Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla navigation map is now in grey scale - how do we change this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate these new maps. Grey on grey on grey

I liked that old maps had green for park or orange for commerce area etc. made it easier to know what you will be driving towards.

Now... just a blob of grey with white lines
I’d hate to live in grey Seattle with these maps!

I wish they could have found a better way to be “contemporary” than by using some tired 6 year old monochromatic Restoration Hardware color scheme

What next? The teal brown aqua poo color combo?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I hate these new maps. Grey on grey on grey

I liked that old maps had green for park or orange for commerce area etc. made it easier to know what you will be driving towards.

Now... just a blob of grey with white lines
I’d hate to live in grey Seattle with these maps!

I wish they could have found a better way to be “contemporary” than by using some tired 6 year old monochromatic Restoration Hardware color scheme

What next? The teal brown aqua poo color combo?
I understand what you are saying. But is the "blob of grey with white lines" accurate? In my case most larger roads have color. Maybe just Traffic but sill have a lot of green and some yellow and red. So the larger roads do stand out. Like you I do miss the blue water since I am 1 mile from Pacific Ocean. And the green golf courses as well.

Hmm. I’ll check. I was driving around at 530am so not much traffic.

Also why the grey was so grim. 530 am. Grey day. Grey screen.

Our traffic has been a mess lately. So I’m sure on Monday it will be a blob of grey with dark maroon everywhere

Well, now the circle is complete.

The advent of v8.x gave us severely farkled audio management.

In the twilight of v8.x, now we have severely farkled video management.

No more Navigon tunnel depictions when driving through tunnels, and now no more of those pesky wasteful extra colors.

Just think of it as doing your part to support Tesla’s focus upon belt-tightening.

I hear that with the advent of v9.x, the steering wheel will be optional so that nobody has to either hold it or apply light force thereto. Resulting in fewer instructions needed to tell people how to drive.

Ye/s.

Reactions: mrElbe
I received 2018.24.1 on Elon's birthday and I can confirm the grey scale vector map display as well. It makes traffic info slightly easier to read, but I miss the color for lakes, parks etc. I switched to satellite image for now.

2017 Model S with MCU1, I might add.

Grayscale will load faster than color if that was Tesla's reason to change.

My car map loads super slowly now.

it's a sea of grey, with some green/yellow/red lines where the roads are... and huge blank tiles.
(I live in an area with a ton of parks and lakes)

at least the Steering Wheel console is better.
sigh.

sounds like the Satellite View is the way to go. thanks for suggestion!

I prefer the old color maps.
The new daytime grayscale is acceptable (worse, but acceptable). However, the nighttime grayscale map is horrible. It is gray or gray and makes the entire display looks washed out. The old nighttime maps have more of a blue and gray look to it with dark backgrounds, good contrast, I really missed that one.

Proof Tesla is controlled by aliens.
alien-0132.jpg

This is not 1990s hardware we are talking about. 8-bit grayscale vs. 24-bit color isn't going to matter here.
Processing 24-bit images isn't the issue. Grayscale is much smaller than color so it's probably about bandwidth.

While it may not seem like much, it makes a huge difference when you have two hundred thousand cars constantly downloading stuff over 4G.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Wait a minute... so we are saying that Tesla changed the map colours to save bandwidth? Really?

Unless it is indeed 8 bit grayscale rather than 24bit color then here is no benefit. If that is the case, why don’t we just do 8 bit color instead? The map can do very well with a 256 color pallet.

The last time I contemplated 8 vs 24 bit color was in the late 90’s

I'm torn regarding this update. I greatly prefer the turn-by-turn in the driver's display - I like the way it shows upcoming street names/numbers and highlights your next turn very clearly. But I hate the grey maps. Traffic does pop out more but I've been looking at the Google Maps palette for so long it just looks wrong...

I'm torn regarding this update. I greatly prefer the turn-by-turn in the driver's display - I like the way it shows upcoming street names/numbers and highlights your next turn very clearly. But I hate the grey maps. Traffic does pop out more but I've been looking at the Google Maps palette for so long it just looks wrong...
The new turn by turn on the IC is separate from the color update. I have had the new turn by turn after 2018.12 for months now and only got the new grayscale maps last week with the 2018.24 update.