Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MY haters on the highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you to everyone for the viewpoints - all great ones! I think there are two issues to separate here. One issue is how fast you should be driving in the left-most lane when it is an HOV-designated lane (not the "fast lane" on other highways). The other issue is whether or not MYs and other Teslas get extra A-hole attention for being non-ICE vehicles that are, of course, the coolest machines on the road.

Driving in the HOV lane is a privilege and naturally separates cars in that lane from the rest of traffic. But when you're already going 70-80 mph and feeling tailgated, while the rest of traffic to the right is congested, that's just not cool. A big appeal to getting an electric car in AZ is the HOV access lane during rush hour. And for those of us who commute everyday, it saves a lot of time and aggravation. It's the tailgaters and reckless drivers that make things difficult and unpleasant. I couldn't agree more that if you're in the "fast lane" and slower than the traffic in that lane, you should move to the right. Just not the HOV lane.

What surprises me is the extent of swerving around my MY when I'm not in the HOV lane. And again, I am not sure if it's because I can't see as well out the rear view hatch or there are just more A-holes on the road right now. I'm usually in the center lane if not in HOV - wouldn't want to follow trucks in this state, it's one of the top for windshield cracks due to rocks flying up from the tires of trucks.

I guess we'll just have to see if things improve as things get more back to normal during the commute...

I had the perception that some early Tesla owners were snobbish before the M3 and MY turned Tesla into more of a mainstream car. I meet some very nice people at Superchargers and they certainly don't act as if they're superior.

Re: Tesla Hate. Yes, I've noticed a fair amount of aggressive behavior that may or may not be targeting me as a Tesla owner. I never saw that when I drove my previous EV– an all-electric Honda Clarity. But that was also pre-pandemic.

I go out of my way to be a courteous driver... I slow to let people merge. I don't tailgate. I don't let autopilot execute lane changes when the spacing feels too tight. Hopefully this helps people realize that many Tesla owners are actually nice.

And do you know what else might help ICE drivers become less resentful? MOUNT YOUR FRIGGIN' FRONT LICENSE PLATE!

Hopefully they lock-up this hater for a long time.

I find using autopilot in the left (fast) lane to be not so great because no matter how fast I'm going some asshat always gets up my ass and wants to go faster. I try to go maybe 70-80MPH tops, anything more then that I'm worried about getting a ticket and feel like it's kind of nuts to go so fast on AP.

I have not seen any different behavior either. Same aggressive and inattentive driving I would see in my previous car or when driving my wife's car. It does seem that since the pandemic that tailgating and lane weaving has increased. And I am one to keep right except when passing and ride a few miles above the speed limit but not enough to draw tickets.

Being a motorcycle rider, I am very attuned to drivers who are inattentive (ir under the influence) and wander from their lanes. Inattentive driving and lane wandering continues to worsen.

I find using autopilot in the left (fast) lane to be not so great because no matter how fast I'm going some asshat always gets up my ass and wants to go faster. I try to go maybe 70-80MPH tops, anything more then that I'm worried about getting a ticket and feel like it's kind of nuts to go so fast on AP.

I don't let this stop me using AP in fast lane, but I should point out that I am talking FSD here. When somebody gets aggressively on my tail while I am passing I just roll the right thumbwheel up and increase speed to get out of their way. Having this in my toolbox actually encourages me to use the AP. An immediate auto change back to the right lane after my pass frees the passing lane for the guy on my tail as I roll the thumbwheel back down. Then we are both back on our merry way - with no road rage.

Reactions: cancoi
This is incredibly annoying, especially when there's traffic and there's literally no room to move over. Sometimes when I feel like messing with these knuckleheads, as soon as they start riding my bumper, I very slowly start reducing my speed...

Please don't do this. It might feel righteous - even justified - but it also generates road rage. Even if you think you're prepared to follow that to its ultimate conclusion remember that you endanger others as well. End of sermon. Cheers.

I have not seen any different behavior either. Same aggressive and inattentive driving I would see in my previous car or when driving my wife's car. It does seem that since the pandemic that tailgating and lane weaving has increased. And I am one to keep right except when passing and ride a few miles above the speed limit but not enough to draw tickets.

Being a motorcycle rider, I am very attuned to drivers who are inattentive (ir under the influence) and wander from their lanes. Inattentive driving and lane wandering continues to worsen.
Agree that it seems worse since the pandemic. Don't ride a motorcycle anymore. Spouse requires that I keep the license up* but forbids getting the machine

* No one but no one in NJ had a legit license when I got mine and you needed a licensed (motorcycle) driver to go to the test. I actually put my Honda in the trunk of her '66 Chevelle and left it there until my test to prove to the inspector that I really did bring it here legally. She still remembers that.

I think a lot of it is confirmation bias. I see a lot of posts on here and reddit about people treating them different (tailgating, cutting off, etc) because they're in a Tesla. I think because of that, people tend to be on the lookout for it happening, and now see it more often, and it's then interpreted as being because they drive a Tesla, confirming their bias that ICE drivers are jealous/hate/whatever Tesla drivers. Then again, I live in So Cal, where everyone drives like an asshole.

JMHO

I unfortunately have witnessed electric car haters, several times.
Coal rolled twice, I just don't understand what makes them think it effects me, my windows are up, I smelled nothing.
The worst was a road rage idiot that literally threw a water bottle at me, luckily it hit my passenger rear window, caused no damage. He came up again next to me flipped me off and with AP on I made the "motion picture" charades with my hands, he took the next exit. My repeater cam showed the entire thing, license plate, his ugly mug, but with no damage, I didn't report it.
Y Hater pic.jpg

I unfortunately have witnessed electric car haters, several times.
Coal rolled twice, I just don't understand what makes them think it effects me, my windows are up, I smelled nothing.
The worst was a road rage idiot that literally threw a water bottle at me, luckily it hit my passenger rear window, caused no damage. He came up again next to me flipped me off and with AP on I made the "motion picture" charades with my hands, he took the next exit. My repeater cam showed the entire thing, license plate, his ugly mug, but with no damage, I didn't report it.
View attachment 683033
You really should have reported it. The next person he does this to (and he will do it again) may not be so lucky.

Since the choice of color from Tesla is limited to 5 currently, could some of this be the result of some other Tesla driver with the same model and color as your vehicle doing something to piss off another driver? And then when that driver sees the same make and color Tesla, just assumes it is the same car as before? Just saying, how many MY out there, and only 5 colors? So unless yours is a different color because of a wrap or a respray, how would anybody know it is not the same car as before if they never caught the license plate or seen the person driving it? Just a thought...

Since the choice of color from Tesla is limited to 5 currently, could some of this be the result of some other Tesla driver with the same model and color as your vehicle doing something to piss off another driver? And then when that driver sees the same make and color Tesla, just assumes it is the same car as before? Just saying, how many MY out there, and only 5 colors? So unless yours is a different color because of a wrap or a respray, how would anybody know it is not the same car as before if they never caught the license plate or seen the person driving it? Just a thought...
I don't believe this would be a major reason. Have you heard someone thinking all black birds are the exact same crow they have seen?

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I feel sometimes the differences in acceleration and deceleration patterns between an EV and an ICE are contributing factors to piss off someone. For example, at a long downhill road, ICE vehicles usually coast to a faster speed, brake a bit, and then coast again. But EVs can hold a steady speed because of regen. So for ICE drivers following an EV they may find it annoying to have to ride on their brakes all the way.