Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MY Parking Cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what other Tesla MY and other vehicle (they're all the same in this respect) think of lack of 360 degree parking cameras on the Tesla.

I'm a bit of a spasm when it comes to protecting my cars from parking lot dings. I always try to park further from other cars. Have a 360 degree view of the car in my 2016 Infiniti and can usually place it within 4 inches from a curb, when parking at the end of a lot. With Tesla MY, I cannot for the life of me gauge accurately where the wheels are. Knowing that MY 20" wheels are prone to curb rash, I tend to end up a foot or more from a curb.

What do you all think about Teslas that are supposed to be cutting edge tech cars lacking basic parking cameras that were available from mid 2010s? Would it have killed the profit margins if there were 3 more down-facing cameras added to the car?

One thing you can do to improve visibility while parking is to back into the parking space. You can also set the mirrors so that they automatically tilt down when driving in reverse. This helps to judge the distance from the parking space lines or the side curb. It is not a substitute for a 360 camera view but it helps.

Well maybe the blind spots are bigger, but my Bolt definitely has blind spots at the corners and its birds-eye view is still super helpful. One of a few things that the win goes in the Bolt column.

The Bolt has cameras under the mirrors, it has a better view between the front and the side cameras of the ground around it. The Tesla cameras are all pointing back, there is a large blind spot around the front fender of the vehicles.

I believe this is also going to force Tesla to reposition the cameras at some point for full autonomous driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
What I meant was use a combination of the cameras, ultrasonics and radar to visualize a 360 view. It doesn't have to be the actual video like most other cars have but similar to to the animated drive screen.
i can see how the car could animate a 360 view based on whatever the camera can see, and whatever it couldn't it could just 'fill it in' that could possibly work

Reactions: BigNerd
I would think that Tesla would have to add 3 more down-pointing cameras to make this happen. That is what I have in my Infiniti. In addition to the camera in the back, one down-facing camera on each mirror and one just above the grill.

The existing autopilot cameras are not pointing in the right direction for parking assist with the exception of the rear camera.

Tesla, pls. make this happen :)

See the Infiniti Q50 360 system (front and side views in the garage; the right view has a line projected at 6" from the wheels). Makes parking next to a curb, poll or a wall a breeze:
IMG_E8874.JPG

I wonder what other Tesla MY and other vehicle (they're all the same in this respect) think of lack of 360 degree parking cameras on the Tesla.

I'm a bit of a spasm when it comes to protecting my cars from parking lot dings. I always try to park further from other cars. Have a 360 degree view of the car in my 2016 Infiniti and can usually place it within 4 inches from a curb, when parking at the end of a lot. With Tesla MY, I cannot for the life of me gauge accurately where the wheels are. Knowing that MY 20" wheels are prone to curb rash, I tend to end up a foot or more from a curb.

What do you all think about Teslas that are supposed to be cutting edge tech cars lacking basic parking cameras that were available from mid 2010s? Would it have killed the profit margins if there were 3 more down-facing cameras added to the car?

Try backing into the space. The bendy lines on the rear view camera give an excellent guide of where the vehicle will end up, plus the rear-facing side cameras will give you a great view of where the wheels are in relation to the curb. The mirrors also tip down in reverse giving your additional visibility without having to rely on the cameras.

FSD will probably back into parking spaces since, as I mentioned a few posts ago, camera coverage of the ground is excellent in that direction. The front camera coverage is sufficient for pulling out of parking spaces. Maneuverability is also better in a back-in, pull-out parking arrangement.

One wonders if the lack of 360 view is a result of Tesla refusing to release features that don't work up to their standard or vision, even if totally functional. Many if not most of the 360 views different cars currently have don't look great (though I don't have a TON of experience with these), but they work.

I think this would be one of those cases where the community would take something that obviously needs improvement if it means some short term benefit. I was at a somewhat crowded and small supercharer the other day and couldn't help but notice everyone struggling to maneuver their cars to back into the spot.

Try backing into the space. The bendy lines on the rear view camera give an excellent guide of where the vehicle will end up, plus the rear-facing side cameras will give you a great view of where the wheels are in relation to the curb. The mirrors also tip down in reverse giving your additional visibility without having to rely on the cameras.
Right, backing in is easier as you noted. This is how my 16-year old tends to park his Hyundai Sonata. But I advised him against parking backwards because the back bumper and the rear end of the car are more reinforced than the front. If someone hits the front of the car in a parking lot, there will likely be more damage.

I really would love to move some of the tech from my 2016 infiniti to the MY, while keeping other things I love. Almost need a modular car architecture, sort of like ubiquitous USB PC peripherals. :) Then one can park any way he wants to.