Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MX charging speed with public level 3 chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a MX 75D on order. Very excited. The province is installing level 3 chargers in areas without superchargers. I'm new to EVs, and still trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of charging. Can a Tesla use these level 3 chademo chargers with an adapter to charge at higher speeds, that is, whatever the charger's output is? I ask this because the Tesla order form asks about upgrading to a 72Amp onboard charger... I didn't upgrade, but was wondering if that has anything to do with how fast the car would charge at a level 3 chademo public charger.

Thanks for your help and I apologize if it's been discussed. I couldn't find any clear info about this.

Onboard chargers are for AC charging.
CHAdeMO (and other fast charging like Superchargers) are DC.

Choice of onboard chargers will have no effect on CHAdeMO charging.

I believe the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to charging at 125 amps.

Reactions: BerTX
Hi all,

I have a MX 75D on order. Very excited. The province is installing level 3 chargers in areas without superchargers. I'm new to EVs, and still trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of charging. Can a Tesla use these level 3 chademo chargers with an adapter to charge at higher speeds, that is, whatever the charger's output is? I ask this because the Tesla order form asks about upgrading to a 72Amp onboard charger... I didn't upgrade, but was wondering if that has anything to do with how fast the car would charge at a level 3 chademo public charger.

Thanks for your help and I apologize if it's been discussed. I couldn't find any clear info about this.

A CHAdeMO adapter will allow you to use the L3 chargers. The high-speed chargers all provide DC to the DC battery. The onboard charger takes AC, converts it to DC to charge. The L2 chargers all provide AC at varying rates, but all are significantly slower than more direct DC charging.

You should look at the higher powered L2 chargers, of which there are quite a few throughout Canada to determine if the higher power onboard charger is worthwhile in the interim while they install more L3 chargers. But no, the onboard charger is not involved in Supercharging or CHAdeMO charging.