Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs better Customer Service to survive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is long but I think pretty important. I had my battery pack go out 2 days after I bought my used 2012 model s and ended up going through RECELL to refurbish the battery and things were great for a couple months...

I sadly had a fender bender 2 months ago, and the "Tesla approved" body shop let it sit uncharged while waiting for parts.

They just last week took it to Tesla because it said the low voltage battery took a crap from sitting. Tesla decided to just say my whole battery was needing replaced again. Citing they had told me back in January. I was told this through the 3rd party repair shop, and told them it was a refurbished battery and should just need a new low voltage and for me to follow a strict charging regimen to re-balance the High Voltage battery.

They told me I should try and talk to Tesla myself to pass the information to them. Since you can't ever talk to the techs over the phone I called and they said they would have the tech call (never happened) I stopped by the Tesla service center to let them know. The "senior tech" came out and started chewing me out for calling and harassing him??? I hadn't even started speaking yet. He then told me they had determined in January it needed a new battery and he had NO obligation to even talk to me. The entire time yelling at me. I finally was able to say it was a refurbished battery and he acted surprised and then said still needs a new one. I asked what have they even done to know that. He admitted they hadn't even looked at it once I asked specific codes that were coming up. I asked why he was being so Hostile and he kept saying because I'm not his customer and he doesn't have to talk to me. I said he was kinda being an "Ass". Yes I know, not smart, but it was after 10 minutes of him practically yelling at me for trying to tell him about the refurbished battery.
I then asked to speak to his manager when he said I don't get to speak to them. Then I asked the front desk and the Tech yells "Fine, I'm not even going to work on your car" and called the body shop to come pick it up!!

I have been trying to work through the body shop since and they were able to convince them to keep it. But I drove by the other day and they still haven't even moved it from the spot it was in the service lot.

Here's a summary:
RECELL was awesome and charged a lot less and answered questions extremely quickly.
I have never been treated like how I was treated by this "Tech" by any professional company in my entire life.
I was still Pro Tesla until last week (I also have a model 3) but I am seriously considering selling both and never thinking about one again because of how awful of an experience I had.

Reactions: tesdpr
This company is a joke. Customer service, lol. You can’t get anyone on the phone. You can’t get a timely response in the app. They have no problem blaming everyone else for their shortcomings. It’s COVID’s fault, we are short handed… they validated my frustration and thanked me for my patience. Thank you for validating my feelings. Four months wait for a part, then they blame quarterly deliveries for service delays despite having an appointment. That is the entire reason for an appointment, this is not a drop in service. I’m in an episode of Seinfeld with these people. STOP selling new cars Tesla, you can’t keep up with the demand. This company is a microcosm of what is wrong in the world. I was a proud owner for all of a minute.

This company is a joke. Customer service, lol. You can’t get anyone on the phone. You can’t get a timely response in the app. They have no problem blaming everyone else for their shortcomings. It’s COVID’s fault, we are short handed… they validated my frustration and thanked me for my patience. Thank you for validating my feelings. Four months wait for a part, then they blame quarterly deliveries for service delays despite having an appointment. That is the entire reason for an appointment, this is not a drop in service. I’m in an episode of Seinfeld with these people. STOP selling new cars Tesla, you can’t keep up with the demand. This company is a microcosm of what is wrong in the world. I was a proud owner for all of a minute.
Tesla Insurance even worse customer service lol but hey purchasing the BRAND

Don't feel bad. I just bought a new 2022 Model S long-range. It had several quality control issues at delivery, including a misaligned rear quarter panel. They sent a tech to my house, but he couldn't fix it. I made an appointment at the service center, but they couldn't fix it. Then they had me wait three weeks for an appointment with their body shop. They have had my new car for a month now and still have not fixed it. They've had the car longer than I have owned it, and I'm the one making payments on it. Doesn't the lemon law kick in after 30 days of the car being in service? Anyway...

They did give me an old (short-range) Model 3 that smelled like mold and large coffee stains (I'm guessing). I had to bring the loaner in for service because I couldn't even drive it with the windows closed. It made my clothes smell like mold too. I had to wait while they cleaned the A/C on the loaner, but the smell came back a couple of days later, though not as strong. Telsa has inconvenienced me in just about every way they can. They don't care about service or customer satisfaction or even respect their customers.

