TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Navigation poor in Cape Cod

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Abqnative, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Abqnative

Abqnative Member

i am not sure what it is like in other regions of the US but on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, the built in navigation is not worth using. Proposed Routes are slower and less direct than either Apple or Google on the iPhone or the portable Tom Tom device. Cape Cod has many meandering roads allowing for optional ways to navigate but the Tesla app never does better than Google. We stopped using it on our recent vacation there.

One example was a 30 minute trip on secondary roads. The Tesla app had us crossing Long Pond Road, making turns on other residential roads and finally turning on Long Pond Road. Other apps had us turn on Long Pond Road directly. In other cases, the Tesla app suggested exits off the mid-Cape highway (65mph) early. The other apps picked exits later down the road and shorter travel times.

My questions are "is this just an East Coast issue?" or a general Tesla Navigation issue? I have a 2017 MS but have not seen a map or navigation update message.

2. DrivingRockies

Unfortunately it's everywhere. I wish it was just you. ;)

• Like x 2
  3. DrReid

DrReid Member

Terrible in SoCal as well. Same route with Waze will be 3/4 of the time. Worst part is that the time estimate will show a much faster time and so it tempts you to trust it. But then that time is totally wrong and it takes you into traffic hell. I think it doesn't account for traffic/speeds when doing time estimates. The other day I had the tesla route showing the exact same navigation instructions as waze, with Tesla showing 22 minutes for my drive and waze showing 33 minutes (and Waze was correct).

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Another example is in Northern Virginia, directions to Tesla Tysons (!): Tesla Nav takes you a direct route where you wait forever to cross oncoming traffic. Google Maps and others route you where several right turns take you right to the front door.

Really needs work.

5. dknisely

dknisely Member

Almost useless in Seattle, except as a supplement if you know your way around. Always best to keep Waze running in parallel and use the display for maps for reference only. The maps are perhaps years out of date for road changes and there is no clue about road closures (ongoing) around Seattle.

6. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

It's only benefit is the battery state of charge guesstimate at your destination and return trip. It came in handy on one longer trip where tesla maps suggested a re-route to go to the Paramus NJ supercharger for 15 minutes to make it home in CT. At the same time I updated my Waze destination to the Paramus supercharger for safe measure.

For longer trips I'll keep up the tesla nav for that purpose and have my iPhone mounted right next to the steering wheel with Waze or google maps as well (prepping myself for a model 3 with the screen placement!)

IMG_0300.JPG