectors of this type.

EV Chargers ( Home - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors ) are in the process of importing 32A 3 pin commando/caravan adaptors for the Gen 2 UMC and will be making suitable 20A and 32A 3 phase tails for them. I’ll probably get a set for trips to my wife’s family farm. They offer a 10% discount for members of Tesla Owners Club of Australia You can get the discount code by joining TOCA and pretty much get your subscription fee straight back.

Tesla seems to have abandoned the Euro 5 pin adaptor that Jet Charge mentioned - it only fits Gen 1 UMCs and Tesla is now sticking with the 3 pin adaptors. EV Chargers still have 2 Euro 5 pin adaptors left if you manage to get a Gen 1 UMC.

I have purchased the kit that you @machALTcrz mentioned after asking elsewhere in this forum - it seems cableless charging stations may become more common.

The downside is that the new arrangements seem to be only single phase and that limits charging rates significantly.

I was in contact with Tesla last week and they no longer make the Gen 1 UMC and haven’t done so for a year. They say there is only 1 version of the Gen 2, although another experienced member of the forum thinks otherwise.

Because they are not expensive and I already have a 16A 3 pin caravan socket I have purchased a 16A 3 pin adaptor for the Gen 2 UMC from https://www.evseadapters.com/ . I’ll find out if they all fit together in the next few weeks. If there is a problem I’ll post again. I’m hopeful of being OK given that the NZ cars are being sent out with 16A 3 pin connectors of this type.

EV Chargers ( Home - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors ) are in the process of importing 32A 3 pin commando/caravan adaptors for the Gen 2 UMC and will be making suitable 20A and 32A 3 phase tails for them. I’ll probably get a set for trips to my wife’s family farm. They offer a 10% discount for members of Tesla Owners Club of Australia You can get the discount code by joining TOCA and pretty much get your subscription fee straight back.

Tesla seems to have abandoned the Euro 5 pin adaptor that Jet Charge mentioned - it only fits Gen 1 UMCs and Tesla is now sticking with the 3 pin adaptors. EV Chargers still have 2 Euro 5 pin adaptors left if you manage to get a Gen 1 UMC.

I have purchased the kit that you @machALTcrz mentioned after asking elsewhere in this forum - it seems cableless charging stations may become more common.

The downside is that the new arrangements seem to be only single phase and that limits charging rates significantly.
The gen 1 UMC is available for USD390 from
US $390.0 20% OFF|Brand New Mobile Connector Charger Charging Cable for Tesla OEM 1058220 02 E-in Cables, Adapters & Sockets from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
and the 3 phase end is also available there.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Afternoon all, sorry if this has been answered before, I have been watching this forum for a while but wanted to ask this specific question as I was hoping for confirmation.

With the imminent arrival (I think) of our first Tesla, a Model X, I've been doing all the research to get ready for the cars arrival. I'm all set for charging when I'm home or on the road using the Tesla network, however; the whole issue of CHAdeMO and needing your own type 2 cable has me a bit unsure what I may need when I'm on the road one day and desperate for a charge. I plan on having a charge bag with every type of cable and adapter I may need, so any input from all of you would be much appreciated.

Would this cover me for all situations? Any other suggestions much appreciated.
Public Charging Bundle - Type 2 EVs

You mean cables like these Jays on Twitter

Thanks everybody for the replies. I also assumed I probably wouldn't need any cables for the types of driving we will be doing, but want to be prepared. I think ill definitely get a type 2 to type 2 cable so that we can charge at chargefox etc, not that we need to but I want to support the infrastructure. I will hold off on anything else until I might need it.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I also assumed I probably wouldn't need any cables for the types of driving we will be doing, but want to be prepared. I think ill definitely get a type 2 to type 2 cable so that we can charge at chargefox etc, not that we need to but I want to support the infrastructure. I will hold off on anything else until I might need it.

You don't need a Type 2 cable to use rapid charging networks like chargefox. Fast DC chargers always have their own permanently attached cable. You just need, for Model S/X, the CCS adapter or Chademo adapter. Model 3 needs no adapter as it has CCS built in.

Maybe I've used the wrong terminology, there is a chargefox station close to me (Des Renford Leisure Centre) which has a charging station but no cables, i.e. you need to have your own cable. I assume this is where ill need to T2 to T2 cable.

Maybe I've used the wrong terminology, there is a chargefox station close to me (Des Renford Leisure Centre) which has a charging station but no cables, i.e. you need to have your own cable. I assume this is where ill need to T2 to T2 cable.
That is correct. Also useful as a backup at the Queensland Electric Highway.
The other adapter that can be useful is a J1772 to Mennekes
US $84.12 35% OFF|Electric Vehicle Car EV Charger SAE J1772 Connector Socket Type 1 To Type 2 EV Car Adapter Charging Plug IEC62196 Standard-in Chargers & Service Equipment from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
or
J1772 to 62196-2 Type 2 Converter 32A in SAE J1772 Connectors for Sale

Reactions: baillies
(emphasis mine).

I have found with Chinese suppliers, UNLESS the kW rating is shown, expect it to be single phase only. It's all well and good to quote the Amps the charger can accept, but the kW rating will tell you all you need to know.
Ray, your cautionary tag at the end "needs testing tho" should be sounding alarms bells to by anyone hoping to get their Model3 charging at full 11kW capacity using a USD268 portable charger from Alibaba as per your link.

If you want to charge using 3 phase power and get the maximum your vehicle can take, the Juice Booster 2 is the most expensive at $2,200. Less expensive alternatives from Australian based suppliers - for 22kW capable vehicles see here for $1395 or here for $1345 (European-made and direct competitor to Juice Booster) and for 11kW vehicles this one retails at $995.

Thanks everybody for the previous advice on cables, I purchased the adapter and cable and both have served me well as I've been making a point of supporting the infrastructure wherever I go.

I am now faced with a situation where I'm doing a drive with my family next week in our X where I need a Chademo or CCS2 adapter, or have to drive for an extra hour to go via Bathurst and Supercharge. Is anybody aware of a company that sells either adapter that would be able to deliver to Sydney by the middle of next week? Tesla do not have any in stock, and their prices are on the high side. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Hairyman
Thanks everybody for the previous advice on cables, I purchased the adapter and cable and both have served me well as I've been making a point of supporting the infrastructure wherever I go.

I am now faced with a situation where I'm doing a drive with my family next week in our X where I need a Chademo or CCS2 adapter, or have to drive for an extra hour to go via Bathurst and Supercharge. Is anybody aware of a company that sells either adapter that would be able to deliver to Sydney by the middle of next week? Tesla do not have any in stock, and their prices are on the high side. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, Tesla are the only source of CCS2 and CHAdeMO. I suggest you try to borrow a CHAdeMO from another kind Tesla driver (mine unfortunately is in Brisbane).