Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MY haters on the highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real question is how many times have we done those things ourselves when driving ICE vehicles?

My commute used to be 40 miles in each direction and I'd go to the left lane and stay there with (non-adaptive) cruise on. I used to find it annoying when I'd get stuck behind someone, especially if they had room to move over and didn't. Now before you start flaming me, I used to look backwards almost as much as I looked forwards and if I saw someone come up behind me, I'd gladly pull over, and let them pass, then resume my position. And I took the left lane because it was pretty much the most unobstructed part of the road where I could get the most out of my cruise

As for slowing down when people come up behind you, it's just a recipe for road rage and if you don't suffer the consequences of it, some other poor b@st@rd may well have to. Having said that I had to take defensive driving once and I couldn't believe it when they actually said the best way to deal with a tailgater was to "gently press on the brake pedal". What do they expect the result of doing that to be?

As best I can tell, I don't drive any different now than when I had ICE cars. The only thing I can think that is a little different is how soon I slow down for traffic signals and the like. Because say my Outback did not have regenerative braking, I'd ease off the pedal sooner than I need to now. But then as now, I avoid using the brake if possible. Other than that I can't think of any difference in my techniques

Having said that I had to take defensive driving once and I couldn't believe it when they actually said the best way to deal with a tailgater was to "gently press on the brake pedal". What do they expect the result of doing that to be?

It provides a resolution to the situation, in two ways:

- you both slow down so the danger factor related to speed is getting reduced
- the tailgating dumbass gets angry and passes you - becomes someone else's problem (by someone else I mean another person or a tree or a ditch or a wall... either one works :) )

- the tailgating dumbass gets angry and passes you - becomes someone else's problem (by someone else I mean another person or a tree or a ditch or a wall... either one works :) )
If I slow down but they don't, the relative speed between us increases and it can become more dangerous. What if the speeding car behind you was driven by a drunk or distracted driver? It would not make sense for encouraging them to pass. If there is a lane for them to pass, why not you move over yourself to let them go and avoid confrontation?

My first choice would be moving out of their way - merge right immediately if there is space, or accelerate slightly to find the next space on the right to merge. I think this will send a signal to the tail gaters "OK, I know what you want and I'm trying" so that they will not pick me as a target.

Reactions: jpfive

three ways:

- you just make the tailgater so mad that he shoots you

Reactions: MSHampton
It should go without saying that the slowing down scenario makes sense only when there is no room to move over. Of course I don't want to mess with these idiots, if there is room, I always move over. I'm talking about when there's a lot of traffic and no room to move over at the current speed. If I need to slow down to move over, it defeats the whole purpose of not messing with them, if I need to accelerate to move over, then no, I won't choose to go even higher over the limit just to make room for an idiot.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
The last couple of days the left lane was cycling from 68-85. When I finally got closer to the front of the pack I could see that there was empty freeway and one car at the head who would speed up if a car in the #2 lane threatened to get in front of him then would slow down when the car was blocked by traffic ahead in that lane.
Still plenty of empty freeway in the #1 lane that no one could get to.

OK, so I don't think I drive that differently from when I had an ICE car to now. But as people start returning to the morning and evening commute, I've had more aggressive behavior from other drivers than at any time I can recall before the pandemic. If I'm AP'ing in the HOV lane at 80, or merging into traffic, it's like ICE drivers specifically want to tailgate or cut me off for driving a Tesla! Maybe I'm just not used to the growing traffic. But I've noticed it happening to other Teslas on the highway. I was even thinking maybe I'm accidentally cutting off drivers when I merge into their lane because I'm not used to the distance to the rear car relative to the higher hatch trunk of the MY (the window is small compared to my previous car). Anybody else have these experiences lately with the road rage Tesla haters?

Sadly, in many cases it's a political statement. Because somehow everything is these days. Exhaust spewing ICE's are somehow "more American" to some than an EV. Reality is some people are just scared of change and haven't educated themselves enough to see how that change can benefit them.

Don't have much to add, but both my wife and I have experienced coal rolling and aggressive pickups in our 3/Y pre-pandemic. Once it was even predictable "watch, this guy is going to coal roll"... (Texas).

I did notice more anti-social driving behavior this summer but chalked that up to general increased frustration and unhappiness vs. anti Tesla/EV.

Some of Those big diesel trucks are super fast for being so monstrous and heavy .. kinda wish I’d get one to try to roll up me like that. This car would absolutely leave him off the horizon in the rear view lol. kinda fun to surprise the hell out of people who haven’t driven 1

Reactions: rjpjnk
Some of Those big diesel trucks are super fast for being so monstrous and heavy .. kinda wish I’d get one to try to roll up me like that. This car would absolutely leave him off the horizon in the rear view lol

We don't really react. My wife said that she waived at a coal roller once. Funny because she will get made and flip off someone for cutting her off but she thinks coal rollers are man babies.

We once had a lifted truck turn and drive the wrong way, we backed up and moved over but that wasn't good enough and he had us going the wrong way too. I am certain they only did that because they were in a big truck w friends and we where in a small 3. He had to prove who was "the bigger man" (baby).

I had the perception that some early Tesla owners were snobbish before the M3 and MY turned Tesla into more of a mainstream car. I meet some very nice people at Superchargers and they certainly don't act as if they're superior.

Re: Tesla Hate. Yes, I've noticed a fair amount of aggressive behavior that may or may not be targeting me as a Tesla owner. I never saw that when I drove my previous EV– an all-electric Honda Clarity. But that was also pre-pandemic.

I go out of my way to be a courteous driver... I slow to let people merge. I don't tailgate. I don't let autopilot execute lane changes when the spacing feels too tight. Hopefully this helps people realize that many Tesla owners are actually nice.

And do you know what else might help ICE drivers become less resentful? MOUNT YOUR FRIGGIN' FRONT LICENSE PLATE!
Yes, I feel early on owners were meeting at the wine rooms snacking on a $25.00 burger. Now I see Model 3's and MY's at car shows. Yes, times have changed.
wtf is wrong with people?
The lack of accountability. The saying today is the criminals are back out on the street before the police man finishes his shift. Low bond no bond, how's that working out?

• Disagree
Reactions: Johnny Vector
The lack of accountability. The saying today is the criminals are back out on the street before the police man finishes his shift. Low bond no bond, how's that working out?
Somehow I doubt that too many folks arrested and benefiting from "low bond, no bond" polices are also the ones driving diesel bro-dozers and rolling coal on EVs and bike riders. Maybe they should be arrested for that behavior, but I don't think too many are.