Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla nabs OpenAI's Andrej Karpathy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Lattner is out... Maybe this is because AP2 isn't going as planned.

The new guy seems like a much better fit.

And the new guy has been working with Musk a while at OpenAI so Elon must get along with him well.

So it's possible that Lattner didn't gel which is surprising because I heard Elon is super easy to work with. ;)

It seems to make sense to put a leading computer vision guy in charge of a leading computer vision project. As smart as Lattner is, the hardcore bleeding edge of computer vision and driving AI must be out of his comfort zone, given his background.

The downside for us is that, on complex software projects like Autopilot, you don't just change the guy in charge then see magical results a week later.

Andrej must be bursting at the seams with ideas for this - it sounds like his dream project. But, it'll still be a few months down the line before we start to see any of his touches in the software, at least. I'm looking forward to what he can bring - seems like he's exactly the right guy to give AP that leap forward and inspire the rest of the team.

All the best to Chris - I'm sure he did a great job whilst at Tesla, and will be snapped up quickly!

• Funny
Reactions: Waiting4M3 and cdub