Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MX vs. ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are actually looking to decide between 6 seater MX/X7 OR just go Suburban/YukonXL. Our issue is we just added a 2nd set of twins to our family so 4 kids (no dogs though thank god!) and I‘m having the same concern how much stuff we can fit in either the MX or X7.

If we go with MX I imagine we put the 4 yr olds in the 3rd row in their booster seats and then the newborns in the captain chairs rear facing. Sounds like we will be able to fit our bugaboo donkey twin stroller in the trunk still but it will pretty much take up all the space. If we go X7 we can put a roof rack for our luggage which will be much more spacious than the frunk in Tesla. Or we always still have my wife’s Sienna for the really long road trips...(ugh!)

One really appealing thing about Tesla is that I don’t have to spend time emailing/haggling with multiple dealerships to get a fair price or at least not feel like I’m being *** over backwards.

We are actually looking to decide between 6 seater MX/X7 OR just go Suburban/YukonXL. Our issue is we just added a 2nd set of twins to our family so 4 kids (no dogs though thank god!) and I‘m having the same concern how much stuff we can fit in either the MX or X7.

If we go with MX I imagine we put the 4 yr olds in the 3rd row in their booster seats and then the newborns in the captain chairs rear facing. Sounds like we will be able to fit our bugaboo donkey twin stroller in the trunk still but it will pretty much take up all the space. If we go X7 we can put a roof rack for our luggage which will be much more spacious than the frunk in Tesla. Or we always still have my wife’s Sienna for the really long road trips...(ugh!)

One really appealing thing about Tesla is that I don’t have to spend time emailing/haggling with multiple dealerships to get a fair price or at least not feel like I’m being *** over backwards.

Don't overlook all the floor space in the X ... the 6 seater is AMAZING with what can fit between-around-underneath the monopod seats in the 2nd row. Amazing; it's a game changer.

And then, of course, there's the X-Rack, if you REALLY need more space. Shop Tesla Vehicles | X-Rack

Do you have x-rack? Is it hard to install?

I don’t have an X-rack; I have a similar cargo carrier leftover from our last vehicle. Not only is it easy to install - it’s actually easier than it was on our Buick. The hitch placement on the X makes it super simple. The Xrack is cool but I already have something that works - didn’t see the need to replace it.

One thing I do recommend is an anti-rattle hitch pin. Given how quiet the X is, it does help: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Lock/Lets-Go-Aero/63232.html

Just actually drove with the carrier yesterday - let a friend borrow it for a road trip. All good!

I've had an X90D for 4+ years, and I'm probably going to replace it with a LR+ very soon. My MCU1 died recently. I have a 6-seater but I'm looking for a 7-seater. We don't have dogs, but we have two kids and during non-pandemic times, we drive to a lot of sporting events/field trips. The 6-seater does make the back row more accessible and usable, no question. But being unable to fold those flat drops a good deal of utility out of an SUV, in my opinion. For hardware store runs, I have always taken my much-more-flexible 2014 Model S because I can flatten the seats and load up.

The doors are annoying, in my experience. But I'll buy another despite them.

I've had an X90D for 4+ years, and I'm probably going to replace it with a LR+ very soon. My MCU1 died recently. I have a 6-seater but I'm looking for a 7-seater. We don't have dogs, but we have two kids and during non-pandemic times, we drive to a lot of sporting events/field trips. The 6-seater does make the back row more accessible and usable, no question. But being unable to fold those flat drops a good deal of utility out of an SUV, in my opinion. For hardware store runs, I have always taken my much-more-flexible 2014 Model S because I can flatten the seats and load up.

The doors are annoying, in my experience. But I'll buy another despite them.
FWD were both a selling feature and a turn off. (Mrs was sold on the Y until we started getting X loaners exclusively, game over after that) As it turns out we just have to be really careful with them inside the garage.
1CC9D580-39FA-4389-88B8-19B2FE6FEB11.jpeg

Don't overlook all the floor space in the X ... the 6 seater is AMAZING with what can fit between-around-underneath the monopod seats in the 2nd row. Amazing; it's a game changer.

And then, of course, there's the X-Rack, if you REALLY need more space. Shop Tesla Vehicles | X-Rack

Yeah, I've rented the 7-seater before with the "old" style seats and was surprised how much could fit in the interior. X-Rack def seems like a good alternative to a roof rack. Wonder how easy it is to access the trunk and being able to take in/out large items (e.g. strollers) with it attached?

Yeah, I've rented the 7-seater before with the "old" style seats and was surprised how much could fit in the interior. X-Rack def seems like a good alternative to a roof rack. Wonder how easy it is to access the trunk and being able to take in/out large items (e.g. strollers) with it attached?

It’s smaller than my Reese carrier... and I would have no problem at all with the Reese. Very easy - door clears it no problem at all.

I am a brand new owner of a Model X. We've had ours for less than a month and I've put about 1100 miles on it. We have a 2020 LR+ with 20" rims, 6-seat configuration.

We have three kids, and two dogs. Oldest kid is 4.5, middle is 2.5, and youngest is 8 months. Our two dogs are about 50lbs each. Our last vehicle was a Chrysler Pacifica Limited minivan. While we loved that van, we've always wanted a Tesla.

