TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla nabs OpenAI's Andrej Karpathy

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by ZeApelido, Jun 20, 2017.

1. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Member

• Informative x 1
  2. HookBill

HookBill Member

I wouldn't be happy either if my pre-release experience was a positive one only to find out that the customers were not experiencing the same joy. I guess Elon can join the many others who are frustrated by late releases and subpar performance. I just hope they can figure all this out.

• Like x 3
  3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah, sounds like a good fit for the role. Wish him and the team the best. And wish Chris the best in finding a better match.

• Like x 1
  4. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

And Lattner is out... Maybe this is because AP2 isn't going as planned.

The new guy seems like a much better fit.

And the new guy has been working with Musk a while at OpenAI so Elon must get along with him well.

So it's possible that Lattner didn't gel which is surprising because I heard Elon is super easy to work with. ;)

• Funny x 2
  5. mrkisskiss

mrkisskiss Member

It seems to make sense to put a leading computer vision guy in charge of a leading computer vision project. As smart as Lattner is, the hardcore bleeding edge of computer vision and driving AI must be out of his comfort zone, given his background.

The downside for us is that, on complex software projects like Autopilot, you don't just change the guy in charge then see magical results a week later.

Andrej must be bursting at the seams with ideas for this - it sounds like his dream project. But, it'll still be a few months down the line before we start to see any of his touches in the software, at least. I'm looking forward to what he can bring - seems like he's exactly the right guy to give AP that leap forward and inspire the rest of the team.

All the best to Chris - I'm sure he did a great job whilst at Tesla, and will be snapped up quickly!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

You're kidding about him doing a great job right? The AP2 SW is pretty far from a great job IMO