Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Nazi: "No More Autopilot for You!" [Seinfeld episode reference, for those offended: HUMOR]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would find the nags just a bit less annoying if our input allowed us to nudge the car a little toward one side of the lane. Riding the right lane with frequent exits and widening lanes often results in ping pong action which could be alleviated by “nudging” toward the dashed line.
While I have not definitely proved it, I am fairly certain that the nudging does zero to help lane alignment as you've described.

Like 90% certain

I sort of wish the Tesla nag was either a steering shaker or seat shaker like you find on other some brands. I'll give up on the HUD request. :-D

If you are scanning traffic correctly, you are not going to see the nag message. There is normally not a good reason to look at your instrument panel when in autopilot. But without a shaker or HUD, it's easy to miss.

I could not disagree with this statement more.

I use AP a minimum of 1 hour on a daily basis, sometimes in bumper-to-bumper and sometimes with full speed. I have learned what it takes to keep AP happy and it is very rare that I get a warning (unless I am doing something I shouldn't, such as having both hands off the wheel - usually in bumper-to-bumper).

It's about developing the muscle memory and programming yourself to apply a slight pressure every few seconds (with a much shorter interval than the warning interval).

Cool story. I also drive my car daily with a lot of miles per year.

Let me give you some things to think about. That Tesla autonomy video Elon explained that everything in the car is sent to the neural network. Pedal, steering wheel angle, cameras, gps, literally everything. They can change the way a car completely behaves with a software update and we have all seen it. They can change the way autopilot behaves completely. Remember when it didn't require feedback to function? I can tell you my autopilot changes pretty frequently for me. Not just the way it behaves but the feedback required to keep it happy, and how often it nags me. I rented a car on Turo and it nagged way less. The dealer car I test drove for a weekend also nagged me less and required less feedback. Sometimes my resting position is enough to keep it happy and sometimes not. Every car is different, every person is different. My comfortable position isnt the same as your's. I have neck and back issues and my arm needs to be at a certain angle otherwise it cramps up and is very uncomfortable. If my car nags me then my phone is going on the wheel. If you think it's dangerous you are making an assumption which is incorrect because you have not driven with me. My hand is on the wheel and im paying attention. In my 21 years of driving and not causing a single accident my history proves it. If tesla isnt happy with it they should have taken a different approach. Or enable the in cabin camera to verify the driver is paying attention. Either way I will use my phone when needed.

I can tell you my autopilot changes pretty frequently for me.
Not sure which situation applies
  1. Something is wrong with your particular car causing it to change. If so, you might want to take it in for service. In all my readings here, I have never read of anyone else having their AP change so frequently as you've described. Admittedly, TMC is only a very small sampling of the total Tesla universe, but it is probably very representative of the most vocal. OR
  2. Your perception is that it is changing. If you have challenges that require you to be in a very specific position and/or shift frequently, these all require different steering wheel feedback from a musculature standpoint. This might be then interpreted (incorrectly) as AP changing.
Simple reasoning leans towards #2

The irony is that you are punished for having TWO hands on the wheel, as they tend to balance each other out and are therefore undetected. You are rewarded for having ONE hand on the wheel, which feels awkward and off-balance.

Quite true. I went for a drive with one hand on the crossbar, with the arm hanging down. Not a single nag.

But I think that in some situations, having one hand resting low down on the wheel is not sufficient to handle an emergency that requires fast action.

My crystal ball says that someday, the cabin camera will be used (with artificial intelligence) to detect whether the driver is paying attention. That's well within our capability right now.

asleep.jpg

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
My crystal ball says that someday, the cabin camera will be used (with artificial intelligence) to detect whether the driver is paying attention. That's well within our capability right now.

It's really not.

This has been covered numerous times elsewhere- the camera is in the wrong place, at the wrong angle, and of the wrong type without needed supporting equipment, for this job.

Check out all the work Caddy had to do to use a camera for this purpose- it's specifically on the wheel, pointed directly at driver, projecting IR to work in low light, and using a higher res, filtered, camera specifically for the purpose... (and even then it's not as reliable as they wanted it to be)

It's really not.

This has been covered numerous times elsewhere- the camera is in the wrong place, at the wrong angle, and of the wrong type without needed supporting equipment, for this job.

Check out all the work Caddy had to do to use a camera for this purpose- it's specifically on the wheel, pointed directly at driver, projecting IR to work in low light, and using a higher res, filtered, camera specifically for the purpose... (and even then it's not as reliable as they wanted it to be)

It's worse than that with Cadillac, and it's what delayed the rollout of Super Cruise for years. Replacing the windshield and other components cannot be done by ordinary dealerships in all cases. The system while robust is finely calibrated. Having driven it, it does what it says it does. But you can tell it's nerfed still. They came to The Deadline: "At a point in every rollout, there comes a day when you must shoot the engineers and ship something" - Anonymous.

Elon Musk took a unique approach to this in the auto industry. When the product wasn't even complete, he would ship and fix it later.

But I think that in some situations, having one hand resting low down on the wheel is not sufficient to handle an emergency that requires fast action.

Yup. Furthermore, (and I know we all think we are Mario Andretti and can maneuver our way out of any predicament), the body part most useful in a jam is the braking foot, much more so than a steering hand.

Without elaborating, I have found that resting my hands on my thighs, relaxed and awaiting command, is a very effective spot for them to be. They are ready to go at a moment's notice.

It's not stalking - your location is visible. Considering I made comment about being glad you are on the other side of the country, it doesn't take a whole lot of reasoning to figure out that "USA" is different.
Exactly. Hope he don’t live on the west coast which i see you do so think im good. Of course idiocy knows no boundaries........probably waters plants with Gatorade too. Its got electrolytes!!