Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a Model 3 SR+. Can people from Toronto please share their experiences with Tesla Nav vs Waze? It really concerns me that the SR+ maps don't show live traffic data (I like to be able to see it because sometimes I will take alternate routes based on the red and yellow lines I see on the maps).

I generally drive from Wexford area in Scarborough to downtown Toronto and back. Now that the Don Valley Parkway has construction between Lawrence and Don Mills (4 bridges being fixed till the end of Oct!), waze has often been telling me to take O'Connor and go more through the city... I'd like to hear peoples experiences with them in the city!

In my experience TeslaNav is slightly more aggressive than google maps in its level of detour taking but just barely. While waze is much more aggressive in routing. The Tesla navigation works well for me and I always use the nav just in case some unexpected traffic comes up, it's funny as I'll sometimes see a bunch of Teslas if there's a serious problem as everyone is being diverted around.

I take the QEW/Gardiner from Oakville to downtown and the Nav will take me on detours on Winston Churchill (only if traffic in Mississauga is really bad), Southdown (often), Lakeshore (often), and just yesterday Park Lawn for the first time.

On the other hand I have to ignore its suggestions in the morning when I drive to Mississauga as it doesn't factor in the time savings of HOV lane on the 403 through Mississauga and will suggest I take the QEW instead and drive up through any number of streets quite often if traffic is bad on the 403. But other than that it's pretty good.

Edit: Also there's a Canada sub-forum where you might want to post this. A lot of people from Toronto there that can chime in.

Reactions: McCaesar
TeslaNav has pretty accurate traffic info usually. Routing changes are quite aggressive but I'm not sure it really saves any real amount of time. E.g. It took me through local streets from 401 to 404 coming from Yorkdale. Biggest weakness is: it greatly underestimates left turn times. E.g. It tends to tell me to take Major Mac westbound to left turn at Leslie southbound at morning rush hour but I have to ignore it and use 404 south instead.

Don't have much experience with Waze though.

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a Model 3 SR+. Can people from Toronto please share their experiences with Tesla Nav vs Waze? It really concerns me that the SR+ maps don't show live traffic data (I like to be able to see it because sometimes I will take alternate routes based on the red and yellow lines I see on the maps).

I generally drive from Wexford area in Scarborough to downtown Toronto and back. Now that the Don Valley Parkway has construction between Lawrence and Don Mills (4 bridges being fixed till the end of Oct!), waze has often been telling me to take O'Connor and go more through the city... I'd like to hear peoples experiences with them in the city!

Fastest way out of downtown at rush hour is EAST along Gerrard / Dundas > Kingston Rd/St.Clair East. With the instant torque off the line, you'll be ahead of the ICE lagers at every light. Just don't speed too much ;)

TeslaNav and Waze is pretty much the same for ETA/Routing. Waze has the pothole and police alerts though but I hardly use it anymore.