Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MY haters on the highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is incredibly annoying, especially when there's traffic and there's literally no room to move over. Sometimes when I feel like messing with these knuckleheads, as soon as they start riding my bumper, I very slowly start reducing my speed...
I love sailing past the traffic in the HOV lane - it's now a Tesla express lane out here. Tapping on the brakes used to be my ICE way of dealing with tailgaters but with MY, I actually care about not getting into a fender bender 🤣. gotta try the slowly reducing speed trick!

I love sailing past the traffic in the HOV lane - it's now a Tesla express lane out here. Tapping on the brakes used to be my ICE way of dealing with tailgaters but with MY, I actually care about not getting into a fender bender 🤣. gotta try the slowly reducing speed trick!
MD has 2 HOV roads I even got HOV sticker with registration.
Problem is I don’t know where those roads are 😲
Live in MD for the past 20 years haha

Agreed. 695 around Baltimore was always bad and locals drove 20mph above speed limit forever. During pandemic 695 became a race track for some and you see more and more driving 30-40 above speed limit. And with resent events in the country I don’t see police enforcing the speed limit at all.
Another thing I noticed since getting MY that people will definitely sit on my bumper more trying to force me of the left lane regardless of the speed I drive. That was not the story when I drove my truck. I guess they don’t believe that MY can drive fast ;)
No matter how fast you are driving you should not be in the left lane unless you are overtaking a vehicle in the adjacent lane.

I think in these parts it seems drivers have returned from the pandemic more angry and aggressive. I see tighter tailgating regardless of whether in the MY or my wife's A220, so I don't think it necessarily an EV-hate thing. At least not what I have experienced here. Also, perhaps drivers got used to open roads during the pandemic and now resent the higher traffic and delays? Just a theory...

Plenty of drivers in the San Francisco Bay area apparently haven’t been on the roads for nearly a year and have forgotten how to drive. An oblivious guy was in the fast lane going 57 up the incline of the San Mateo bridge with a huge line of vehicles behind him.

But yeah, BMW and Porsche SUVs and muscle cars are always playing cat and mouse with my MY — usually by trying to block me from passing them.

Once and a while I will have a jacked up diesel truck pull in front of my Red Model S and spew smoke out their tail pipes.
and that is when I hit the record clip button to send to the DMV along with their license plate. Some Dmv care and some don't. Sometimes they check the vehicle for proper registration and smog cert and sometimes they don't. At least according to my niece that works there.

Last edited:
Agreed. 695 around Baltimore was always bad and locals drove 20mph above speed limit forever. During pandemic 695 became a race track for some and you see more and more driving 30-40 above speed limit. And with resent events in the country I don’t see police enforcing the speed limit at all.
Another thing I noticed since getting MY that people will definitely sit on my bumper more trying to force me of the left lane regardless of the speed I drive. That was not the story when I drove my truck. I guess they don’t believe that MY can drive fast ;)
Maybe not. I thought vehicles behind me were super close the first few months I had my MY. I started tuning on the rear camera and found they were a lot further back than they appeared through the mirror / slit rear window. Try it and count the number of white stripes they are behind you. You might be more comfortable.

Reactions: mrwug
In this crazy world we live in "brake checking" is an invitation to road rage. Just allow the tailgaters to pass.

Here in CA, the law is "slower traffic move right". If someone is coming up on your tail, you are obliged to move over, though I've never seen anyone ticketed for blocking the flow of traffic. Personally, I drive in the right lane with the semis, where I get there just about as fast but also where I feel safer. I am very concerned with all the idiots with gun driving around shooting anyone who they think is in their way. It's not about going fast, but about watching your rear view and moving right, and living longer. Of course, I sometimes jump into the diamond lane and go 90, but not for very long. Makes my wifey nervous, and you know, a happy wife makes a happy life.

Reactions: Redekw and Gadget63
Here in CA, the law is "slower traffic move right". If someone is coming up on your tail, you are obliged to move over, though I've never seen anyone ticketed for blocking the flow of traffic. Personally, I drive in the right lane with the semis, where I get there just about as fast but also where I feel safer. I am very concerned with all the idiots with gun driving around shooting anyone who they think is in their way. It's not about going fast, but about watching your rear view and moving right, and living longer. Of course, I sometimes jump into the diamond lane and go 90, but not for very long. Makes my wifey nervous, and you know, a happy wife makes a happy life.
Here in Florida we have a slowpoke law that states no matter the speed you're going (even if over the speed limit), if traffic is building up behind you, move to the right. I myself stay in the middle or right lane, and just do the speed limit because as a retiree, where am I going that I need to get there fast? I also like getting the EPA rated mileage range

Here in Florida we have a slowpoke law that states no matter the speed you're going (even if over the speed limit), if traffic is building up behind you, move to the right. I myself stay in the middle or right lane, and just do the speed limit because as a retiree, where am I going that I need to get there fast? I also like getting the EPA rated mileage range
Similar (not retired yet, but I tend to stay to the right unless passing). There are quite a few highways (Hey, 6-lane portion of the Maine Turnpike, how ya doin?) where I swear staying in the right lane is faster. I guess people don't want to deal with merging traffic every 20 miles? Or they just assume the right lane is the slow lane so they stay out of it? But in any case, it's usually less crowded than the other two lanes. Every few miles you catch up with a person doing well under the limit, so you wait for an opening, move over, pass, move back when safe, and it's smooth sailing again. Still get there quicker than the people in the middle lane. Weird.

I stay right as much as possible but not behind trucks...limited visibility plus they always seem to find rocks to kick up.

Reactions: Gadget63