I've been a Tesla owner since 2013, and I can tell you firsthand that customer service is getting worse, not better. It's been ten years now with a steady decline in service quality and workmanship.

Reactions: DustinT
Don't feel bad. I just bought a new 2022 Model S long-range. It had several quality control issues at delivery, including a misaligned rear quarter panel. They sent a tech to my house, but he couldn't fix it. I made an appointment at the service center, but they couldn't fix it. Then they had me wait three weeks for an appointment with their body shop. They have had my new car for a month now and still have not fixed it. They've had the car longer than I have owned it, and I'm the one making payments on it. Doesn't the lemon law kick in after 30 days of the car being in service? Anyway...

They did give me an old (short-range) Model 3 that smelled like mold and large coffee stains (I'm guessing). I had to bring the loaner in for service because I couldn't even drive it with the windows closed. It made my clothes smell like mold too. I had to wait while they cleaned the A/C on the loaner, but the smell came back a couple of days later, though not as strong. Telsa has inconvenienced me in just about every way they can. They don't care about service or customer satisfaction or even respect their customers.

I've been a Tesla owner since 2013, and I can tell you firsthand that customer service is getting worse, not better. It's been ten years now with a steady decline in service quality and workmanship.
Slap a BioHazard decal on the Windshield before you return it

Reactions: nickr

welcome to the Tesla experience.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
I have been a Tesla customer for 12 years now. It saddens me to watch the implosion in real time. They have been relying on their customer's goodwill and a lack of alternatives in the market for a few years now. It will still take a few more years but there are some compelling EVs hitting the market now. The Ioniq 6 and BMW i4 M50 have the Model 3 range covered. The MB EQS and EQS SUV have the S/X covered (mostly, Plaid is still faster). Yes, the MBs are ugly to many but they are an option. Ford and Chevy know trucks and SUVs and are finally getting their act together.

Bottom line is that until their order books have gaps in them, Tesla will not fix this. They literally don't care. They only care about Wall Street and Wall Street only cares about numbers of cars produced and delivered. Until those metrics are impacted, customer service will not improve.

Now having said that, in my experience, the actual Tesla employees that I have interacted with work their tails off with horrible systems to make my experience as great as possible. But at a Corporate level they get zero support. Elon will not invest in back end systems and processes because those are "boring."

I think Tesla will keep pushing the boundaries of technology and for that they will attract customers that want the latest tech, regardless of how poorly they are treated. But less techy people will not stand for it. Heck I am techy and I'm pretty much done.

Here's a little example. I had my wife's Model S in for service pre-COVID. The Service Center closes at 5:00 while the gallery is open until 7:00. I was on track to pick up the car by 5:00 but was delayed. At 4:50 I realized I wasn't going to make it. If I could have gotten a hold of someone in the service center they could have parked it outside and given the key to one of the reps in the Gallery. But you can't call them. I sent them a note in the app but they didn't check their computer. So of course when I get there at 5:10 the service folks are gone and the gallery folks give me blank looks when I ask if service gave them my key.

Don't even get me started on how it took me 5 months to have a very minor front end repair done due to massive waits for parts. IT was pre-COVID so not related to shortages. At one point the hood sat in Dallas for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be generated to send it on to the body shop.

The market is Tesla's to lose. I hope they don't.

I have been a Tesla customer for 12 years now. It saddens me to watch the implosion in real time. They have been relying on their customer's goodwill and a lack of alternatives in the market for a few years now. It will still take a few more years but there are some compelling EVs hitting the market now. The Ioniq 6 and BMW i4 M50 have the Model 3 range covered. The MB EQS and EQS SUV have the S/X covered (mostly, Plaid is still faster). Yes, the MBs are ugly to many but they are an option. Ford and Chevy know trucks and SUVs and are finally getting their act together.

Bottom line is that until their order books have gaps in them, Tesla will not fix this. They literally don't care. They only care about Wall Street and Wall Street only cares about numbers of cars produced and delivered. Until those metrics are impacted, customer service will not improve.

Now having said that, in my experience, the actual Tesla employees that I have interacted with work their tails off with horrible systems to make my experience as great as possible. But at a Corporate level they get zero support. Elon will not invest in back end systems and processes because those are "boring."

I think Tesla will keep pushing the boundaries of technology and for that they will attract customers that want the latest tech, regardless of how poorly they are treated. But less techy people will not stand for it. Heck I am techy and I'm pretty much done.

