Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Nav and road closures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past few days my car has routed me on roads closed by flooding.
All my other mapping systems have these roads as closed.
Seems that Tesla either don't get the information or they don't use it.
Makes me wonder how good the traffic touting can be.
M3 SR+ so I can't see the traffic.

Makes me wonder how good the traffic touting can be.

I've had SatNav route me around closed motorway, which Waze (wrongly) said was open ... but usually Waze beats Tesla Traffic hands down IME.

But in the past Waze has routed me long-way-around-M25, to afford QE2 Dartford Crossing chaos ... but of course the impact on range, in an EV, can be a snag with just blindly following turn-by-turn.

So I use both Waze and SatNav, normally with SatNav voice on Mute just to have The Big Map ... and then take a decision based on whatever data they offer me. Its better than the old days where only option then was to balance a map on my map and listen to Traffic Reports on Radio 2 !! but having Waze on Phone in an expensive car is a bit nuts ...

Actually I was surprised how pertinent the road info was, in some cases, traffic info always very pessimistic, often showing yellow in free flowing areas, but then, these things are often stale by 15 minutes.

Last weekend we were on south coast and quite a few roads closed due to downed trees. On way home, we put home in as destination (actually it was probably liphook supercharger as we had enough to get home, but you cant tell it that I can see to say I want to arrive at destination with xx% charge) but it wanted to route us a long way home. So thinking we knew best, we went the way that we normally would do. Within a few miles, ROAD CLOSED. So we concluded sat nav knew better but still ignored it, following road signs through places we thought we needed to go through. What a torturous route, one road leading up to Liphook in particular (thanks ABRP for bum steer) was passing places at times and not for 20" wheels or when dark.

In hindsight, should have followed sat nav from start. Then, when we did decide to go off piste, should still have followed sat nav.

But sat nav could be loads better.

when we did decide to go off piste, should still have followed sat nav

I did that when I first started using Waze. Was very tight for time going to theatre in London. Just coming towards Embankment Waze was showing 3-sides-of-a-square route, I thought that was nuts so went straight on, arrival time immediately jumped by 10 minutes ... and sure enough, we sat getting on to Embankment for ... 10 minutes. I've done as I am told since then!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.