Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Needs on "Off button"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm exhausted trying to figure out how to get my Tesla to shut off at home with the doors unlocked. TESLA....PLEEEEEEASE just give me an off button.
First off, I refuse to lock my car while it is in the garage. There is no reason why my car should be locked in my garage. It hinders people getting in and out of the car and getting stuff out (like sunglasses) when I need it. But if the doors don't lock the car never shuts off. And no this isn't intermittent battery cooling. The fans for cabin conditioning are clearly running all night. The fan noise doesn't stop unless I turn off the cabin conditioning and it stops immediately.

Think of all the power wasted from my Tesla never turning off. Tesla may think it has created a really smart car because you don't have to turn it on and off, but it has created unnecessary frustration.

I'm exhausted trying to figure out how to get my Tesla to shut off at home with the doors unlocked. TESLA....PLEEEEEEASE just give me an off button.
First off, I refuse to lock my car while it is in the garage. There is no reason why my car should be locked in my garage. It hinders people getting in and out of the car and getting stuff out (like sunglasses) when I need it. But if the doors don't lock the car never shuts off. And no this isn't intermittent battery cooling. The fans for cabin conditioning are clearly running all night. The fan noise doesn't stop unless I turn off the cabin conditioning and it stops immediately.

Think of all the power wasted from my Tesla never turning off. Tesla may think it has created a really smart car because you don't have to turn it on and off, but it has created unnecessary frustration.

The car will turn off eventually even if not locked, however, every time you access it (to get the aforementioned sunglasses etc) it will wake up. The "I refuse to lock my car in the garage" thing people say really confuses me, but I get that some people are like that. Enough are like that, that tesla puts an option in the car now to not lock it when its at home.

Of course, then you have to depend on the car to know whether its IN the garage, or in front of the garage. I have no idea if it locks in front of the garage but not IN the garage, but I doubt its that accurate.

If your car is running all night, its likely you have something else keeping it awake (like some third party monitoring app that you have not setup

correctly. That is the primary cause of "My car wont sleep", and "I tried XXX third party app but deleted it" does not remove its access to your car. If you EVER (even once) logged into your car using any third party app, including but not limited to Teslafi, Teslamate, Watch for Tesla, Stats, Abetterrouteplanner, or ANY other service that said "log in here with your tesla account to track / account for, etc this information on your tesla" change your tesla account password and see if your car will sleep.

Also, as stated, there is a "power off" button in the car menus but the car turns on when you open any door, and I doubt there will ever (ever) be a situation where the car does not turn on when you open a door or otherwise access it with the tesla app.

What Tesla Needs is a mandatory requirement for all new buyers to read the Manual so they can see the request they are upset about most likely is there.
People are never going to read manuals. 😃 except for car crazy people like us hanging around forums like this.
Reg OP question.
There is no exact definition for on/off. There are “onion layers“ beginning kernel, then operating system, bms (can run independently from the rest), external communication, locks, charger, battery thermal, Sentry, screens, body controls, cabin hvac, sound and finally prnd.
You are saying the cabin hvac is running 24/7 when doors are unlocked, correct? I have had Teslas for ten years and never experienced any correlation between lock and cabin hvac on/off. could there be a departure schedule put in by mistake? that would turn on the hvac. Or are there keys in proximity?

tesla puts an option in the car now to not lock it when its at home.

Of course, then you have to depend on the car to know whether its IN the garage, or in front of the garage. I have no idea if it locks in front of the garage but not IN the garage, but I doubt its that accurate.

Excluding auto-lock in the garage is nice so the honk-on-lock option (which is important feedback for auto-lock) doesn't wake the family and so you don't have to wait for the car to to unlock to get in.

This feature has a wide GPS range, thus when parking in the driveway you have to remember to manually lock the car. That case comes up very rarely so it's hard to remember. OTOH auto-lock off at home is helpful when washing the car in the driveway. (We're in a multi-year drought. I use Meguiar's Wash and Wax per mobile service recommendation. Very little water needed.)

I do recommend reading the owners manual, and actually it's the most readable car manual I've ever seen. But it might not answer all of these questions.

To minimize battery drain while parked:
* Sentry Mode: Off
* Summon Standby Mode: Off
* Disable "Keep Climate On"
* Climate Preconditioning: Off
* Cabin Overheat Protection: Off
* Scheduled departure: Off

Also, but less significant:
* Disable Mobile Access
* Disable Data Upload to Tesla
* Do not use or connect to third party data-logging apps

You don’t ever need to turn “off” a Tesla. The car just does it’s thing.

I *think* there is a door lock setting where you can tell the car not to lock at specific locations, but I’m not totally positive on that.

Turn cabin overheat protection to off and Sentry mode to off at “home.” With those two settings off (as long as you don’t have FSD) the car will go into a deep sleep state. I usually only burn maybe 1 to 2 kWh over 12+ hours…

What Tesla Needs is a mandatory requirement for all new buyers to read the Manual so they can see the request they are upset about most likely is there.
While I don’t disagree the manuals have become so bloated that reading them has become impractical. Every other paragraph is some caution or warning that you typically don’t need, too, making it even worse. I’ve also found the organization of Tesla’s manual to be a bit odd. Often times things I’m looking for are not where i would expect them to be.

Tesla at least has their manual online, making it more searchable.