Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MY haters on the highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I don't think I drive that differently from when I had an ICE car to now. But as people start returning to the morning and evening commute, I've had more aggressive behavior from other drivers than at any time I can recall before the pandemic. If I'm AP'ing in the HOV lane at 80, or merging into traffic, it's like ICE drivers specifically want to tailgate or cut me off for driving a Tesla! Maybe I'm just not used to the growing traffic. But I've noticed it happening to other Teslas on the highway. I was even thinking maybe I'm accidentally cutting off drivers when I merge into their lane because I'm not used to the distance to the rear car relative to the higher hatch trunk of the MY (the window is small compared to my previous car). Anybody else have these experiences lately with the road rage Tesla haters?

You might be right but also maybe not. While my S LR (August delivery they say) and CT are on order, I'm still driving my Mazda. Many times another driver has been rude and I've thought I might believe it was because I was driving a Tesla if I were, but I'm not.

Reactions: gavine
Here in Houston, it seems that once the pandemic started, police weren't pulling over as many cars. Makes sense. But now, the number of people driving like idiots with no fear of getting pulled over has skyrocketed. Perhaps that's what you're noticing.

I think this is it. I went into work every other week or so during the pandemic and the idiots were out in force. Cause? Probably lack of police and so many fewer cars on the road. Now that most every one is going back, they have it ingrained to drive like that and can't deal with the fact that they are not the only ones on the road.

I think this is it. I went into work every other week or so during the pandemic and the idiots were out in force. Cause? Probably lack of police and so many fewer cars on the road. Now that most every one is going back, they have it ingrained to drive like that and can't deal with the fact that they are not the only ones on the road.
Agreed. 695 around Baltimore was always bad and locals drove 20mph above speed limit forever. During pandemic 695 became a race track for some and you see more and more driving 30-40 above speed limit. And with resent events in the country I don’t see police enforcing the speed limit at all.
Another thing I noticed since getting MY that people will definitely sit on my bumper more trying to force me of the left lane regardless of the speed I drive. That was not the story when I drove my truck. I guess they don’t believe that MY can drive fast ;)

Here in Houston, it seems that once the pandemic started, police weren't pulling over as many cars. Makes sense. But now, the number of people driving like idiots with no fear of getting pulled over has skyrocketed. Perhaps that's what you're noticing.
It could be that AP drives differently. It’s not the most courteous and it brakes or regen brakes rather then coasting like an ICE. Or you could be on to something because somehow this happened Fewer cars were on the roads in 2020, yet more pedestrians were killed. Why?

Once and a while I will have a jacked up diesel truck pull in front of my Red Model S and spew smoke out their tail pipes.
I live in rural Wisconsin, and I have had this exact same thing happen to me several times. They'll be passing me on the highway, get their 6" tailpipe right about even with my side mirror, slow down to match my speed for a couple seconds, and then just floor it and dump tons of smoke at me. No question that it is completely intentional.

I live in rural Wisconsin, and I have had this exact same thing happen to me several times. They'll be passing me on the highway, get their 6" tailpipe right about even with my side mirror, slow down to match my speed for a couple seconds, and then just floor it and dump tons of smoke at me. No question that it is completely intentional.
can't you save the footage of that incident and report them for road rage? At the very least to your state DMV for violating pollution requirements?

I see idiots in cars and trucks do stupid stuff. I've had people cut in front of my pickup and intentionally slow down. Hang out right at my quarter panel or trailer and match my speed so I can't pass a semi. I speed up they speed up. I slow down they slow down. On I 75 in Georgia I was in the middle lane and a semi was in the right lane and at the same time I was passing the semi to my right a semi was passing me to my left I had a car right on my trailer flashing his high beams at me in daylight. I pass the semi on my right. This jackhole in a small car passes me almost hits the semi to my right. I go a couple of miles down the road and Georgia patrol had this jackhole pulled over.

Another thing I noticed since getting MY that people will definitely sit on my bumper more trying to force me of the left lane regardless of the speed I drive. That was not the story when I drove my truck. I guess they don’t believe that MY can drive fast

This is incredibly annoying, especially when there's traffic and there's literally no room to move over. Sometimes when I feel like messing with these knuckleheads, as soon as they start riding my bumper, I very slowly start reducing my speed...

This is incredibly annoying, especially when there's traffic and there's literally no room to move over. Sometimes when I feel like messing with these knuckleheads, as soon as they start riding my bumper, I very slowly start reducing my speed...
I usually try not to sit in left lane and move over, but if there is no way to move and other lanes slower then I am plus there are cars in front and I get an idiot behind me I drop to speed limit.

OK, so I don't think I drive that differently from when I had an ICE car to now. But as people start returning to the morning and evening commute, I've had more aggressive behavior from other drivers than at any time I can recall before the pandemic. If I'm AP'ing in the HOV lane at 80, or merging into traffic, it's like ICE drivers specifically want to tailgate or cut me off for driving a Tesla! Maybe I'm just not used to the growing traffic. But I've noticed it happening to other Teslas on the highway. I was even thinking maybe I'm accidentally cutting off drivers when I merge into their lane because I'm not used to the distance to the rear car relative to the higher hatch trunk of the MY (the window is small compared to my previous car). Anybody else have these experiences lately with the road rage Tesla haters?

Hey,

I've worked the entire time this "pandemic" has been going. Commuting 25 miles each way. I really enjoyed being the only car on the highyway/interstate and just flying down the road. As more people come out back into the wild, with their already poor driving skills and etiquette, being very rusty at driving, they are doing really aggressive things. I think it's more of a Hanlon's razor effect. I was driving a 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, which I just sold for a MY that I am waiting for, and a large SUV. I have definitely noticed what I would normally think is aggressive behavior, and can only attribute it to incompetence, lack of recent experience, and stupidity. I feel like the uptick of accidents, serious ones, is palpable. I do not enjoy driving in heavy traffic because someone thinks they're driving in Grand Theft Auto every few miles making a mess.

Also, the people on their phones. Please get off your damn phone, or get in the right lane, or take a slower road, or go park. Sitting at traffic lights for wayyyy longer than usual because people are playing on their phones.

/rantoff

Since owning a Tesla and always trying to best my previous range, I always do the speed limit or a few miles under but I always stay in the middle or right lane and only use the left for passing.

That might work in Florida, but you'll likely get plowed over here in Houston going a few miles under the speed limit on the city freeways. That's extremely dangerous around here with everyone doing 20 over and them trying to get around slowpokes at the last second.

It could be that AP drives differently. It’s not the most courteous and it brakes or regen brakes rather then coasting like an ICE. Or you could be on to something because somehow this happened Fewer cars were on the roads in 2020, yet more pedestrians were killed. Why?
I was wondering about that, but have always drop out of AP when traffic starts to get congested so it's not like I'm phantom breaking and they have to break suddenly. The ones that drive me crazy are the cars that feel like you cut them off, they zoom around you and try to slice off your front end cutting you off in response. If they aren't hugging your rear bumper and paying attention to the road, even the phantom breaking shouldn't freak out other cars following an MY.