Currently we put our two oldest kids in forward facing car seats in the 3rd row, with our youngest in a rear facing in one of the captains chairs. With the falcon wing doors, we can reach our kids in the 3rd row to buckle them in with no problem. Only hard part is we have to have the youngest in the 2nd row on the passenger side, because the car seat in a rear-facing orientation doesn't allow the front seat to go back very far (I'm 6'2" so that's an issue for me, but not my wife).

Yes I do miss the endless space of the van with the ability to spread out (and the TV's for long trips), but I'm so in love with my MX. We really like the 6 seat for the quick movement of the captains chairs, the ability for kids to walk between them, and that the space between them is perfect for our two dogs to lay down.

So far we haven't gone on huge trips, have one scheduled for 2 weeks from now though.
How? Just how lol. Do the dogs go in the middle and stay there for extended trips? We just purchased a slim car seat for the 4 year old. The plan is to just have all three in the middle row and have the third row down for the dogs.

Realistically, what are most people seeing on road trips for range? This is her largest contention after she has warmed up to the visual of the car.

I just completed a 4,500 mile road trip to Wyoming and back and I can’t imagine taking another trip in anything but a LR Model X. Interstate driving gets you 320+ miles between charging (better than my wife’s M3). I drove between 400-500 miles each day with a stop for lunch & charging after 4 or so hours of driving. Autopilot and air ride suspension ensures the driver (me!) is less fatigued and stressed at the end of each day.

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a LR MS Raven and my wife has a BMW X7. We leased the X7 and are considering moving on from it because we have a 6 seat configuration, just had our third child, and have 2 dogs ( We probably need a suburban). We are primarily looking at 3 SUV’s, XC90, Audi Q7, and the Model X. In reality I wish she had gotten the MX at the time we got the X7, but she thought it was hideous. Now I have her coming around to it but I am now torn. I have a shudder with my MS and read on the forum that it may be more prevalent in the MX. I also don’t like the Tesla attention to detail in build quality, lack of CarPlay, no 360 camera, and inaccurate EPA range. ALL that said and more, it is still possibly my top contender. I have some questions if you are able to help.

What percentage of MX owners deal with a shudder? Would it effect the newest LR+ MX the same?

If people are upgrading the hardware and screens on older MX’s is it fair to say that this will be the same for future MX’s? The idea of being able to constantly upgrade the car is unique and a MAJOR selling feature.

What percentage of people do you think have FWD issues?

Realistically, what are most people seeing on road trips for range? This is her largest contention after she has warmed up to the visual of the car.

I could just replace her BMW X7 with another at roughly the same price point as the Tesla MX, but I like the lower maintenance and electric.

Thank you!
Anthony (MS Owner)
Sounds like I'm headed the opposite way of you. Currently have a MX p100d, and am looking to switch to the x7 m50i when my lease is up in another few months.

The MX is a ton of fun to drive in the city, and is incredibly quick. Unfortunately tho, I've been disappointed with the build quality (it's not quite inside compared to the x7, gls, xc90), I've had shudder fixed twice and have it again, and my range has decreased from 288 @ 100% to 248 @ 100%. Realistic range is 190.

For me, I take road trips a lot and just became disappointed in my MX. It's not as comfortable as the luxury brands, and the quality doesn't hold up.

My wife has a loaded xc90 t8 which is a nice blend of both. She didn't care about the coolness factor, and we needed a reliable road trip vehicle that we didn't have to plan based on range.

I still love Tesla and will am in the first few thousand RNs for the Cybrtrk, but it will be a 3rd vehicle.

I'm looking forward to massage seats, quite driving, and no more unpredictable range.

I've put 53,400 miles on my MX in 29 months, and travel on a 380 mile loop several times a month.

With 3 kids however you'll be packed out on space with any of the mid-size suvs, xc90 included. I'd suggest the Escalade esv (nicest of the bunch) and the 2021 redo looks pretty good.

Or a Thule xl rack for road trips and max out the seating with kiddos and dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindPass
No 'shudder' at 5,000 miles with a Long Range Plus X.
However there is more drivetrain Noise Vibration Harshness than most other EVs.
True freeway range is perhaps 270 miles at 75 with hills and winds.
I'm happy with the purchase.
That drivetrain “Noise Vibration Harshness” IS the shudder. An EV drivetrain should have none of those since there are no reciprocating parts to create NVH.

Now that Tesla has dropped free supercharging on new Xs, and GM is partnering with EVGo, I’m probably switching to a Cadillac Lyriq when it’s time to trade.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just completed a 4,500 mile road trip to Wyoming and back and I can’t imagine taking another trip in anything but a LR Model X. Interstate driving gets you 320+ miles between charging (better than my wife’s M3). I drove between 400-500 miles each day with a stop for lunch & charging after 4 or so hours of driving. Autopilot and air ride suspension ensures the driver (me!) is less fatigued and stressed at the end of each day.
You must have a light foot...Even our Raven SR (75kWh) has trouble staying below 350wh/mi at more regular highway speeds out west..

Reactions: MXLRplus