Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla navigation on a pc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Since I'm new i might missed it.
Is it possible to navigate on a pc like being in a tesla.

I want to plan an holdiday and would like to know my route options using super chargers...

Preferably sitting behind my computer instead of being in my car...

Maybe there's a special google maps setting I haven't heard of?

Thanks!

navigation- Tesla navigation poor safer to use mobile phone with google maps
That is a well known issue here on TMC. Tesla has slowly improved its navigation system slower than their competition, mostly being Waze, Google, Apple, various GPS hardware nav vendors, and other car manufacturers with their own systems, including Leaf, and web sites like evtipplanner.com EV Trip Planner . I myself used a combination of navigation systems (including my in-car nav) before my Tesla, and now, I continue to use those in my Tesla. It's pretty rare that roads on the nav don't match the roads in real life, but it does happen, for every map system I have access to. What I do like about Tesla's nav system is that it is OK at estimating battery use in trips once I get used to the mental offset calculations I have to apply to it. I still have to fall back to EVTripPlanner and EVTO (iPhone/Android/Amazon tesla_to | Digital Auto Guides & Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App ) to plan more detailed trips. I also use Tesla-Waze https://tesla-waze.excelsis.com/ on the in-car browser most of the time now, only switching back to the built in company nav to verify my battery situation as I go along. I use my smartphone (mounted on my dash) for augmentation as needed. Sometimes for simple routes, I'll just let the Tesla built in nav guide me. But, if I'm at all confused, I pull up Google Maps for detail or that plus Waze for driving congestion issues. I also have two backup apps on my iPhone that store all their data in phone memory, so I don't need Internet to know where I'm at or nav (which I often have to use in mountain, camping and desert driving).

It is an area where Tesla could offer vast, vast improvement. Can you believe that when they originally released the car, it wouldn't estimate battery usage? They have been improving it, just not quickly.

The in-car maps get updated about every couple of years; we're noticing about once a year these days. The last big update was first released December 19, 2016 and rolled out over the next couple of weeks. New (sort of) maps!

Supercharger | Tesla

I recommend taking a look at EV Trip Planner

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad