Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MX vs. ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I currently have a LR MS Raven and my wife has a BMW X7. We leased the X7 and are considering moving on from it because we have a 6 seat configuration, just had our third child, and have 2 dogs ( We probably need a suburban). We are primarily looking at 3 SUV’s, XC90, Audi Q7, and the Model X. In reality I wish she had gotten the MX at the time we got the X7, but she thought it was hideous. Now I have her coming around to it but I am now torn. I have a shudder with my MS and read on the forum that it may be more prevalent in the MX. I also don’t like the Tesla attention to detail in build quality, lack of CarPlay, no 360 camera, and inaccurate EPA range. ALL that said and more, it is still possibly my top contender. I have some questions if you are able to help.

What percentage of MX owners deal with a shudder? Would it effect the newest LR+ MX the same?

If people are upgrading the hardware and screens on older MX’s is it fair to say that this will be the same for future MX’s? The idea of being able to constantly upgrade the car is unique and a MAJOR selling feature.

What percentage of people do you think have FWD issues?

Realistically, what are most people seeing on road trips for range? This is her largest contention after she has warmed up to the visual of the car.

I could just replace her BMW X7 with another at roughly the same price point as the Tesla MX, but I like the lower maintenance and electric.

Thank you!
Anthony (MS Owner)

So I’m only a few weeks in with our Model X, but also have a Model 3...

So far, we’re in total LOVE with the X. It replaced a Buick Enclave which kinda defines the family-hauler segment.

I had CarPlay both in the Buick and the Cadillac I replaced with the 3; don’t miss it absolutely one iota. Not once have I wanted to go back.

The 360 cam was my wife’s biggest complaint with the X; that was solved last week with the latest software. It now shows the side repeater cameras when the backup cam is on screen. It’s not full 360, but solves the need for us.

Range has been a non-issue. It’s rated for 351 miles, and we’re doing very, very well. Better than my 3, in fact. I’d have no issue going 320 miles on a charge right now if I had to. Zero concerns.

Shudder hasn’t been an issue, but if it is, I believe Tesla would take care of me. I’m not worried about it at all.

Honestly, it’s exceeded our expectations ... which were, frankly, already pretty high due to the Model 3. Love the silly thing.

Only about a month in with a 2020 MX LR+ myself, but I can definitely report I have zero shudder that I’ve seen talked about.

Still learning the efficiency of these electric vehicles, but it’s clear that it’s all about how you drive- short local drives or getting on it and enjoying that copious torque and acceleration, yep, that’ll kill the range (would kill your MPG in an ICE as well remember) but while in autopilot on freeway speeds I’m seeing consumption drop to mid to mid-high 200’s wh/mi and that’s with 22” wheels so I don’t think you can really complain about that.

360 view would definitely be amazing, I’ve used that in BMW before, but just the knowledge that the software on the Tesla will be constantly upgraded (and potentially hardware options in the future) is amazing and something that hasn’t seemed to catch on with any other manufacturers. The 2014 Audi SQ5 I came from had software that was developed probably 5 years before that and didn’t even have an option to be upgraded to “modern” standards.

the only downfall of the X (and most of the Tesla’s it seems) is quality control on the assembly. I do have some pretty poor alignments of not doodle or body panels, but the chrome trim. I’ve kind of been letting things “settle” in but I’m confident that either I or service can adjust them to be much better. Now looking at the trim on the Audi, I’m amazed at how perfect it is haha!!

So far, we’re in total LOVE with the X. It replaced a Buick Enclave which kinda defines the family-hauler segment.

I had CarPlay both in the Buick and the Cadillac I replaced with the 3; don’t miss it absolutely one iota. Not once have I wanted to go back.

The 360 cam was my wife’s biggest complaint with the X; that was solved last week with the latest software. It now shows the side repeater cameras when the backup cam is on screen. It’s not full 360, but solves the need for us.

Range has been a non-issue. It’s rated for 351 miles, and we’re doing very, very well. Better than my 3, in fact. I’d have no issue going 320 miles on a charge right now if I had to. Zero concerns.

Shudder hasn’t been an issue, but if it is, I believe Tesla would take care of me. I’m not worried about it at all.

Honestly, it’s exceeded our expectations ... which were, frankly, already pretty high due to the Model 3. Love the silly thing.

Thank you! Do you think they will change out the charging to USB C, does it seem interchangeable?

Only about a month in with a 2020 MX LR+ myself, but I can definitely report I have zero shudder that I’ve seen talked about.

