Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Navigation - which lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have my model 3 on order, but haven't been able to see if tesla provides this - so suspect that in itself is actually the answer.

But with Google maps and waze, they will tend to give you guidance as to what lane you need to be in when approaching junctions, roundabouts and other key occasions - does the tesla Navigation system do that, or is it more A to B and you've got to work that stuff out yourself as the driver.

Thanks.

Does anyone happen to have a picture illustrating that?

Equally has anyone tried any of the alternatives with using waze via the browser recently, from what I could determine from other posts most people suggested that performance via the browser was fairly bad.

Equally has anyone tried any of the alternatives with using waze via the browser recently, from what I could determine from other posts most people suggested that performance via the browser was fairly bad.

I'm not a Waze user but pretty sure I tried native Waze in the browser and definitely tried TeslaWaze and gave up. The Tesla browser is pretty sluggish.

Now, if only the audible guidance could correctly count the number of exist on a roundabout it may become reliable

Or even know that a roundabout exit is an exit...

'Take 1st exit' .... erm no, take 2nd exit.
Its not like the ignored exit is a minor access road. Its a pretty major exit not to know about as its the anticlockwise entry slip onto M25.

1624792184368.png

Reactions: H43lio and Caramel
Or even know that a roundabout exit is an exit...

'Take 1st exit' .... erm no, take 2nd exit.
Its not like the ignored exit is a minor access road. Its a pretty major exit not to know about as its the anticlockwise entry slip onto M25.

View attachment 678362
Hmm, I had a rather similar experience yesterday on the latest leg of our roadtrip - screen indicated route was via the third exit from a roundabout, voice announced, 'take the 1st exit'. Confusing to say the least. Screen direction was correct. Why is the voice instruction wrong when the navigation system clearly 'knows' what the correct route should be? Does it forget we drive on the left and think you should be driving anti-clockwise on the roundabout? This happened at a roundabout near to the A14 not far from St Ives but at many other roundabouts the audio directions were correct, which argues against the idea it thinks you should be driving on the right. Strange...

I think this is one area Tesla is no better or worse than any other car or sat nav maker. I’ve found these lane guidance markings flaky with every system I’ve ever used.
My TomTom could certainly count exits correctly and its’take the exit’ instructions were reliable. I could also position the TomTom close to my sight line which helped getting the correct exit. It’s not great trying to interpret the Tesla screen away from the sight line whilst concentrating on the road. Have taken the wrong exit on unfamiliar routes several times as a result.

Reactions: browellm
I think this is one area Tesla is no better or worse than any other car or sat nav maker. I’ve found these lane guidance markings flaky with every system I’ve ever used.

My BMW was great - big pic like that one above with motorway gantry signs along with which lane to be in.

The standard Tesla ones are fine if they're accurate. So far I've not had issues with that. But it does tend to mis-label some things. Like 'bear left' when its actually a marked junction you have to take. You definitely need a layer of interpretation applied to what it says and double check the map view.

It does on the screen as you approach most junctions - doesn’t do it for everyone though. The audio instructions where you have multiple changes immediately following each other can be a bit *sugar* though - best to look at the screen - it also doesn’t seem to like roundabouts with more than 6 exits - displaying some funny visual instructions :)

I may be wrong…. it does indicate in dark grey vs light grey little arrows. Its hard to see and often wrong.
It shows which lanes exit, but it does NOT tell you which exit lane you should be using... For example, it will correctly show you the 2 thru lanes, and the two exit lanes, but it won't tell you that you should be in the 2nd lane from the right, for example, to make your exit correctly...

It shows which lanes exit, but it does NOT tell you which exit lane you should be using... For example, it will correctly show you the 2 thru lanes, and the two exit lanes, but it won't tell you that you should be in the 2nd lane from the right, for example, to make your exit correctly...
It does (usually correctly) in the UK tell you which of the lanes to be in when approaching roundabouts and on junctions where you need to be in a specific lane.

Reactions: rlasry1