Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla nearing 50k miles mark, what preventative maintenance should I have Tesla do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, when Tesla says the battery coolant is "good for the life of the car" I read that to mean "Foregoing replacement of battery coolant won't cause any problems during the warranty period, so don't clog up our Service Centers with this kind of work". Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm not sure that it's wise to take their recommendation at face value.

They said that they made that change based on what they have seen with the S&X over the years.

My take: they started with the industry standard policy of changing the fluid, but found out that it wasn't necessary because unlike in an ICE it isn't exposed to the high heat. (Which is probably what degrades the coolant the most.)

I live in NJ too and will be close to your mileage, I drive 30k a year. What mileage did you get out of your original tires? Replaced with OEM or a different brand? PSI? And assuming you do a lot of highway driving what’s your WH/MI? Thanks!!

so im on my second set of oem. First set was gone before 20k miles. I also have a winter set i put on for the winter. So these tires have been on for a only a couple of months and are still good.

dont know my WH/MI. I just drive.

What's the expected lifespan of the 12V battery?
Have there been any reports of 12V battery issues similar to the model S and X? or have they figured that out on the model 3?

ive gone through 2 12v.

but i think that was more of a function of directly attaching my dashcam to the battery. Once i made tapped the lights area for 12v to dash. I havent had the error again.

So thats probably on me.

so im on my second set of oem. First set was gone before 20k miles. I also have a winter set i put on for the winter. So these tires have been on for a only a couple of months and are still good.

dont know my WH/MI. I just drive.
I'm in NJ as well, it appears now that the biggest expense on maintenance of Model 3 may be the tire replacement. Where did you have the tires changed, and how much?

I'm in NJ as well, it appears now that the biggest expense on maintenance of Model 3 may be the tire replacement. Where did you have the tires changed, and how much?

So the best place i've found is by ordering the tires through Tire rack.

Then getting them shipped to edge motors in haverstraw. Edge Motors - Welcome to Edge Motors

they worked on the Audi/Tesla conversion and is super knowledgeable about EV's.

Customer service is not great, they're not about making you feel warm and fuzzy. Its because they actually know what they are doing and they are fairly snobby about it.

They are inexpensive and good.

Reactions: Common_Loon
Costco is great for tires. Nobody on commission. Free nitrogen fills. Frequent sales. Great customer service (can only vouch for local, of course). Had two sets of the Goodyears on my model S. Ran nice, didn't last. Replaced with all-season Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+. Includes free rotation, balancing, flat repair for the life of the tire. They now do plenty of Teslas.

Costco is great for tires. Nobody on commission. Free nitrogen fills. Frequent sales. Great customer service (can only vouch for local, of course). Had two sets of the Goodyears on my model S. Ran nice, didn't last. Replaced with all-season Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+. Includes free rotation, balancing, flat repair for the life of the tire. They now do plenty of Teslas.
Nitrogen fills are the biggest scam ever.

Points, condenser, distributor cap and coil. Maybe a new set of plug wires.

Check the compression. You don’t want oil blow by.

Change the O2 sensor. Then check PCV valve, the evaporative emissions (charcoal) canister, EGR pump, and inspect the catalytic converter for rust or leaks.

Nothing worse than a Tesla spewing a cloud of blue smoke out of the tailpipe.

I have a Tesla Model 3 Performance (delivered October 2018) and I'm also nearing 50,000 miles (currently at 44,685.79 Miles). I've had multiple autopilot cameras replaced due to failure, backup camera replaced 3 times (1 was from a rear-end accident which included rebuliding the back-end and replacing the trunk and rear side panels and sensors), autopilot computer replaced due to failure (unfortunately not the version 3 one, though I'll get it at some point as I purchased FSD), replacement of the entire back window due to failure of the defroster, replacement of the dash pad due to bubbling issues. I have the same questions. Awesome car, would buy again in a second but want to make sure everything is perfect once the odometer rolls over to 50k. I did have a smelly AC at one point but it seemed to fix itself, should I have Tesla proactively replace the filters? The manual says to lubricate the brake calipers in winter areas that salt roads, have never done this, and I live in the north-east (Pennsylvania), does Tesla do that for free? I religiously was bugs off the car and do an underwash in winter time to remove the salt and sand/gravel.

Side Note: has anyone heard a loud pop from the front speakers, the bar under the extreme front windshield, which then suddenly goes out with no sound from the speakers? It's fixed with rebooting the computer, but not sure if it is a defect that needs fixed or a software bug. It's happened twice, just earlier today.

Last edited:
And the brake fluid doesn't need to be changed in normal driving.
Agreed, unless there's some sort of noticeable colour to it in the reservoir. I'm over 12 months now and I've even cooked mine to the point of the brake temp alarm triggering, and live in a high humidity climate, and really have no need to purge the OEM fluid for road use. I will purge it as part of swapping on aftermarket rotors but that's because it'll need to be taking serious heat.