Still learning the efficiency of these electric vehicles, but it’s clear that it’s all about how you drive- short local drives or getting on it and enjoying that copious torque and acceleration, yep, that’ll kill the range (would kill your MPG in an ICE as well remember) but while in autopilot on freeway speeds I’m seeing consumption drop to mid to mid-high 200’s wh/mi and that’s with 22” wheels so I don’t think you can really complain about that.

360 view would definitely be amazing, I’ve used that in BMW before, but just the knowledge that the software on the Tesla will be constantly upgraded (and potentially hardware options in the future) is amazing and something that hasn’t seemed to catch on with any other manufacturers. The 2014 Audi SQ5 I came from had software that was developed probably 5 years before that and didn’t even have an option to be upgraded to “modern” standards.

the only downfall of the X (and most of the Tesla’s it seems) is quality control on the assembly. I do have some pretty poor alignments of not doodle or body panels, but the chrome trim. I’ve kind of been letting things “settle” in but I’m confident that either I or service can adjust them to be much better. Now looking at the trim on the Audi, I’m amazed at how perfect it is haha!!

I am just nervous about them giving up on the S or the X. Of course none of us can tell the future, but for the 80k I would wish it had some more creature features. I am in sales so I purchased the S for size and battery. I have 29k miles and I purchased in September. Will probably do 35k in the first year. My wife on the other hand is with the kids and won’t do that kind of damage, thus not really getting all of the EV benefits. It is hard for me to pull the trigger considering I could get something for 20-25k less and it still be really nice.

All things considered, I am still partial to electric and can picture an all Tesla garage, I just wish they would comp some upgrades if they do it inside the first year of ownership lol.

Reactions: MXLRplus
Hey Everyone,

I currently have a LR MS Raven and my wife has a BMW X7. We leased the X7 and are considering moving on from it because we have a 6 seat configuration, just had our third child, and have 2 dogs ( We probably need a suburban). We are primarily looking at 3 SUV’s, XC90, Audi Q7, and the Model X. In reality I wish she had gotten the MX at the time we got the X7, but she thought it was hideous. Now I have her coming around to it but I am now torn. I have a shudder with my MS and read on the forum that it may be more prevalent in the MX. I also don’t like the Tesla attention to detail in build quality, lack of CarPlay, no 360 camera, and inaccurate EPA range. ALL that said and more, it is still possibly my top contender. I have some questions if you are able to help.

What percentage of MX owners deal with a shudder? Would it effect the newest LR+ MX the same?

If people are upgrading the hardware and screens on older MX’s is it fair to say that this will be the same for future MX’s? The idea of being able to constantly upgrade the car is unique and a MAJOR selling feature.

What percentage of people do you think have FWD issues?

Realistically, what are most people seeing on road trips for range? This is her largest contention after she has warmed up to the visual of the car.

I could just replace her BMW X7 with another at roughly the same price point as the Tesla MX, but I like the lower maintenance and electric.

Thank you!
Anthony (MS Owner)
Okay, so besides not being a Tesla: What's really wrong with your X7?

Okay, so besides not being a Tesla: What's really wrong with your X7?

Honestly my wife loves the car. The primary issue (we have had really minor hiccups) is that it is a 6 seater. The captains chairs just aren’t going to work with 3 kids and multiple dogs. We have a roof box/rack and everything. One way or another, we won’t be able to keep the X7 because of that, unless one of the dogs sits on my wife’s lap on trips.

We could just get another X with bench seats, but at the price I just would prefer less maintenance and cost of ownership overall. Also love how much storage Tesla’s have. In our current setup, we would take the dogs and kids to NY from MD in just the MS. The X7 how we have it, just isn’t practical for us. Still a great car and I would say the best SUV in the premium market.

Honestly my wife loves the car. The primary issue (we have had really minor hiccups) is that it is a 6 seater. The captains chairs just aren’t going to work with 3 kids and multiple dogs. We have a roof box/rack and everything. One way or another, we won’t be able to keep the X7 because of that, unless one of the dogs sits on my wife’s lap on trips.

We could just get another X with bench seats, but at the price I just would prefer less maintenance and cost of ownership overall. Also love how much storage Tesla’s have. In our current setup, we would take the dogs and kids to NY from MD in just the MS. The X7 how we have it, just isn’t practical for us. Still a great car and I would say the best SUV in the premium market.

Can’t believe I’m going to say this, but ... if you really need 7 seats, the X is not optimal in my opinion. That bench seat in the middle row makes getting to the 3rd row a pain. And then that 3rd row is fairly cramped.

I’m going to keep going and recommend you take a look at the Buick Enclave. I get it doesn’t have the cachè of the X7 nameplate but it’s really a well designed family hauler. Very, very roomy inside and - as far as ICE vehicles go - has a good tech package. Super quiet, really comfortable, and handles very well. We were very pleased with ours (and in fact have had 3.) The third row is actually usable and can split-fold, so you could have one kid there with the other side down for the dogs etc. Very practical - I’ve moved everything from Sheetrock to paver stones to a full shower stall in the thing. It’s worth a look.

