Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla nearing 50k miles mark, what preventative maintenance should I have Tesla do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in NJ as well, it appears now that the biggest expense on maintenance of Model 3 may be the tire replacement. Where did you have the tires changed, and how much?
I just had mine replaced the back two would not pass inspection. Holy expensive. Replaced with OEM, $311/tire (I know, it’s more than tire rack), and total cost with PA inspection was over $800. Bummer. I have a P3D- so i was hitting it pretty hard this first year. Front tires are still good.

I just had mine replaced the back two would not pass inspection. Holy expensive. Replaced with OEM, $311/tire (I know, it’s more than tire rack), and total cost with PA inspection was over $800. Bummer. I have a P3D- so i was hitting it pretty hard this first year. Front tires are still good.
P3D- so 18" Aero rims? How many miles did you get out of the first set? If you replaced one and not the other you're not rotating, I assume?

I replaced the 18" on my AWD at 19,000 miles with 18" PS4S. I rotated them a lot to get that much out. I got them to near 2/32" square and then ran the rears down to barely discernible when running finger tips over them (don't do this at home, kids! :p ) The PS4S are now past 26,000 miles and still legal-ish, though right at the 2/32" edge so I'll soon be swapping on something passable for trips North this winter (probably a set of Extreme Contact DWS 06, I expect to get them balanced and installed at around $200/each). Clearly under strong acceleration and cornering the OEM MXM4 aren't up for our AWD's power and weight.

Agreed, unless there's some sort of noticeable colour to it in the reservoir. I'm over 12 months now and I've even cooked mine to the point of the brake temp alarm triggering, and live in a high humidity climate, and really have no need to purge the OEM fluid for road use. I will purge it as part of swapping on aftermarket rotors but that's because it'll need to be taking serious heat.

Brake fluid absorbs water just by existing... (and boiling makes it a lot worse)... yes, it absolutely needs to be replaced regularly (not every 12 months unless you're constantly cooking it, but typically every 2-4 years in normal use). There's a reason Tesla left that on the list when they dropped almost every other recommendation for routine maintenance.

Reactions: vickh
P3D- so 18" Aero rims? How many miles did you get out of the first set? If you replaced one and not the other you're not rotating, I assume?

I replaced the 18" on my AWD at 19,000 miles with 18" PS4S. I rotated them a lot to get that much out. I got them to near 2/32" square and then ran the rears down to barely discernible when running finger tips over them (don't do this at home, kids! :p ) The PS4S are now past 26,000 miles and still legal-ish, though right at the 2/32" edge so I'll soon be swapping on something passable for trips North this winter (probably a set of Extreme Contact DWS 06, I expect to get them balanced and installed at around $200/each). Clearly under strong acceleration and cornering the OEM MXM4 aren't up for our AWD's power and weight.
Yeah forgot to mention got 14k miles out of them. Not rotating was a bad idea. I had no idea they would only last 14k. I think the backs were 2 and the fronts (still on) are 6.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
Brake fluid absorbs water just by existing... (and boiling makes it a lot worse)... yes, it absolutely needs to be replaced regularly (not every 12 months unless you're constantly cooking it, but typically every 2-4 years in normal use). There's a reason Tesla left that on the list when they dropped almost every other recommendation for routine maintenance.

Closer to 4 years in low moisture areas like AZ? Ranger check it?