Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Navigation - which lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does (usually correctly) in the UK tell you which of the lanes to be in when approaching roundabouts and on junctions where you need to be in a specific lane.
interesting... Must be region dependent... Over here, there was a place where my MY couldn't even be bothered to tell me about a fork in the road, and which way to go.... The two roads ran parallel to each other for a bit before diverging, so I couldn't see on the screen which way to go unless I zoomed out/ahead a bit... I've never had these issues with Google Maps or Waze.

Having used Google maps for years, I find Tesla navigation a major step down. The visuals are really bad. The lane guidance, when available is in small font and light grey. Seriously, I’m about to make several lane changes to get in the proper lane, I DO NOT need to be searching a 12” screen for where the lane guidance is. It’s really a shame because the maps themselves are based on Google. Just please adopt the Google maps app colors and you’ll have the best navigation system of any manufacturer.

I find myself missing turns because the next step font is so small with useless info all over the screen. Also, please please please zoom in so the road that I’m on is not some tiny squiggly line amongst a 500 mile map of swuiggly lines. I really really do not care about what is 50 miles north, south, east, or west at the moment. I just care to know where the next turn I need to make is.

I’m gonna try to give this a fair chance for another week or so. If not, I’m getting a phone holder for and using my phone ghetto style again.

My BMW was great - big pic like that one above with motorway gantry signs along with which lane to be in.

The standard Tesla ones are fine if they're accurate. So far I've not had issues with that. But it does tend to mis-label some things. Like 'bear left' when its actually a marked junction you have to take. You definitely need a layer of interpretation applied to what it says and double check the map view.
Bear left and turn left seem to be picked entirely randomly, and rarely correspond to the definitions I would expect.

Having used Google maps for years, I find Tesla navigation a major step down. The visuals are really bad. The lane guidance, when available is in small font and light grey. Seriously, I’m about to make several lane changes to get in the proper lane, I DO NOT need to be searching a 12” screen for where the lane guidance is. It’s really a shame because the maps themselves are based on Google. Just please adopt the Google maps app colors and you’ll have the best navigation system of any manufacturer.

I find myself missing turns because the next step font is so small with useless info all over the screen. Also, please please please zoom in so the road that I’m on is not some tiny squiggly line amongst a 500 mile map of swuiggly lines. I really really do not care about what is 50 miles north, south, east, or west at the moment. I just care to know where the next turn I need to make is.

I’m gonna try to give this a fair chance for another week or so. If not, I’m getting a phone holder for and using my phone ghetto style again.
Or maybe you'll get used to where the lane guidance is on the screen so you look at instinctively, it's always in the same spot?

Here in the UK I would say the guidance isn't all that accurate most of the time, I'm at least as likely to go wrong if I follow it as not. I do look at the roundabout visualisation regularly as we can't rely on the voice's ability to count exits.

Sounds to me that you need to change the view on the map to heading up, sounds like you are on Route Overview. Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

My biggest grip, is that it does not tell you which lane to use when turning. I heard some people say it does in the UK, but it certainly does not in the US or Canada. At least in the western states/provinces. The lane guidance markers are also misleading. All the arrows show straight ahead, becuase it's telling you which lanes are the turning lanes. But it does not tell you which direction the lane actually goes, so at first it can be confusing, becuase it will look like it says to go straight, when that lane doesn't actually go straight... But like I said, aside from that, it doesn't tell you which turning lane to use.

It is also quite terrible at giving you a heads up. With google/waze/etc, after you complete a turn or get on a freeay, etc, it tells you how far to continue until your next turn/exit. Tesla will only announce this stuff when there is like a 1/4 mile left. This type of information is useful so you know how much time you have left before having to change lanes, or plan which lanes to eventually be in, etc. I've never had it actually tell me about turns that are immediately following another turn either. Google is usually pretty good about those.

Reactions: Manbutter
Lane guidance is poor, as with most sat navs.

Best I’ve found is, believe it or not, Apple Maps. iPhone mounted on a MagSafe mount on top of the steering wheel column is a good, neat solution.