If we hadn’t had a deer run-in, we wouldn’t have replaced ours with the X yet. The plan was to go all electric once the Enclave was retired; unfortunately the deer accelerated that timeline.

...What percentage of MX owners deal with a shudder?...

I've been driving my 2017 Model X for more than 3 years and I only notice shudder when I floor the pedal without lowering the suspension first.

I don't notice shudder at all with normal driving.

...If people are upgrading the hardware and screens on older MX’s is it fair to say that this will be the same for future MX’s? The idea of being able to constantly upgrade the car is unique and a MAJOR selling feature....

Tesla seldom does a hardware upgrade and I think HW3 upgrade (and MCU2) is an exception because it was a promise in advance so it is difficult to expect further hardware upgrade after this.

...What percentage of people do you think have FWD issues?...

In the beginning, there were frequent complaints of Model X's doors, any door, including Falcon Wing Doors. However, as the production increased over time, there have been much less reports.

I have experienced zero problems with my 2017 Model X doors, including Falcon Wing Doors for more than 3 years now.

I love the Falcon Wing Doors and wish all doors, including front doors, are like that.

I also love the automatic driver door opening and closing. It just spoils me especially when my hands were all busy holding stuff and I don't need to grab the door to open it!

Another feature that spoils me is: I can close all doors including trunk with one touch on the screen when I am ready to drive away. It's now a hassle when I drive non-Model X cars and I can't just drive away when I realize there's a door that is still not completely closed and I have to get out of my driver seat to close it!

...Realistically, what are most people seeing on road trips for range?...

Range is an art of manipulation of the factors that affect it.

I drove my 2017 100D Model X (295 mile EPA) by automation as much as possible (manual driving kept to a minimum), in good "cold" southern California winter weather, 55F outside, climbed up and down Tejon Pass with 4,144 foot high, no use of HVAC, just fan only to draw outside cold fresh air in:

Actual Traveled Distance: 211 miles
Battery Gauge Start: 279
Battery Gauge End: 75
Battery miles spent: 204
Speed Range: 70MPH on CA99, 65MPH on I5, stop-and-go on Los Angeles downtown.
Duration: 3:38 or 3.633 hours
Average speed: 211 miles / 3.633 hours = 58MPH

...lower maintenance and electric...

I am lucky that I have no repairs but I did have maintenance costs:

4 tires with balancing and wheel alignment: $1,650
MCU2 upgrade: $2,500 + taxes

I wouldn’t get a q7, i have one and its too cramped. Little storage. Also the 5 year gas cost is 11k

A model X would be tough. You may be able to do a 6 seat config: put one kid in the third row, 2 kids in captains chairs, dogs on the floor between captains chair. That would leave cargo space on one folded third row seat and trunk+frunk. That seems tight though.

With 3 kids and multiple dogs, I think you need a Suburban/Yukon/Lade.

With 3 kids and multiple dogs, I think you need a Suburban/Yukon/Lade.

That's why I suggested the Enclave; it's actually a little bigger inside than a Yukon or Escalade. The lower load floor makes a huge difference. Yukon/Escalade are way better for towing of course, but for most other things, I think the Enclave is a lot more practical, believe it or not.

That's why I suggested the Enclave; it's actually a little bigger inside than a Yukon or Escalade. The lower load floor makes a huge difference. Yukon/Escalade are way better for towing of course, but for most other things, I think the Enclave is a lot more practical, believe it or not.

I don't believe it. The 2021 Suburban has 144.7 cu ft with all seats down, 93.8 cu ft of cargo space with the third row folded down, and 41.5 cu ft with the 3rd row up.

I don't believe it. The 2021 Suburban has 144.7 cu ft with all seats down, 93.8 cu ft of cargo space with the third row folded down, and 41.5 cu ft with the 3rd row up.

It's true.

Enclave:
Pax volume: 157.3 cu ft
Cargo with 2nd & 3rd row down: 97.6 cu ft
Behind second row: 58 cu ft
Behind third row: 23.6 cu ft

Escalade:
Pax volume: 120.9 cu ft
Cargo with all 2nd & 3rd row down: 94.2 cu ft
Behind second row: 51.6 cu ft
Behind third row: 15.2 cu ft

The Suburban is based on the Yukon XL which is the extended platform. Those are a different beast.

The standard Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade platforms are *smaller* than the Enclave.

It's true.