Here's a little example. I had my wife's Model S in for service pre-COVID. The Service Center closes at 5:00 while the gallery is open until 7:00. I was on track to pick up the car by 5:00 but was delayed. At 4:50 I realized I wasn't going to make it. If I could have gotten a hold of someone in the service center they could have parked it outside and given the key to one of the reps in the Gallery. But you can't call them. I sent them a note in the app but they didn't check their computer. So of course when I get there at 5:10 the service folks are gone and the gallery folks give me blank looks when I ask if service gave them my key.

Don't even get me started on how it took me 5 months to have a very minor front end repair done due to massive waits for parts. IT was pre-COVID so not related to shortages. At one point the hood sat in Dallas for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be generated to send it on to the body shop.

The market is Tesla's to lose. I hope they don't.
reason why Tesla is winning and EV #1 because they got the greatest SuperCharging network in the USA, if not they would be trash among EV industry.

two years a min of 8 visits to Tesla and at least 2 mobile service visits to my home. BEYOND horrible customer service I have ever ever experienced. THE APP is a great idea unfortunately IT DOES NOT WORK.. you have to talk to someone period. THIngs get lost via texts . Cant wait for MB.. AUDI and VW to get caught up in the EV game and blow Tesla out of the market

This is long but I think pretty important. I had my battery pack go out 2 days after I bought my used 2012 model s and ended up going through RECELL to refurbish the battery and things were great for a couple months...

I sadly had a fender bender 2 months ago, and the "Tesla approved" body shop let it sit uncharged while waiting for parts.

They just last week took it to Tesla because it said the low voltage battery took a crap from sitting. Tesla decided to just say my whole battery was needing replaced again. Citing they had told me back in January. I was told this through the 3rd party repair shop, and told them it was a refurbished battery and should just need a new low voltage and for me to follow a strict charging regimen to re-balance the High Voltage battery.

They told me I should try and talk to Tesla myself to pass the information to them. Since you can't ever talk to the techs over the phone I called and they said they would have the tech call (never happened) I stopped by the Tesla service center to let them know. The "senior tech" came out and started chewing me out for calling and harassing him??? I hadn't even started speaking yet. He then told me they had determined in January it needed a new battery and he had NO obligation to even talk to me. The entire time yelling at me. I finally was able to say it was a refurbished battery and he acted surprised and then said still needs a new one. I asked what have they even done to know that. He admitted they hadn't even looked at it once I asked specific codes that were coming up. I asked why he was being so Hostile and he kept saying because I'm not his customer and he doesn't have to talk to me. I said he was kinda being an "Ass". Yes I know, not smart, but it was after 10 minutes of him practically yelling at me for trying to tell him about the refurbished battery.
I then asked to speak to his manager when he said I don't get to speak to them. Then I asked the front desk and the Tech yells "Fine, I'm not even going to work on your car" and called the body shop to come pick it up!!

I have been trying to work through the body shop since and they were able to convince them to keep it. But I drove by the other day and they still haven't even moved it from the spot it was in the service lot.

