TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla needs a tracking feature

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cooksomerice, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

Tracking an items purchased on Amazon or eBay is easy. It's comforting, reassuring and offers enough satisfaction to momentarily quail the anticipation of a new purchase.

I signed papers on a 2016 CPO MS Monday. I have not idea of the status of my order. I have even told it may take a few weeks before I can take delivery.

The MS has onboard GPS.
    The company operates on a network of locales throughout the country.

I can imagine a tool, located behind the door of mytesla that could offer a least a delayed status, if not real time, of your new car.

2. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

I think a lot of the production/transit delays/etc are confidential and not public information. It could lead to widespread speculation about production backlog, priority for certain customers, etc.

• Like x 1
  3. DarylS2001

DarylS2001 Member

I agree that tracking the build of your car should be more transparent especially in 2016. I reached out to my DS with some feedback.

My Suggestion of better communication on Building of your car - along these lines:

EXAMPLE: Due to the new hardware release the build of your vehicle has been delayed by ____ days. Your vehicle is # ______ waiting in line to start build it will be approximately ____ days before build starts - once your build has started it will take approx. ____ days to finish. We expect your vehicle to be completed _____ date.

His Response:
    "We are unable to provide exact numbers because we do not have visibility in our production timing."
    Seems a bit odd - why
    don't they? SEEMS LIKE THIS WOULD BE VERY EASY.

Anyways they are saying end of December (order confirmed on 10/9/16) - we shall see. I was only hoping for December due to take advantage of Federal Tax Credit for 2016. JUNE 2017 is the latest LOL ... my lease is up then.

• Like x 1
  4. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

[QUOTE

His Response:
    "We are unable to provide exact numbers because we do not have visibility in our production timing."

[/QUOTE]

Why would they not have visibility in there timing? Perhaps it is because R&D throws curveballs ( albeit, awesome curveballs) at them just like last weeks announcement.

It seems to me that the company would not need to be overly concerned with speculation or bad press, as humangenome suggested, if they just ran an efficient and productive line.

There is something to be said for the annual vehicle roll out of past generations of automakers.

Go ahead and flame away, but perhaps there is some iteration similar to the traditional model that would allow them to continue to produce vehicles uninterrupted, while still bringing the latest and greatest to market throughout the year. I just don't believe they have such a system in place currently.

I get that the model is closer to Apple than to Ford, but the devil is in the details. If you are constantly taking one step forward and two steps backwards, production will certainly suffer and eventually too will customer satisfaction.

5. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

My car had to overnight at the service center to complete a repair and when they brought it to me the next day I was able to track its position, which made meeting up easier (timing-wise; I was able to be at the meeting place just in time). It was useful but I can understand why this is not enabled for initial delivery.