Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to give us more music options like Spotify

Are you satisfied w the current options for music/entertainment?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 218 91.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm probably beating a dead horse here, but wow, just took delivery of my M3 the other day and this Slacker stuff is a disaster. Even on their site and in the Android app, it's a nightmare to use. It appears they have most of the music I'd want to listen to, but I prefer to just straight up listen to an album at a time, and they want to make this as difficult as possible to do. Sure, there are playlists, but ain't nobody got time for that. I can't even remember the last playlist I've set up because really, I don't have the free time to mess with such things. Please give us Spotify (or even Google Music or whatever they want to call it these days)

Last edited:
I wonder when the Slacker contract ends. At this point, it seems like the only way to get Spotify is for Slacker to shut down as a company (like Rdio). It’s really too bad it was acquired last year for $50M by LiveXLive (Compare that to Spotify’s recent $30B IPO) to keep them afloat. It’s really hard to imagine it being a sustainable business with such a limited user base. My suspicion is that the Tesla contract is the only thing keeping them alive as a company.

This may sound mean (I honestly think their product is horrible), but maybe we should be petitioning to shut down Slacker!

I just got my Model 3 this week. I love everything about it except the entertainment system. I absolutely despise that you're expected to pick up your phone and interact with it while you're driving in order to start a podcast, audiobook, or a specific song/album/artist. It's absurd and unsafe.

The Model 3 already has that pop-up media hub at the bottom of the screen. They should be able to allow you to display Apple CarPlay or Android Auto within that window at the correct aspect ratio.

I've also tried using the built in voice recognition system... and it always fails. I wish it would pass on the commands through Siri.

Sign up for a paid account, use that login and then you can listen to whole albums.
No you can't. Slacker itself now says that it doesn't support Premium features on Teslas. They refunded my membership when I complained. Tesla has no excuse now for not permitting Spotify but it doesn't seem to care. And it is ridiculous - and dangerous - that in this day and age you can't even skip to the next track using the steering wheel controls for ANY of the music sources

No you can't. Slacker itself now says that it doesn't support Premium features on Teslas. They refunded my membership when I complained. Tesla has no excuse now for not permitting Spotify but it doesn't seem to care. And it is ridiculous - and dangerous - that in this day and age you can't even skip to the next track using the steering wheel controls for ANY of the music sources

?
I use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks all the time. Can do it on USB source, phone apps via BT, and Tesla's built-in Slacker Radio. I've not used TuneIn.

He’s spreading FUD. I’ve got a slacker premium account and can skip tracks, listen to any song, create playlists on the website and listen to those in the car.

I suppose you do still only get these functions at 64kbps? Are you talking about actual playlists or the custom stations that can be created on the website? For me, I signed up for my own Plus account, but Custom Stations created by adding artists I like do not show up in the car's Slacker menus.

Works just fine on my phone for amazon music, via the free slacker service, and for youtube etc

I suppose you do still only get these functions at 64kbps? Are you talking about actual playlists or the custom stations that can be created on the website? For me, I signed up for my own Plus account, but Custom Stations created by adding artists I like do not show up in the car's Slacker menus.

Any station I favorite shows in my favorites. Favorited albums show up same way. Custom playlists show up in separate playlists section in interface. (I'm talking about my model S here - haven't confirmed with my wife's model 3 - but frankly I'd be kind of surprised if they worked differently as since v9 everything's basically the same).

I'm hopeful in the future iOS, Android, and automakers develop a new type of API for integrating the phone into the car. Currently CarPlay and Android Auto look like they completely take over the screen, with the option to exit and go back to regular car UI. The alternative that could be a better option is let automakers keep their UI, but open up an API where an individual app asks for permission to insert and integrate into the car's UI. So let's say for Spotify, they expose additional API information so the car can pull playlists, browse tab, search tab, radio, etc from the app. If any streaming occurs it will be over the phone's data plan and through Bluetooth or direct connection. On the vehicle side, like on the Tesla, it will insert a Spotify icon and render basic playlists/search/browse/radio, allowing it to keep its basic functions but allow the car to keep its UI intact. You wouldn't have to load the app on the phone, but in the car UI you click the Spotify icon to launch the app on the phone in the background. I know someone made a Spotify website that you go to in the car's browser that controls Spotify on your phone, so something similar to that but integrated into the car's UI. If Tesla has a deal with Slacker and TuneIn then this might not be possible/allowed, plus Spotify would have to give up its unique UI design and allow the car to dictate how everything shows up. Every other music app could do something like this. It shouldn't put too much CPU cycles compared to doing a full Carplay/Android Auto thing, possibly.

I'm hopeful in the future iOS, Android, and automakers develop a new type of API for integrating the phone into the car. Currently CarPlay and Android Auto look like they completely take over the screen, with the option to exit and go back to regular car UI. The alternative that could be a better option is let automakers keep their UI, but open up an API where an individual app asks for permission to insert and integrate into the car's UI.

You can run car play in a window rather than full screen- several car makers do just that keeping their own UI going around it.

But Tesla has been pretty clear on not being interested in using anyone elses software or APIs.

You can run car play in a window rather than full screen- several car makers do just that keeping their own UI going around it.

But Tesla has been pretty clear on not being interested in using anyone elses software or APIs.

Old MCU1 hardware sounds like it can barely handle v9, so who knows what kind of slowdown CarPlay/Android Auto can do. Apple iOS 1.0 initially refused to have app store or anything, but look at it now. If there was an agreed upon generic API each app can deliver so it can seamlessly integrate into various automakers' UI, maybe it can sidestep CarPlay/Android Auto completely and allow everything to play nice with each other.