Here's a summary:
RECELL was awesome and charged a lot less and answered questions extremely quickly.
I have never been treated like how I was treated by this "Tech" by any professional company in my entire life.
I was still Pro Tesla until last week (I also have a model 3) but I am seriously considering selling both and never thinking about one again because of how awful of an experience I had.
My advice to anyone is if you can’t afford to purchase a Tesla brand new and exchange it within warranty, like and iPhone, you have no business owning a Tesla. I purchased a 2012 Model S in May of 2021. It had a recall for the MCU and they offered to upgrade to 4G for $250. I went to get my car 2 days later and the driver side door handle was stuck out. I asked the TSC rep to look at it and he says “oh were we suppose to fix that? It’s $300.” I said “no, my door handle was fine when I brought it in.” He replied, “sorry, your vehicles out of warranty, that’s wear and tear, you’ll have to pay to get it fixed!” I said “let me get this straight, I paid to get my vehicle updated and you give it back to me with something broken!” The rep said we didn’t do anything to your vehicle, it’s just your bad luck!” I get in the car and look at my main screen and it looked like it had a crack right across the center. I called the rep back over and said “I suppose you had nothing to do with this too? This was not here when I brought it in.” The rep said, “yeah that’s wear and tear also, these screens leak glue and are common to be replaced every 5 years, it’s $1300!” At this point I’ve decided if I take my vehicle to Tesla for an issue, they can screw with my car, and hand it back with bigger problems. I took it to GruberMotors and had it fixed for $1200 both screen and door handle. Later the same year, my wife was T-boned on the passenger side. It sat at a TACC for 8 months waiting for a door handle kit, had to got to TSC to get calibrated. 24 hours after TACC gives me my car back I’m stranded with voltage warning car inoperable. TMS comes and changes 12v battery and says bad news, main battery is out. It appears damage to the battery occurred on passenger side. I never told him about the accident. I towed it to TSC at my insurance request, same TSC rep says we don’t work with insurance companies. Insurance says nope it’s wear and tear, it just went out. I complained to TSC about what their mobile tech said and they took pics of the damage and sent to insurance, which still denied the claim. I spoke to the TSC rep and asked if they had a way to provide a report of the cause of the battery failure, damage, poor maintenance, or wear and tear. The rep said, yes if you pay to replace the battery we can provide that for you. I said ok include it in the estimate and I’ll approve it. Sure enough, I get the estimate and nothing is there in the report. I messaged him and he now denies ever offering a report. I documented what he said and when he said it, he still denied and offered to cancel the work. I’m now doing exactly what I said I would and sharing my experience. Tesla screws their customers that are out of warranty. They can screw up your car while in their possession and take no accountability. They also protect insurance companies because they offer insurance and will do the same, not work with insurance, not offer to provide any details that allow you to take legal action, but will gladly take your money! IMO Tesla’s out of warranty are lemons! Had I purchased the battery, I wouldn’t be surprised to get it back with the motor being out and then say my bad luck it’s wear and tear and it hasn’t been driven in a year. The vehicle is going where it belongs, to pick-a-part!

My Tesla (2002 Model 3 that I have had for 7 months) just froze WHILE I WAS DRIVING. Computer went totally off-line. I could accelerate, decelerate, and brake but had no other controls - no hazards, no turn signals, no ability to change gears and could not see any speed or other systems. It was night, so thank goodness the headlights stayed on. Tried rebooting, hard rebooting, but it did not work. The car was stuck in Drive and would not turn off, even when I exited. Once I exited (chocking the tires so it would not roll), the doors locked and no longer responded to the app or cards. So Tesla had it towed to the service center, where it sits, like a very pricey paperweight. After repeated texts, they responded once yesterday to say they cannot open it and do not yet know what it wrong. After no response in the app all day today, I called (following the advice to listen to the prompts) and the repair guy said "we are still diagnosing it". They clearly have no idea what is wrong, cannot unlock the car, and have no idea how long it will be. And acted like I was annoying them by asking. This is not looking good.

Here's a summary:
"Harassing him" means he is going to call the police on you and have you tossed off the property. I sincerely think you need to file a complaint with BBB and have an attorney reach out to Tesla legal since there is no Tesla customer service. Explain you are not looking for money, just what is right and not to be treated and implicitly threatened. When I read your story I had this indescribable feeling of dread - that I was so dumb to fall in to this "cult" like behavior of Tesla fans. These fans will tell you spending the money is good as it helps Tesla grow and innovate. OK - fine - that's true - but there are a) bounds on that limit and b) no transparency from Tesla on what you are getting in to wish you but their car regarding service and c) no matter what what a guy treats you like that and keeps his job that is a toxic work environment. He is probably not a real assh%%}. He is probably acting the way he is due to poor leadership at all levels in Tesla service and he took his frustration out on you. The alternative is that he truly is as he appears and at this time I am not yet ready to reconcile such a concept, as that means something worse - that Tesla is hiring and enabling people to literally tell customers to f$&@ off.

Right on

Same boat. In winter on the highway at night my Tesla gets about 1 mile per percentage of battery on autopilot, with the heat off and the speed set to 69mph. I have to wear a winter coat - occasionally opening my window to de-fog the windows - to reliably make it to my destination when I'm on a longer trip. This is obviously the experience I envisioned before I dropped $65k on this car. Who needs battery hogging climate control when you can simply wear your winter coat?

Brought it into a Tesla service center and the claimed cause by the techs was... Driver behavior and lack of understanding on my part of how cold weather affects battery efficiency. I've owned this car for years. It gets worse in the winter every year. Can you imagine if Tesla advertised honestly and told you that your 330+ mile range EV gets less than 100 miles of range in the winter once the sun goes down? Oh and my battery "passes." It charges to 270 miles or less at 100%.