Enclave:
Pax volume: 157.3 cu ft
Cargo with 2nd & 3rd row down: 97.6 cu ft
Behind second row: 58 cu ft
Behind third row: 23.6 cu ft

Escalade:
Pax volume: 120.9 cu ft
Cargo with all 2nd & 3rd row down: 94.2 cu ft
Behind second row: 51.6 cu ft
Behind third row: 15.2 cu ft

The Suburban is based on the Yukon XL which is the extended platform. Those are a different beast.

The standard Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade platforms are *smaller* than the Enclave.

yeah, I am talking about the Suburban/XL extended platforms.

yeah, I am talking about the Suburban/XL extended platforms.

Indeed those are larger... but it was shocking when we realized the Enclave is larger inside than a Tahoe/Yukon/'Lade. It's cavernous for a crossover.

That said, the X is definitely smaller. Just this morning - my wife headed to the beach and we were trying to fit my son's bodyboard in there. It wasn't even a thought iin the Enclave but takes a little juggling to fit with all 6 seats up in the X. Small stuff.

if you really need 7 seats, the X is not optimal in my opinion.
That bench seat in the middle row makes getting to the 3rd row a pain.
And then that 3rd row is fairly cramped.

I’m going to keep going and recommend you take a look at the Buick Enclave.
I agree that the Model X 6 seats provides better access and leg rooms for the 3rd row than the Model X 7 seats,
The caveat is that, for the Model X 6 seats, the second row don't fold in this case which is less practical when carry large pieces of furniture.

I was curious to know about the Buick Enclave layout, and found this well described review from The Car Seat Lady.
But from what I can see, currently the third row is the one with 3 seats, this a little bit unusual and seems a little cramped?

Note: I can't wait to see the Model Y 7 seats to check accessibility and leg rooms for the 3rd row.
I wish a Model Y 6 seats with flat folding 2nd row would be also available in the future.

The Model Y will not be as roomy as a Model X, but will be one foot shorter and less pricey.
For daily usage the Model Y would be fine, but for longer trip of course the Model X would be better.

Just not going back to any ICE anymore..

Last edited:
I was curious to know about the Buick Enclave layout, and found this well described review from The Car Seat Lady.
But from what I can see, currently the third row is the one with 3 seats, this a little bit unusual and seems a little cramped?

Note: I can't wait to see the Model Y 7 seats to check accessibility and leg rooms for the 3rd row.
I wish a Model Y 6 seats with flat folding 2nd row would be also available in the future.

The Model Y will not be as roomy as a Model X, but will be one foot shorter and less pricey.
For daily usage the Model Y would be fine, but for longer trip of course the Model X would be better.

Just not going back to any ICE anymore..

I'm curious to see the Y7 too. My fear is that the 3rd row will face backwards, which is pretty much a nonstarter for us.

That said - the Enclave 2-2-3 layout is very common in the larger SUV arena. It's quite a good layout. The 3rd row isn't any tighter than it would be in the 2nd row; the rear wheels are behind even the 3rd row, so there's no "incursion" to that row width, if you will.

Wish the X had room for that kind of 7-seater layout; once you're used to that kind of legroom and open middle in the 2nd row, it's hard to go backwards.

Reactions: Watts_Up
We have a 6 seat X and an XC90 Inscription. While I love my X, my wife loves her XC90.

And to be honest the interior on the XC90 is way above the X. Android/Apple integration is a big benefit too.

I drive the X because it's more fun, and I love the tech. My wife drives the XC90 because its just built nicer.

Reactions: VikH and Watts_Up
I am a brand new owner of a Model X. We've had ours for less than a month and I've put about 1100 miles on it. We have a 2020 LR+ with 20" rims, 6-seat configuration.

We have three kids, and two dogs. Oldest kid is 4.5, middle is 2.5, and youngest is 8 months. Our two dogs are about 50lbs each. Our last vehicle was a Chrysler Pacifica Limited minivan. While we loved that van, we've always wanted a Tesla.

Currently we put our two oldest kids in forward facing car seats in the 3rd row, with our youngest in a rear facing in one of the captains chairs. With the falcon wing doors, we can reach our kids in the 3rd row to buckle them in with no problem. Only hard part is we have to have the youngest in the 2nd row on the passenger side, because the car seat in a rear-facing orientation doesn't allow the front seat to go back very far (I'm 6'2" so that's an issue for me, but not my wife).

Yes I do miss the endless space of the van with the ability to spread out (and the TV's for long trips), but I'm so in love with my MX. We really like the 6 seat for the quick movement of the captains chairs, the ability for kids to walk between them, and that the space between them is perfect for our two dogs to lay down.

So far we haven't gone on huge trips, have one scheduled for 2 weeks from now though.