The most helpful, informed person I spoke with was from Tesla's new escalated customer service function. He told me he was on the range support team. Unfortunately I have never been able to get in touch with him again after the initial conversation and none of what we spoke about and worked through made it to the service center. This guy and I made actual progress troubleshooting what appears to be a complex battery efficiency issue with my car. Might as well have typed it all up and then deleted it.

Same boat. In winter on the highway at night my Tesla gets about 1 mile per percentage of battery on autopilot, with the heat off and the speed set to 69mph. I have to wear a winter coat - occasionally opening my window to de-fog the windows - to reliably make it to my destination when I'm on a longer trip. This is obviously the experience I envisioned before I dropped $65k on this car. Who needs battery hogging climate control when you can simply wear your winter coat?

Brought it into a Tesla service center and the claimed cause by the techs was... Driver behavior and lack of understanding on my part of how cold weather affects battery efficiency. I've owned this car for years. It gets worse in the winter every year. Can you imagine if Tesla advertised honestly and told you that your 330+ mile range EV gets less than 100 miles of range in the winter once the sun goes down? Oh and my battery "passes." It charges to 270 miles or less at 100%.

The most helpful, informed person I spoke with was from Tesla's new escalated customer service function. He told me he was on the range support team. Unfortunately I have never been able to get in touch with him again after the initial conversation and none of what we spoke about and worked through made it to the service center. This guy and I made actual progress troubleshooting what appears to be a complex battery efficiency issue with my car. Might as well have typed it all up and then deleted it.
I'm not sure exactly what model you have but it does sound like there's probably a problem with your battery that probably exceeds the ability of your service center to handle.
One question I do have is: Are you pre-conditioning your battery before driving in cold weather? In my experience, this is best done by setting the charging time to end charging just before you depart. If you start driving with a cold-soaked battery, you're going to see very short range although 100 miles is waaayy shorter than I'd expect.
Given Tesla's service issues and my limited experience with Tesla service since I've seldom had to deal with it, I'd recommend you keep putting in service requests. Be the "squeaky wheel that gets the grease".

I'm not sure exactly what model you have but it does sound like there's probably a problem with your battery that probably exceeds the ability of your service center to handle.
One question I do have is: Are you pre-conditioning your battery before driving in cold weather? In my experience, this is best done by setting the charging time to end charging just before you depart. If you start driving with a cold-soaked battery, you're going to see very short range although 100 miles is waaayy shorter than I'd expect.
Given Tesla's service issues and my limited experience with Tesla service since I've seldom had to deal with it, I'd recommend you keep putting in service requests. Be the "squeaky wheel that gets the grease".
Hey there - thanks for getting back to me! 2018 Model 3. You're right - this is a multi-step resolution process, and it seems Tesla is designed to handle a single step. I am pre-conditioning the battery before driving. I'm referring to a roadtrip where I'm driving for 1500+ miles continuously and the battery stays warm throughout.

Here's my issue with being the squeaky wheel, and I'm curious of your take. I have been the squeaky wheel, because I've had these issues for far too long. It seems Tesla has flagged my account and now no one will call me back. One of the issues of Tesla having a complete monopoly over vehicle diagnostics and service.

Tesla service definitely leaves a lot to be desired. The don't seem to answer their phones at all - ever. Have you scheduled service on the app?
Of course, your range out of Denver will vary greatly depending on whether you head east or west. I wouldn't expect more than 1%/estimated mile on the guess-o-meter headed west (up the steepest grade on the US Interstate Highway system) but you can't climb forever before you start coasting down, making a lot of it back up. I would expect a lot more headed east.
I never stop in Denver but always easily make it from Brush, CO to the Idaho Springs Supercharger (~120 miles) in my 2018 Model 3, even in cold winter at 75+ mph. I easily make it 120 miles to Glenwood Springs (120 miles) and sometimes as far as Grand Junction (212 miles) depending on conditions and how long I charge in Idaho Springs.
Oh and my battery "passes." It charges to 270 miles or less at 100%.
This is probably about right, given the age, especially if your guess-o-meter isn't calibrated because most of your regular trips are short ones. It will always estimate conservatively.

Reactions: secondeffigy